✟436,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That’s an odd take.

A disaffected white guy goes around killing people.

Isn’t that a right wing terrorist thing?

Well let's see...

Early on he's robbed and beaten by a racially mixed group of teen boys...and dismisses it with an "they're just kids". Later, he guns down three white stock brokers/traders on a subway, essentially because they were saying some sexually harassing things to a woman while drunk.

He kills one of his coworkers later, a large white man, and simultaneously spares a height impaired coworker because the height impaired one was "nice" to him.

His therapy sessions are essentially tirades about being marginalized...talking about a need to be heard, and seen, and noticed.

The comedic host of talk show, or late night show, makes a joke about his stand up routine...which he's later killed for because the joker sees it as bullying.

His actions directly spark a violent protest movement that attacks random people, the police, and wears masks....not at all unsimilar to ANTIFA.

In fact, all of his victims are wealthy, white, powerful/privileged men who are portrayed as greedy, bullying, sexual harassing. The only character sympathetic to him is a single mother person of color...and that sympathy only exists in his head as a delusion.

Shall I go on?

• Winner
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Who the heck are these "elite" you are going on about? And why would you care what they think about you , given how little you think about them?

IRL I'm an entertainment writer.

I even vaguely step out of line and I'm getting bracketed by all sorts of insults you can only imagine.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,759.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Not really. It's a left wing talking point though.

The movie shows a bunch of angry poor people protesting the 1%. Many of them wear masks as they do so. The main object of their ire is a rich jerk businessman (from New York, let's be honest here) who is running for public office in spite of having no history with governing.

With respect, what part of that sounds like the American right to you?
The gun killing part.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
IRL I'm an entertainment writer.

I even vaguely step out of line and I'm getting bracketed by all sorts of insults you can only imagine.

Well, I am pretty good ant insults, so I can imagine.

Tell you what I cannot imagine though, is why whoever decides to insult you is classed as one of they elite.

In other words, asking the question again, who the heck are these "elite" you keep going on about?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Well, I am pretty good ant insults, so I can imagine.

Tell you what I cannot imagine though, is why whoever decides to insult you is classed as one of they elite.

In other words, asking the question again, who the heck are these "elite" you keep going on about?

Note: link has audio via an integrated streaming radio service; this can be turned off.

2020 Oscar nominations: Austin360's cheers and jeers

This was published in today's Austin-American Statesman newspaper. As in, Austin, the capitol of Texas. This is a daily newspaper that has subscribers all over a roughly 150 mile radius from Austin itself, plus untold numbers of online subscribers.

It's two of their entertainment writers talking about the Oscar nominations.

They are absolutely, foaming-at-the-mouth furious over the fact that Joker was nominated for anything, let alone eleven total nominations. They openly mock the film at every opportunity, and even invoke #GamerGate despite most people that were involved in the movement having moved on to other things.

They also declare it to be "rudeness" that the film Bombshell received any nominations, and literally speculated that Scarlett Johannson's two nominations were the result of human sacrifice.

In between all of this, they go on a series of tirades about films like Hustlers and Us not getting nominated at all and absolutely dismiss Klaus as being Oscar-worthy.

These two... are my competition within the industry.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Note: link has audio via an integrated streaming radio service; this can be turned off.

This was published in today's Austin-American Statesman newspaper. As in, Austin, the capitol of Texas. This is a daily newspaper that has subscribers all over a roughly 150 mile radius from Austin itself, plus untold numbers of online subscribers.

They are absolutely, foaming-at-the-mouth furious over the fact that Joker was nominated for anything, let alone eleven total nominations. They openly mock the film at every opportunity, and even invoke #GamerGate despite most people that were involved in the movement having moved on to other things.

They also declare it to be "rudeness" that the film Bombshell received any nominations, and literally speculated that Scarlett Johannson's two nominations were the result of human sacrifice.

In between all of this, they go on a series of tirades about films like Hustlers and Us not getting nominated at all and absolutely dismiss Klaus as being Oscar-worthy.

OK, you definitely have some weird competition. Anyway, maybe 3rd time is the charm, since you haven't answered the question yet:

What makes these loons "elite"? Who are these "elite"? At the moment, elite seems to be a word you have redefined to mean "people I don't like and/or disagree with"

Note: It's the last time I'll ask, under the assumption that if you wont answer it after 3 requests, further requests are pointless. Ironically it would also make you elite...using your definition of the word.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I thought you were exaggerating...but no...they complained about Joker over and over throughout the article.

I didn't see Hustlers or Little Women...but what exactly about Us did they think was overlooked by the academy? Maybe because it was following up Get Out I expected more from it...but it was kind of a middle of the road horror movie. It felt like one of those horror movies that would have benefited from not explaining the "scary". The doppelgangers were more interesting when they didn't have some goofy underground government cloning explanation behind them.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
OK, you definitely have some weird competition.

They're not "weird" as far as Hollywood is concerned; rather, they're a part of the in-crowd and echoing the same sentiment.

Thus, the answer to your question. You have to have the "proper" pedigree, the "proper" connections, and the "proper" point of view on every single given issue and controversy. If you do that, you're welcomed as one of the elite, the "good and proper" crowd who can be relied on to get the vapors whenever a movie doesn't cater to their whims or the general public goes against their dictats.

Once that happens, you can reliably get all of the goodies that come with being a part of the scene, even if it's only access to events hosted by your fellow elites. This kind of networking reinforces the group-think, as deviating from the norm would cost you this access *and* anything the actual entertainment companies might fork over accordingly. Yes, there's a real issue with companies using goods, travel, and other such things to bribe people with, especially since it's not always seen as bribery by insiders due to no cash actually changing hands.

In contrast, you've got someone like me, a fan made good. I started out delivering newspapers to pay for college after the recession cost me a good entry-level office job, started picking up stringer work after a while, and was randomly offered the position after a change in management.

I didn't come up through the arts scene, but rather was studying for a career in insurance when everything went down. I view things from the perspective of an everyman going to the theater for entertainment rather than an artist or pundit, and so rate films accordingly.

I write for a series of small papers in Central Texas, and so by all rights I should be well below their radar. But once word gets out that I've gone against the grain on something, it's not long before someone's in my social media feeds screaming at me. Basically, I'm viewed as something of a traitor to the cause because I dare to actually write for my blue-collar audience than some circle of big-wigs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They're not "weird" as far as Hollywood is concerned; rather, they're a part of the in-crowd and echoing the same sentiment.

Thus, the answer to your question. You have to have the "proper" pedigree, the "proper" connections, and the "proper" point of view on every single given issue and controversy. If you do that, you're welcomed as one of the elite, the "good and proper" crowd who can be relied on to get the vapors whenever a movie doesn't cater to their whims or the general public goes against their dictats.

Once that happens, you can reliably get all of the goodies that come with being a part of the scene, even if it's only access to events hosted by your fellow elites. This kind of networking reinforces the group-think, as deviating from the norm would cost you this access *and* anything the actual entertainment companies might fork over accordingly. Yes, there's a real issue with companies using goods, travel, and other such things to bribe people with, especially since it's not always seen as bribery by insiders due to no cash actually changing hands.

In contrast, you've got someone like me, a fan made good. I started out delivering newspapers to pay for college after the recession cost me a good entry-level office job, started picking up stringer work after a while, and was randomly offered the position after a change in management.

I didn't come up through the arts scene, but rather was studying for a career in insurance when everything went down. I view things from the perspective of an everyman going to the theater for entertainment rather than an artist or pundit, and so rate films accordingly.

I write for a series of small papers in Central Texas, and so by all rights I should be well below their radar. But once word gets out that I've gone against the grain on something, it's not long before someone's in my social media feeds screaming at me. Basically, I'm viewed as something of a traitor to the cause because I dare to actually write for my blue-collar audience than some circle of big-wigs.

You appear to have a chip on your shoulder the size of Texas, good luck with everything, you wont be hearing from me again on this topic.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm still trying to figure out, who are the Hollywood elite? "Why the people that select these movies for the Academy Awards!" They chose Joker, gave it 11 nominations, I guess they're not elite. "No! Those are the Hollywood elite I've been telling you all about!" But they just selected the very film you attack them as haters of...

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You appear to have a chip on your shoulder the size of Texas, good luck with everything, you wont be hearing from me again on this topic.

He's in the business of giving his opinion. He reviews and critiques movies.

That doesn't really work if he's expected to promote a particular viewpoint or set of beliefs. If he does that...and it's not his personal viewpoint or beliefs...then he's no longer giving a genuine review or critique.

He would be giving a fake one.

Given that, and the fact that he's seeing a particular viewpoint being promoted....and anyone who doesn't promote said viewpoint is being attacked ostracized....I think being frustrated with that situation is an entirely reasonable response.

I doubt anyone wants to be a tool for someone else's propaganda.

Reactions: Ironhold
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm still trying to figure out, who are the Hollywood elite? "Why the people that select these movies for the Academy Awards!" They chose Joker, gave it 11 nominations, I guess they're not elite. "No! Those are the Hollywood elite I've been telling you all about!" But they just selected the very film you attack them as haters of...

I think it's key to remember that Oscar votes are anonymous.

Even though they may have to promote a progressive liberal agenda and hate on the Joker publicly...

...when they get to express their opinions through an anonymous vote, it's a different story entirely.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Sooo which films are your candidates for best picture of 2019?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Sooo which films are your candidates for best picture of 2019?

I'm not at the computer I use to do my reviews, so I can't quite go back and double-check the scores I gave.

But of the films I have personally seen (I don't get promotional screeners; I see it in theaters like everyone else), these would be my top noms:

Joker

Rambo: Last Blood

Hobbs & Shaw

Midway

Furthermore, I would have added Spies In Disguise to the best animated picture category, and Disney Nature: Penguins to the best documentary category.

The Irishman, The Two Popes, A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, Marriage Story, Parasite, Harriet, Bombshell, Judy, JoJo Rabbit, Richard Jewell, The Lighthouse, I Lost My Body, and Klaus all did not open at the theater here in town, nor did it show any of the foreign or documentary nominees.

So they're automatically excluded from any list I might assemble as I simply never saw them.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm not at the computer I use to do my reviews, so I can't quite go back and double-check the scores I gave.

But of the films I have personally seen (I don't get promotional screeners; I see it in theaters like everyone else), these would be my top noms:

Joker

Rambo: Last Blood

Hobbs & Shaw

Midway

Furthermore, I would have added Spies In Disguise to the best animated picture category, and Disney Nature: Penguins to the best documentary category.

The Irishman, The Two Popes, A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood, Marriage Story, Parasite, Harriet, Bombshell, Judy, JoJo Rabbit, Richard Jewell, The Lighthouse, I Lost My Body, and Klaus all did not open at the theater here in town, nor did it show any of the foreign or documentary nominees.

So they're automatically excluded from any list I might assemble as I simply never saw them.
Some of those films did not open in the theater because they never played in a theater. The Irishman, The Two Popes, and Marriage Story are all Netflix films (which you can see for free if you do not have a subscription by doing a 30-day free trial). Surely you recognize how your list for Best Picture of the year is far less valid when you haven't seen most movies that are released to the general public. And considering you call yourself an entertainment writer, would it hurt to visit the town next door to watch a movie? A 20-minute drive would take you to theaters in Killeen or Harker Heights; theh you could easily see Bombshell, 1917, and Little Women (movies with nominations), or films some say were snubbed like Uncut Gems.

You paint yourself as some sort of every man, but when you claim to be an entertainment writer, you should at least make an effort to see the films released over the past year. Your list of films sounds lazy, especially when some of the films that didn't open in your town could be seen at a theater less than 20 minutes away. If you increased your drive to an hour (something an entertainment writer would do instead of implying a film isn't good or "too elite" because it's not playing in your small town), you would have access to almost every film nominated this year by simply going to Austin (an awesome city). Entertainment writers watch the good and the bad, and the really good writers know how to recommend films based on the audience it is made for.

One of my favorite reviewers are the guys from Double Toasted (Austin-based) who have films they love (especially when it comes to the comic book genre), but also rate movies with the audience in mind. They do a good job of rating movies within a film's respective wheelhouse, but also give credit for the great films out there that are well-written, well-crafted and do something original (hardly something you can expect from a Rambo, Hobbs & Shaw or Midway (another Roland Emmerich set piece destruction flick).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....So they're automatically excluded from any list I might assemble as I simply never saw them.
I have to second SM's finding. I mean, how seriously are you taking your task if you just wait for the movies to come to your tiny market?

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
A 20-minute drive would take you to theaters in Killeen or Harker Heights; theh you could easily see Bombshell, 1917, and Little Women (movies with nominations), or films some say were snubbed like Uncut Gems.

1. I did in fact see 1917 just the other week. I didn't put it in my list for consideration because I just wasn't impressed with the cinematography (if you know what to look for you can tell all of the cuts and edits) and felt that the other films were a bit better in being character pieces.

2. IRL, I have a spinal condition. This limits my ability to turn my head, which in turn means I have a hard time safely navigating on-ramps / off-ramps if I'm driving by myself. I need someone riding with me who can help me check traffic, and finding someone whose schedule matches my own isn't as easy as it sounds... let alone finding someone as enthusiastic about going two towns over to watch a movie that's not a sure thing.

For example, Heights had a Lionel Richie concert scheduled to air just in time for my birthday last year, but it turns out I'm the only one in my family who likes him. Since my birthday was right around Thanksgiving, it meant the friends of mine who would have been open to seeing it had plans to already be out of town by the scheduled screening date. So... I'm going to have to wait for Redbox.

In contrast, the main highway through town is just an old-school highway without any such things for me to worry about. It has traditional intersections and the businesses are right on it, and so my mirrors are more than adequate to compensate.

This presumes I even want to bother with the highway given how congested it can be, as the way the town is laid out I can get to the local theater just by going through residential zones.

So yeah -> I can literally go to the theater here in town every day of the week if I so desire, but hitting Killeen or Heights is a special trip I have to arrange ahead of time.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's a good thing that Hollywood made its money in the past couple years with the likes of Endgame, the new Star Wars, Joker, and some others. Because 2020's lineup of upcoming films looks bleak. As for Joker and the Irishman..Yes, Phoenix will probably win best actor for his portrayal.

I haven't finished watching the Irishman though. It's a very long movie.

Upvote 0