United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
The Goodly Word That Saveth The Soule

Of Those Who Minister the Word

Psalm 119:113-117
" I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love. Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.
Depart from me, ye evildoers: for I will keep the commandments of my God.
Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.
Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually."

This is the scripture I was led to to start this message on those who minister the Word of God. This also goes for those lay-people who may on occasion speak in the congregation, lead a Bible study, fill in to give a message, etc. It's not just for ordained leaders and elders. Hating vain thoughts, but loving the law of the LORD, making Him your hiding place, your shield: hoping in His Word. And praying always to be upheld, and not ashamed, for I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ.

James 3:1 says, "My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation." It's talking about teachers there, anyone who leads or facilitates in a church body, including a home church. Doesn't matter if it's in front of thousands of people or a few in a living-room. God's expectations are the same.

Paul wrote regarding the Jews in Rome in Romans 2, but this part applies to all of us who might teach the Word in any way: "Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal? Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?" (Romans 2:21-22)
Samuel was called by the LORD, and the Bible says this about him: "And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground." (1 Sam. 3:19) He was a prophet and a judge of Israel, and from everything we know about him, he was blameless: his word was solid, and he ministered only in the things of God, according to Gods will. 1 Samuel 9:6 says this: "Behold now, there is in this city a man of God, and he is an honourable man; all that he saith cometh surely to pass..."

Jonathan Edwards had this to say regarding ministers who handle the Word and minister the ordinances of God before others:
"They are holy, in that God has hallowed them, or consecrated them. They are conversant about holy things. And God ordained them that in them we might be conversant about holy things. They are for a holy use. And it is God who, by his own immediate authority, ordained them for that holy use, which renders them much more sacred than otherwise they would have been."

• Jonathan Edwards: A Warning To Professors or, The Great Guilt Of Those Who Attend On The Ordinances Of Divine Worship, And Yet Allow Themselves In Any Known Wickedness.
Testimony: Let's talk about testimony for a minute. I do not believe we should testify all our GORY. That's what many do - tell how BAD they were. We don't need the sordid details. The Apostle Paul gave a very short one sentence, 10 word testimony in 1 Tim. 1:13, and Philippians 3:5-7 he uses one sentence in 2 verses about his past. Then he says he counts all that as loss for Christ, and as dung, so that he might win Christ. The drunkard, the drug addict, the adulterer, the thief: they don't need you to "relate" to them about what you did that corresponds to what they do. They need to hear and be convinced they are sinners, and they are in dire need of a Saviour, because the wages of sin is death, and that's a second death more terrifying than just physical death, which terrifies most. They don't need to hear your junk. They need to hear about the cross, the blood, that payment for sin that was made by Jesus; They need to hear of the new creature they'll be made: they need to hear about the abundant life they can possess if they are born again by the Holy Spirit of a just and righteous and holy God!

Our testimony should be that which is holy before the LORD: that which is keeping in line with strait Bible teaching. Samuel was called an honorable man. He had integrity.
2 Corinthians 4:2 has this to say, "Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not; But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God."

You know those who have been called to speak or write the Word, to present the Word in truth to others, they often have been refined by the fire? Those who've endured affliction and come out strong in the Lord and in the power of His might, have shed off the besetting sins, they are those more effective.
1 Peter 4:1-2 "Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God."
Let's look at Isaiah 45 here, verses 22 - 25, "Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. Surely, shall one say, in the LORD have I righteousness and strength: even to him shall men come; and all that are incensed against him shall be ashamed. In the LORD shall all the seed of Israel be justified, and shall glory."

Have I righteousness? Christ imputes righteousness to us, and we are called to walk in that righteousness, and in His strength. This is a very powerful scripture here in Isaiah. And here it's not just speaking of the nation Israel, the chosen people, because it says at the beginning, "Look unto me and be saved, all the ends of the earth." Then goes right into the scripture that's quoted in Philippians 2:10-11,
"That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

There's a good Old Testament verse you can use if anyone starts questioning whether or not Jesus is God! And "The LORD" there is Yahweh,
יהוה - the name of God Himself.
As for all the seed of Israel being justified, anyone born again, who has the Spirit of God and of Christ dwelling in them, is of that seed, for Galatians 3:29 says, "And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Now, that's not replacement theology. The church isn't Israel. God is not done with the Jews. It just means Gentiles who are saved are heirs through Christ who was of the tribe of Judah and a descendant of Abraham.

The following are two passages from 1 Timothy and Titus that lay out the qualifications of elders. But elders in the churches are to be examples for everyone else, so it is good to pray and seek these qualities for ourselves. All true Christians are called to this. After all, it is a higher calling. We are not of this world, just as our Saviour said He was not of this world, nor is His kingdom of this world. Amen?

1 Timothy 3:1-13
"This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach,
Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.
Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.
Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus."

Titus 1:6-9,
"If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers."

Now it's a shame I gotta go here, but not every church out there is preaching the Word, and there's a lot that certainly are NOT living it. Or they are using the Bible, but twisting and wresting the scriptures unto their own destruction. I just recently looked up on a church finder website how many LGBTQ affirming churches there were in various parts of the U.S. Must be thousands. I looked at a few of their websites. "Pastors" in same sex marriages. Kids waving rainbow flags. Little kids, like 5 or 6! They say they teach the tolerance and heart of "Jesus." Sorry, not the Jesus of the Holy Scriptures. It's another Jesus. Our Saviour warned that false Christs and false prophets would come. People think that just means kooks who think they're Jesus or say they're Jesus. Yeah, there's been some of those. But the thing to really watch out for is what Paul wrote about to the Galatians and Corinthians. Another spirit, another gospel, another Jesus - those who pervert the gospel of Christ. He says if even we (meaning the ministers, the elders) or an angel preach any other gospel unto you than that which we preached, let him be accursed. Then he repeats it a second time so it'll sink in: if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. Heavy stuff there. Serious stuff. People preaching this junk, and lots of other junk are under a deceiving spirit, a great delusion. Let us who have ears to hear, hear this. Go to the Scriptures, confirm that it's true.

So here are some scriptures warning about leaders who cause others to go astray,

Jeremiah 8:9
"The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them?"

Jeremiah 23:1 & 14
Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the LORD.
"I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness; they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah."

Well, um, yeah - That, certainly. Sadly. That's reality today. Makes me both angry and makes me cry. Angry as in righteous anger...be ye angry and sin not. Pray for them. Because you know what's gonna happen if they continue down the road they're on? They're going to hell. The worst kind of wrath is reserved for those who handle the Word of Truth deceitfully. The dreadful flames burn into the lowest parts of the pit; the painful burning knowledge that you spurned and abused the Word, trampled the precious blood of Christ, treated the LORD as an unholy thing and profane. Those who do such in ministry have a most terrifying and dreadful future unless they repent, O, and most seriously repent.
I pray the Word they claim to teach convict them as they read it, for the Word shall not return void. I pray they are not lost and ordained unto destruction because it would be a most fearsome destruction. Just as Sodom and Gomorrah - that's what we have in society today, and it's crept into the professing church. We know the fate of Sodom, we know that Abrahams pleading did not spare those cities of the burning destruction that fell from God out of heaven and consumed them, till the smoke of their torment ascended up forever.

Jeremiah 23:36,
" And the burden of the LORD shall ye mention no more: for every man's word shall be his burden; for ye have perverted the words of the living God, of the LORD of hosts our God."

That's right. Jesus said "Go and sin no more" - in fact He said, "sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." (John 5:14). Those who pervert the words of the living God will be held accountable by that living God, by Him who judges righteously, whose eyes are as a flame of fire, and His presence a consuming fire: a purging fire, whose fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly purge His floor: He will clean His house, in time, in His time, He will do it. Jesus will come; He will return in power, and He gathers His elect, but the rest: Oh how terrible, for he treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God! And the judgment will be set, and the books opened, and anyone found not written in the book of life shall be cast into the lake of fire, that which was prepared for the devil and his angels, but is also now reserved for anyone who lives in darkness, who has the devil as their father: all those who reject the Lord Jesus Christ.

Ezekiel 13:3,
"Thus saith the Lord GOD; Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing!"

Ezekiel 22:25-28,
"There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a roaring lion ravening the prey; they have devoured souls; they have taken the treasure and precious things; they have made her many widows in the midst thereof.
Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.
Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain.
And her prophets have daubed them with untempered morter, seeing vanity, and divining lies unto them, saying, Thus saith the Lord GOD, when the Lord hath not spoken."

2 Peter 2:1,
"But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction."

Oh, how great a responsibility it is to speak the Word before others; even more so when there are weak brethren, or the lost who know not Christ. It is the highest profession, the highest calling, for it is ordained of God, not of man. Seminary, Bible college, theology training, all that can help you grow in knowledge, but the calling and the anointing comes from God by His Spirit. If you have not the Spirit of Christ, you are none of His. Even the devil has head knowledge of the Scriptures: He used them to try to tempt Christ in the wilderness, but Jesus, full of the Holy Ghost, with the anointing of the father, spoke the Word, and His word was with power. The devil had to flee. The light of Christ shineth in darkness, and the devil cannot abide it. Get in that light!

Isaiah 10:27 tells it: "And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing." It's the anointing that breaks the yoke of bondage, the yoke of sin, the bondage of sin. The sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, most powerful as a two edged sword does pierce and divide, and discerns the thoughts and intents of the heart. Lay yourself bare to this sword, for it seeks not to slay you, but to save you, and it cleanses you, and becomes your weapon against all darkness.

So, to wrap it up, let us all take heed to how we handle the Word of God, and how we are living. We are examples, we are witnesses, no matter what position we may have in the body of Christ. People watch us. If we're sinning, lying, deceiving, foul mouthed: then we are bringing reproach on Christ, we are making mockery of holy things - we are mocking a Holy God, and He does not hold those guiltless who do this. You are the temple of God, and the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are. Therefore glorify Him in your body: you are a living epistle to be read by everyone who encounters you. You are lively stones, built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God by Jesus Christ: We bring a sacrifice of praise, and the LORD inhabits the praises of His people!

If you've done any of this, any of this wickedness that's crept into the churches and into the ministry,repent. Make that repentance sure. And if you are sharing the Word and the faith with others, that's even a higher calling, for as the Scripture says, those who are masters, or teachers - that word in James is didaskalos, means teacher or master, one who teaches. And it says those who do teach will receive a greater condemnation: that being because you're responsible for what you teach.
Ultimately, let us seek the will of the LORD, and pray that He may guide us into all truth, for He is the way, the truth, and the life; Jesus, and no man cometh unto the Father but by Him.
Amen

Last edited: