I dreamed I was at a gathering in a house I've never been. It is
bright and sunny outside. I'm at a counter in the great room /
kitchen, when my parents arrive and enter through sliding glass
doors.

My father makes his greetings but my mom, dressed in a Sherlock
Holmes outfit, is oblivious to people. She is scanning the crowd
and getting more frustrated with every passing moment. She adjusts the
bills on her Sherlock Holmes hat, as though she were adjusting an
antenna. I get a faint sense she is 'scanning' for me (but I'm not sure).
She hasn't seen me yet, and doesn't know I'm there.

My father notices me right away. As our eyes meet, we can't help but smile
as my mother adjusts her 'hat'.

-end-

Any thoughts?

hadasseh

Seeker of Light
Dec 29, 2009
✟8,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When you dream of family/friends . . . what clues do you get in your dreams that let you know it is literally about the person, or if the person is only symbolic? Could you tell if they were literal or symbolic? I'm also curious as to how other people identify this, since I have finally figured it out in my dreams -- just wondering how it works for you.

Upvote 0

Firewater

Regular Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2009
✟24,698.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I dare not do a highly detailed analytical break-down of this dream :)

I think sometimes we are just meant to catch the spirit of the dream & it looks like you have done that - lighten up, enjoy life & relationships.

God bless

Hadasseh,
I think discerning the symbolic from the literal is one of the great challenges of dream/vision interpretation. But my gut feel is about 90% of the things/people in dreams are symbolic 90% of the time :). I have regularly found that people who have an obvious & sometimes hard to understand prophetic gifting have more frequent literal dreams.

So if we go symbolic, I think we'll be right 90% of the time :)

If we are actively engaged with something or someone in ae dream, I think it usually means it is symbolic. If something is more remote from us, e.g. we are looking on from a distance, or as an observer, or we hear but don't see, or see but don't hear, it can sometimes :) mean it is literal.

God bless

God bless

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
but my mom, dressed in a Sherlock
Holmes outfit, is oblivious to people.
Oh Mom, always so subtle about getting her family to the movies. :D

I dreamed I was at a gathering in a house I've never been.

Even though your family members were the focus of the dream, you were all at a new location... in someone else's territory.

It is bright and sunny outside.
Public contentment or acceptance, no danger apparent.

I'm at a counter in the great room /
kitchen,
Where provisions are served and prepared. Laid out to see and work with.

This hints of a board of trade office, embassy, Christian leader's conference, denomination administration, department of agriculture, energy conference ... somewhere that work, is done in preparation for provision. Not just talk.

when my parents arrive

Entities with a tight and positive relation to you. (Since you felt free to tell your parents the dream, I assume you are fond of them.) Entwined in a way that you all presume connectivity.

and enter through sliding glass
doors.
Transparent to the outside, connection to the public.These might be spokesmen, or just more visible people. You are positioned as a worker, and they are closer to PR.

My father makes his greetings but my mom, dressed in a Sherlock Holmes outfit,
(laughing again) Watchdog organizations, places like the UN, CDC and WHO that try to monitor problems around the world. Narcs, investigators, people who don't trust potential corruption within their companies. Denominational assignments to correct or investigate problems within a church.

What seems comical to us (or not) is how blatantly she approaches investigation. We notice the facade before we notice what she's doing. Is she really investigating, or only making the appearance? This might be as important as what she is aiming to find out.

is oblivious to people. She is scanning the crowd and getting more frustrated with every passing moment. She adjusts the bills on her Sherlock Holmes hat, as though she were adjusting an antenna. I get a faint sense she is 'scanning' for me (but I'm not sure).

That's probably true. If you get a sense of who you represent, if not yourself, then this might become clearer.

She is either scrutinizing your actions, or hoping to find something wrong. Not finding you in the room seems a little odd, since she is your mother.

I wonder if you got a flashback feeling of times you were in trouble at home... the cookie jar experiences where you were fairly innocent, but the authorities of the house were still planning on holding you accountable.

She hasn't seen me yet, and doesn't know I'm there.
In your mind, you are doing nothing wrong. You feel watched, suspect, and hunted down, but you don't have a clue why.

My father notices me right away. As our eyes meet, we can't help but smile as my mother adjusts her 'hat'.

The head can show authority and mindset, incubation of ideas. The hat covers and shelters the head, but also can be a showy representation of a role -- a crown, helmet, fruit basket, a Buckingham bear hat. She seems to be drawing attention to her authority in this role.

Think of news stories over the last few years, where mortgage companies were blamed, executives were scrutinized, airports were restructured and tied more closely with governments, Catholic priests were investigated, media preachers' expenses were publicized.

The biggest thing that strikes me, is the unusually blatant attempt made to look like [she] is looking for trouble.

Upvote 0

*Charis*

*Psalm 36:9*
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you for responding... alot of insight given. I appreciate it!

*BobW- I do always get the feeling from her that you describe.

*Hadasseh- I'm still asking the Lord about this. I'm thinking it may be
both literal / symbolic.

*Firewater- My freedom of fear/judgment is a work in progress. That
I was 'light' in face of scrutiny is significant. I think the time is coming
when true believers are also going to need to be free from the fear of
public opinion / man's scrutiny.

*Heron-
You've shown the highlights of the dream with great accuracy, and
left me with much to prayerfully ponder... especially what I've quoted,
as it is what stood out to me the most as well.
Heron said:
The biggest thing that strikes me, is the unusually blatant attempt made to look like [she] is looking for trouble.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What stood out to me the most as well. -C

Tie this in with what Bob said --
Your mother trying to "figure you out." Perhaps in some way/s she finds you a "mystery" or a "hard case." -B

I assumed that you felt innocent, while a mother sometimes fears their child is doing something horrible when they are not.

Usually a mother would prefer not to find the bad news. But they also find it hard to reconcile the child has a broad life outside of the home... a different personality and set of goals... so they try to set their minds at ease by prying with question and snooping into drawers or diaries.
(Not the mothers here of course -- those other mothers.)

I'm thinking it may be both literal / symbolic. - C

I'm also curious as to how other people identify this
-H

In the last year, people here have found that true of some of their dreams.

If we are actively engaged with something or someone in ae dream, I think it usually means it is symbolic. If something is more remote from us, e.g. we are looking on from a distance, or as an observer, or we hear but don't see, or see but don't hear, it can sometimes
smile.gif
mean it is literal.
-F

Ha, that's a good point. That often applies in my dreams.

Upvote 0