Okay to unfriend opposite sex person on FB that treated me poorly?

Okay to unfriend on FB an opposite sex non Christian that treated me badly?

• no - you could be a witness

• yes - he treated you poorly and could be a bad influence on you

• it doesn't matter in the long run

• would need more information to decide

Results are only viewable after voting.

comidapicante

Sep 12, 2013
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am seeking advice on a practical matter.
As a Christian woman, is it appropriate, godly, justified etc. to unfriend someone on Facebook if that person is a) a man b) not a Christian c) someone I went on 2 dates with, and treated me poorly?
It's a long story but we met randomly one day, started talking on the phone which was great, and went on a great first date but then he became mean.
My reason for wanting to remove him from FB friends is that I feel that he's a danger to me emotional and spiritually, and we had a strong attraction so I don't want to be tempted. We were not friends before we dated, and after I told him it was best that we not date, he asked to be friends so I agreed, but then he continued to treat me poorly.
I don't necessarily want to see his updates (and I'm tempted to look) and I also would rather him not see my photos, updates, etc.
I gave him many chances (forgiveness) and confronted him with love and respect but he became defensive and angry. So it seems that there's not even an opportunity to witness.

Calcemo

Aug 1, 2013
✟1,239.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a Christian woman, is it appropriate, godly, justified etc. to unfriend someone on Facebook if that person is a) a man b) not a Christian c) someone I went on 2 dates with, and treated me poorly?
It's a long story but we met randomly one day, started talking on the phone which was great, and went on a great first date but then he became mean.
My reason for wanting to remove him from FB friends is that I feel that he's a danger to me emotional and spiritually, and we had a strong attraction so I don't want to be tempted. We were not friends before we dated, and after I told him it was best that we not date, he asked to be friends so I agreed, but then he continued to treat me poorly.
I don't necessarily want to see his updates (and I'm tempted to look) and I also would rather him not see my photos, updates, etc.
I gave him many chances (forgiveness) and confronted him with love and respect but he became defensive and angry. So it seems that there's not even an opportunity to witness.

It's ok to unfriend anyone on the internet, and you don't have to give them a reason, but it's up to you whether or not to leave them in the dark or not. I'm not sure why you are attracted to someone who you feel is a danger to you emotionally and spiritually, if I see wide spiritual differences or feel threatened emotionally, it leads to not being attracted to that person, not the opposite.

Upvote 0

Evexchange

Booyyyaaaahhh
Aug 1, 2013
✟7,849.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
FB also has a block option that you could make good use of hehe.....Anyways, since you know the person personally unfriending or blocking online is not the big deal. R u able to unfriend him from your life? I'm sure he has your number, will u be able to tell him, "we can't go out on another date n you can't call me ever again" if he calls n asks? But truth is, if he's bad influence, you SHOULDNT be yoked :)

Upvote 0

2bituser

You can unfriend whoever you want whenever you want for any reason, because nobody is owed your friendship.

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Totes!

In fact, it's okay to unfriend ANYONE who doesn't treat you well, except family. They are blood and you will want to make ammends. Unfriending your sister in the next room is childish.
But if it's an acquaintance, an old classmate, an ex, an ex-coworker, even a current coworker.... there's no rule that says you have to keep them on there. If they did something to you out of pure meanness, it's best to cut ties. If you wouldn't hang out with them or take their calls, why keep them in your social loop? If they are best friends with your other friends,
and your other friends start asking questions when he/she finds him/herself blocked from your account, then be honest with them. If they are your true friends, they won't turn their backs because of a little drama.

I removed several guys who I'd added in my party days who now are still constantly posting drunk pics because they HAVEN'T outgrown that scene and I've moved on.
I've done the same with party girls too.

Then I removed a guy who is just a jerk to ladies in general and would write rude comments on my pictures.

Then I removed another guy who I thought about dating, but who turned out to be a pompous narcissist and would always bombard my wall with "motivational" stuff because "I wasn't motivated and a go-getter like him".

*oh and I almost forgot- last week I removed someone who was a friend of a friend who had posted a status and I made an innocent comment and he had the gall to respond with a resounding "F YOU"... that is NOT how you talk to ladies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neve

Always even
Jul 27, 2006
Corona
✟14,608.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, unfriend him, but don't block him. Blocking is mean and should only be done in extreme situations...and in my experience, blocking is of limited value if you and he have a high number of mutual friends. My "crush" blocked me (no idea why since I seldom spoke to him and was never really FB friends with him to begin with - mind games in my opinion), yet since we have 60 mutual FB friends, pictures of him and stuff, misc. comments still get through my newsfeed. And I'm positive that my pictures with mutual friends appear in his newsfeed as well.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I can't imagine an instance when it wouldn't be okay. Personally, I think it sets good boundaries, you're saying "If you're going to be a jerk, you can forget communicating with me."

I would do it. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

comidapicante

Sep 12, 2013
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's ok to unfriend anyone on the internet, and you don't have to give them a reason, but it's up to you whether or not to leave them in the dark or not. I'm not sure why you are attracted to someone who you feel is a danger to you emotionally and spiritually, if I see wide spiritual differences or feel threatened emotionally, it leads to not being attracted to that person, not the opposite.

I did decide to remove him from my FB friends; I'd already respectfully addressed my concerns with his behavior and he was pretty unkind in response.

I'm referring to physical attraction, but yes, I completely agree that there should be no attraction of any kind to someone is spiritually unmatched and treats me poorly. For some of us women that is a process for various reasons.

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate them.

Upvote 0