• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OCD is destroying my faith... HELP!

kodadog1024

Aug 17, 2011
✟10,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Raven, not to be mean, really, but what are you doing to help yourself, other than being on these forums, cross-debating any input and or advise anyone gives you? All your saying is "what if I doubt, what if I don't believe, what if, what if, what if.... Like I said, God could beat you over the head with a 2 by 4, say He is the maker of the Universe, and you'd probably still doubt His existence. It's OCD. It's the doubting disease. You know what your doubts and fears are ... so go do something about it. Many of us gave you some positive solutions to implement. It may not be easy, BUT you can do it!! But you have to WANT to do it. It's easy to stay in these forums, seeking reassurance, doubting, staying scarred, being in a comfort zone. It takes action to overcome what scares you most, ie; switching up your daily routine and asking yourself what works and what doesn't. Taking the right medication, working out, reading the Bible, joining a support group, etc, etc. In the end, no one will ever give you an answer to satisfy your doubt. You have to overcome it, live with it and adapt to it.

Upvote 0

kodadog1024

Aug 17, 2011
✟10,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do I live with it and adapt to it. There is no way OCD causes u to doubt God exists. There used to be a guy on here he told me that
He was rude and mean to me but that statement does make sense.

Do you understand what you just wrote there? ^ OCD causes you to doubt anything... Christ, God, Heaven, Hell, whether you will die from aids, even though you've lived in a bubble all your life, whether your a monster because your bombarded by intrusive thoughts day in and day out, maybe you'll die from touching the door knob... or maybe you'll go to Hell because you don't believe.

Or maybe deep down in your heart, you already know you love Christ and you've been saved a long time ago. Your mind might never let go of that fear, that doubt. What doesn't change is that you love ice skating in God's arms, and that makes you happy. That is true, that you believe and makes you happy.

Upvote 0

kerrysue

Dec 18, 2011
✟15,140.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Raven, you do believe (choice, not a feeling) or you wouldn't even be on here trying to get help. It also takes faith to believe God does not exist, in fact a lot more faith. Right now you just can't reason any of this stuff out, it only makes things worse. But it can't hurt to at least get medicines and therapy and see what you think after that, right?

Upvote 0

kerrysue

Dec 18, 2011
✟15,140.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Worried One, who cares what kind of doubt it is? It is obviously consuming your thoughts as you are on here so much and that right there shows that you are obssessing. Do you know anyone else that worries so much about this kind of thing? Getting help medically and with therapy will just help you to see the truth and then you won't struggle so with doubts, whether they are real ones or OCD ones!

Upvote 0

kerrysue

Dec 18, 2011
✟15,140.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Worried One, we must be on here at the same time :) I guess what I wrote before tells you that I had the exact same thoughts. The fear that getting help will somehow keep you from realizing the truth is obviously an ocd thing. Now it sounds crazy to me but then it made sense like it does to you. Like Kodadog is saying to you and Raven, you both need to get therapy and medicines that are working for you before you can "see" things correctly and until then, it won't help to keep questioning. I am praying for you and Raven both and would love to hear you are taking steps to get the help you need.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kerrysue

Dec 18, 2011
✟15,140.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, yes, yes, Worried One! If you want to be saved, that right there is the Holy Spirit working in you! In our natural sinful selves we would not even have that desire :) That also was something that helped me as I was healing. And Raven, I don't know who told you that not believing God exists was not OCD, but like Kodadog said, all the books/medical info on OCD will tell you it is just whatever fear you are obssessing on--and usually the things we obssess on are the exact things that underneath we really, really want to believe or that are most important to us. You need to read up on OCD itself and not go by what we are all saying--get your info from doctors and pyschiatrists who have studied the brain. I would love to hear you both are getting help and seeing light at the end of the tunnel :) Love & prayers...

Upvote 0

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I've never experience what you go thru but, I have had some anxiety provking thoughts too. Some times we have to reach out of the box and get some type of mental treatment. I take meds for my OCD and it waxes and wanes but I really havn't dealy with it extremeli in awhile. Just keep on the good fight of faith and seek out some resources that will help you in the fight.

Upvote 0

kerrysue

Dec 18, 2011
✟15,140.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly what I am trying to tell you, Worried One--I even thot of that when I was writing my last post--that now you would say you are afraid you don't really want to be saved. I did that all the time. And Raven, you are doing the same thing, just picking on some other little thread of what someone here is saying and then you are thinking that is what you now believe or don't believe. OCD!!! Those are clear signs that that is exactly what you both have!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheWorriedOne

Dec 7, 2011
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So basically OCD is trying to do everything it can to make me doubt my faith in Gof? And me "not knowing" if I want to be saved is OCD? Because itvseems like now I'm worried abut this and not even doubting God's existence. So I still really am saved? it seems like whenever I get good news saying I'm saved because of this I start to doubt that.

Upvote 0

TheWorriedOne

Dec 7, 2011
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Can someone please help me well first of all I go see the doctor the 25th. Anyways when I was born I suffered a stroke that gave me mild cerebral palsy and I can't really use my left hand which prevents me from doing things I would like to not necessities but more extra cirricualar hobby stuff. Well this past hour I've been down in the dumps upset and angry asking God why he did this to me why he made me like this then I question why a God that loves me would do this to me. Which bothers me even more because I'm not trusting God and my stupid OCD won't leave me alone and it feels like it's turning me into an unbeliever.

Upvote 0

kerrysue

Dec 18, 2011
✟15,140.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Worried One, good news that you are going to the doctor on the 25th and I would recommend telling the doctor about these conversations on here even and your worries, depression, etc. If the doctor isn't one that has much experience in OCD, he/she might know one who does. Depression is usually related to OCd and common for the two to go together. Read the Psalms--memorize Psalm 139 and fill your mind with Scripture these days.

Upvote 0

lilipunzel

Jan 7, 2012
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a Christian with OCD, praying can actually make it worse. The praying can turn into a compulsion and make the OCD worse. If you have OCD and want to pray,create a time every day perhaps once a day where you will pray for a limted amount of time. No praying at any other time. It is imp[ortant to stay very structured otherwise you will create compulsions that make things worse. Please read Stop Obsessing by Edna Foa. It will help you to understand the disorder of OCD better and how ot treat it.

Upvote 0