the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is no accident over 50 Bible translations translated it as "a" prostitute.

I never said it was an accident. They had their reasons. The Greek is the Greek though. And the Greek has "the". End of story.

On this note, I will end this discussion on 1 Corinthians 6. I explained my position fully. I'm confident that it is the strongest interpretation available considering all the contextual evidence.

I'll allow those who have been reading our conversation to decide who had the better arguments.

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never said it was an accident. They had their reasons. The Greek is the Greek though. And the Greek has "the". End of story.

On this note, I will end this discussion on 1 Corinthians 6. I explained my position fully. I'm confident that it is the strongest interpretation available considering all the contextual evidence.

I'll allow those who have been reading our conversation to decide who had the better arguments.
Apparently you didn't even read my post properly. I said the Greek does NOT have "the" in the first mention of prostitute (v15), while the "the" in the second mention of prostitute (v16) was referring to the first mention.

Despite our disagreements, one thing I am pretty sure though, Apostle Paul's warning in 1 Corinthians 6:15-20 is against immorality (πορνεία inappropriate contenteia), not idolatry per se, which was what 1 Corinthians 10:7-22 is about.

flee from idolatry (1 Corinthians 10:14)
Flee immorality (1 Corinthians 6:18)

Perhaps this article would articulate better than I do:

CHRISTIAN PROSTITUTION 1 CORINTHIANS 6:12-20

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The key to understanding what “one flesh” means can be found in the immediate context v. 18-23 provide. God says it is not good for the man to be alone and that He will make for him a helper. After no suitable helper is found amongst the other living creatures, God put Adam into a deep sleep and took a part from his side.

Adam was one, alone in the garden. God opened a wound in Adam's side and took out a woman/helper. Christ was wounded in His side by which we are healed...The Door (back)...ONE (again). The first Adam and the last Adam...Alpha and Omega...

John 14:16 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,

The whole of scripture is a narrative about the journey/process of our soul being reconciled (back) to God.

Hosea 2:19 And I will betroth thee unto me for ever;
yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness,
and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies.
20 I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness:
and thou shalt know the Lord.

Isaiah 54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband;
the Lord of hosts is his name;
and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel;
The God of the whole earth shall he be called.
6 For the Lord hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit,
and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God.

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adam was one, alone in the garden. God opened a wound in Adam's side and took out a woman/helper. Christ was wounded in His side by which we are healed...The Door (back)...ONE (again). The first Adam and the last Adam...Alpha and Omega...

John 14:16 I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever,

The whole of scripture is a narrative about the journey/process of our soul being reconciled (back) to God.

Hosea 2:19 And I will betroth thee unto me for ever;
yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness,
and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies.
20 I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness:
and thou shalt know the Lord.

Isaiah 54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband;
the Lord of hosts is his name;
and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel;
The God of the whole earth shall he be called.
6 For the Lord hath called thee as a woman forsaken and grieved in spirit,
and a wife of youth, when thou wast refused, saith thy God.

I'm not sure if I understand the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to correlate Eve's role to Adam and the Holy Spirit's role to Christ based on the English word "helper" in both passages?

The LXX translates the Hebrew word עֵ֫זֶר (ezer) into the Greek word βοηθός (boetheos) in Genesis 2:18. This word means to help or assist. The Greek word used in John 14:16 is παράκλητος (parakletos). That word means to advise, advocate, or counsel. "Helper" is a lexically weak English translation of parakletos. Other than this imperfect connection in our English Bibles, I don't see a connection in the Greek. I prefer the LEB translation:

John 14:16 (LEB)
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, in order that he may be with you forever.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if I understand the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to correlate Eve's role to Adam and the Holy Spirit's role to Christ based on the English word "helper" in both passages?

The LXX translates the Hebrew word עֵ֫זֶר (ezer) into the Greek word βοηθός (boetheos) in Genesis 2:18. This word means to help or assist. The Greek word used in John 14:16 is παράκλητος (parakletos). That word means to advise, advocate, or counsel. "Helper" is a lexically weak English translation of parakletos. Other than this imperfect connection in our English Bibles, I don't see a connection in the Greek. I prefer the LEB translation:

John 14:16 (LEB)
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, in order that he may be with you forever.

My emphasis is more on what happened to Adam in the garden as one who became two and our soul journey/process. It is relative to the wound that must be healed, God our husband, the Bridegroom and the feast of a woman or the marriage feast we are invited to and being the bride. Adam ate a feast prepared by the woman and God drove him out of the garden. Through Christ/The Door we are invited to a marriage feast prepared by The Father and served to us.

It is a glimpse of our spiritual journey/process of soul...and the two shall become One (again). Our journey begins with duality within, losing our soul to find it again... that is promised to be healed In Christ.

The one who has the bride is the bridegroom...(John 3:29 )

Ephesians 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

God said -
Genesis 3:17 "And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying Thou shalt not eat of it:"

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My emphasis is more on what happened to Adam in the garden as one who became two and our soul journey/process. It is relative to the wound that must be healed, God our husband, the Bridegroom and the feast of a woman or the marriage feast we are invited to and being the bride. Adam ate a feast prepared by the woman and God drove him out of the garden. Through Christ/The Door we are invited to a marriage feast prepared by The Father and served to us.

It is a glimpse of our spiritual journey/process of soul...and the two shall become One (again). Our journey begins with duality within, losing our soul to find it again... that is promised to be healed In Christ.

The one who has the bride is the bridegroom...(John 3:29 )

Ephesians 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

God said -
Genesis 3:17 "And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying Thou shalt not eat of it:"

Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like you agree that "one flesh" has more to do with the type of relationship we have to another than with mere sex or progeny.

This is also why another kinship analogy (adoption) is often used to describe a Christian's relationship with God.

Galatians 4:4-5
But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.

Ephesians 1:5-6
In love he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.

Romans 8:14-15
For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”

Upvote 0