Ryal Kane

Senior Veteran
Apr 21, 2004
Hamilton
✟13,720.00
Faith
Atheist
groundhog said:
Hey, don't bark at me. I didn't say anything about the school's funding, nor did I say anything about them having the right to enforce their own rules. I'm just saying some of the rules are stupid. Don't you find it a bit absurd that a "Christian" school would enforce a rule stating you aren't allowed to associate with anyone that consumes alcohol? They would have to ban Jesus from their school!!

He wasn't barking. He just uses a big font. :D

It's nuts but I guess it is allowed.
But don't you love the way alcohol consumption is in the same category as sexual assault? It really shows their moral priorities.

Upvote 0

Brennin

Wielder of the Holy Cudgel of Faith
Aug 2, 2005
California
Visit site
✟10,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As others have pointed out, Jerry Falwell runs Liberty, not Pat Robertson. In any event, I had a science teacher who was expelled from Liberty because someone thought he spotted her crawling into a guy's window. As it turned out, it was actually another girl with auburn hair (the guy was the son of a school administrator, IIRC) and my teacher only returned after they apologized profusely and offered to waive her tuition for the remainder of her attendance.

Also, I attended a Mormon school (until I was kicked out for my iconoclasm) where the students are subjected to draconian rules (e.g., sideburns can't extend below the ears, no shorts, no persons of the opposite sex in your bedroom, must live in approved housing, 75% church attendance on average is required, no R-rated movies, curfew)

Upvote 0

HisEagle

Senior Veteran
Feb 26, 2004
✟10,742.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ryal Kane said:
He wasn't barking. He just uses a big font. :D

No, his font had nothing to do with it. (In fact, I like it.) I just used the word "bark" because he seemed to infer that I objected about the way the school is funded or whether they have the right to set their own rules. I wasn't saying anything about those issues. ;)

Ryal Kane said:
It's nuts but I guess it is allowed.
But don't you love the way alcohol consumption is in the same category as sexual assault? It really shows their moral priorities.

Especially when you consider Jesus associated with people who consumed alcohol. If He was so opposed to it, why did He change water into wine? To me, the people who made these rules have it in their head that they are morally superior to Jesus. It's totally ironic. The rules alone would prevent me from even wanting to consider going to school there - not because I think they are too stuffy and ridiculous, but because I would seriously question if they truly taught from the Bible, or if they instead taught their own man-made ideas.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for pointing out my error. I changed the thread title to reflect the appropriate founder's name.

I read the PCC handbook rules and regulations and I must say it is absurd. Primary schools don't even impose such restrictions upon children. What happens when these adults have been shielded from reality enter the real world? How could they possibly be prepared for a world where they aren't forbidden from purchasing gas at a Circle K or go to the local mall past 5pm or sunbathe at a coed beach? I don't mean to imply that a college, particularly a Christian college, should promote an environment of a drunken free-for-all just so students will "get it all out of their systems", but segregated entrances to common areas and not being permitted to interact with a sibling of the opposite sex in an unchaperoned area (to prevent giving the "appearance of evil") is absurd.

If only I knew what they think they're accomplishing.

Upvote 0

Chuck_Darwin

Sep 21, 2002
Holland, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,023.00
Faith
Atheist
Another shining example of the what Liberty University produces is the guys who run Landover Baptist. They were kicked out one semester from graduation.

Of course they are private institution and are allowed to set what ever silly rules they want. Of course they can get no government $.

Am I the only one that find it ironic that they call themselves LIBERTY university?

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't read all the rules but some of them are a bit strict. I've never heard of being punished for watching a Rated R movie. I've not even heard of that a Christian college/university!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I find it so much more ridiculous that parents would send their children to institutions that costs three times as much, set no moral regulations, and then promote co-educational dormitories.

If you want a good sound education, you will not care about rules that deal with socialization. If you want to socialize you may rather attend a party.

Upvote 0

Vastavus

Man is free at the moment he wishes to be
Jan 12, 2005
South Eastern Michigan
✟9,259.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I. MUSIC RESPONSIBILITY

1. Music Standards--At Pensacola Christian College,
we feel it important that our students learn to
appreciate and be involved in music that enhances
their Christian testimony. Therefore, students are
encouraged to listen to classical, semiclassical and
good Christian music. The fine arts staff of the
College acknowledges its responsibility to provide
musical experiences designed to develop the appetites
of our students for such music.
The following types of music are not permitted:
a. Current popular music
b. Jazz, rock, rap, folk, "Nashville" type, or new age
music
c. Religious music performed in the folk, western
rock, or gospel rock style

I pity these people. Why would you ever want to go to a college like this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
KatAutumn said:

LOL- I was just going to link it...

There are so many STRANGE legalistic policies at that school I'm surprised they get students... not quite sure how they are preparing their students for life.... if you can't be trusted to walk in the same stairwell with someone of the opposite sex how are you going to cope off campus? They control every aspect of the lives of their students.. it's bizarre...

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vastavus said:
I pity these people. Why would you ever want to go to a college like this?

Read a little further down.. they can't bring art materials to their residence halls... can you imagine being a creative person in that environment?? My kid wakes up in the middle of the night with ideas ...she'd go nuts without her copic markers on her nightstand at all times LOL.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LittleNipper said:
I find it so much more ridiculous that parents would send their children to institutions that costs three times as much, set no moral regulations, and then promote co-educational dormitories.

If you want a good sound education, you will not care about rules that deal with socialization. If you want to socialize you may rather attend a party.

I don't know.. the rules at these schools are about sooooo much more than socialization.. it's daily living... never mind you can't have physical contact....you can't even walk in the same parking lot...

Music, art, reading materials, everything is censored and monitored.. how do these young adults learn to make a decision in life at a school like this?

Upvote 0

Chajara

iEdit
Jan 9, 2005
Milwaukee
Visit site
✟12,941.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
LittleNipper said:

Children don't go to college. Children go to elementary school, then middle school, then high school. Adults go to college.

These are ADULTS we are talking about. Not children, and not teenagers.

On another note, I did a search through the handbook for rules concerning married students. Are a husband and wife not allowed to room together, or use the same pool or parking lot? I didn't see any exceptions granted them, did anyone else? Surely they won't separate a husband and wife.

Upvote 0

Mr. QWERTY

Jul 21, 2005
✟8,605.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Those Pensacolo people are crazy. Stark raving mad. A few things that I found through that link:

Students
traveling in mixed groups while on cuts should have at
least three persons in their automobile.

Town students and resident men must obtain the
approval of the Student Life Office before accepting
off-campus employment. Resident women must be 25
years of age before being permitted to work off
campus.

Parking Areas--Men students may never be in the
women's parking areas including the parking garage.
Women students may never be in the men's parking lots.

Student Music Groups--All music performed by
individuals or groups in church, Sunday school,
Christian service activities, or other programs on or
off campus must be memorized, checked, and approve
before it is used. Soundtracks may be used as
background music. Consult the Activities Calendar for
the regularly scheduled music checks.

Computers may not be used to play CD or DVD movies.

Room Check--Each day residence rooms will be
inspected beginning at 7:35 a.m. (Sat. and Sun., 9
a.m.).

It goes on and on. Amazing.

To me, this means that the administration does not trust their students at all.

Upvote 0