• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OCD is destroying my faith... HELP!

TheWorriedOne

Dec 7, 2011
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I can't take this much more I'm tired of it these stupid worries and doubts not knowing if I'm saved I just want God but it feels so impossible to have him. I'm not even sure if I believe.... I can't take constant praying or anything. I just wish I could have my relationship with God and live my life but it's impossible when I'm constantly worrying.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2010
✟8,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I can't take this much more I'm tired of it these stupid worries and doubts not knowing if I'm saved I just want God but it feels so impossible to have him. I'm not even sure if I believe.... I can't take constant praying or anything. I just wish I could have my relationship with God and live my life but it's impossible when I'm constantly worrying.

Hello buddy, sorry I havent been here in a few days. First of all God knows your thoughts and your worries. Sometimes when we have scrupulosity we can actually pray too much. Try this, Take a day or 2 off from praying and see if it eliviates the anxiety a bit. Remember God hears your prayers the first time and knows your heart (beyond the OCD).

Believe me I went through a rocky period of my own last week, and I know your frustration bro. Just remember what I said about faith the size of amustard seed and hold onto that. What you need to do now is focus on having a good therapist and therapy. When OCD attacks its one of the most frustrating disorders, and when It tries to attack our faith, it is even more horrifying.

Focus on reminding yourself to put a label on these thoughts when they are there. When they come tell yourself "here come the OCD thoughts again" so that your brain gets used to separating these thoughts from who you truely are.

Remember my friend, you are a saint in the making. nothing the ocd or satan can do can change this.

Please keep me informed about how the therapist appointments are going, and dont be afraid to pm me anytime u need to talk ok?

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Why aren't you sure you believe?

Fast from secular music, movies and interests etc. Give up everything to him, and seek him. Strive to live a life pleasing to him. You will notice changes, big changes.

Jeremiah 29:13
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29:12-14 (in Context)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheWorriedOne

Dec 7, 2011
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I haven't posted on here awhile I know but I've been having problems again I doubt or at least I think I do I'm not sure. I have anixiety where I think I don't believe in God and don't feel like I do. I don't like to do anything fun either because then I worry I'm not confronting these doubts and these doubts will become beliefs or already are beliefs.

Upvote 0

Riverz

Mar 30, 2012
✟7,616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wrote this a few days ago, I am learning to live with OCD.

Come Here. I have something to tell you.
Its the way I walk with God,
The way I talk with God,
The way I get all awkward with God
That let's me control, capture,
to take Hold...in a way
that thought that intrudes on me...in a way
that come in and out without asking...in a way
that distract me and keep me busy...in a way
Thoughts that never used to leave
the way I would like them to leave...
Quietly.
No, no no... LEAVING LOUDLY!!!
Always Making a scene...for EVeryone to see.

Leaving marks, marring up his masterpiece
Like a Shining, leaving a Trail
To Be Followed by Anything that is AFTER me.

Not anymore...I don't need to flee.
I was made for Greater...in a way
Just THIS WAY...This is how I am meant to be

I BELIEVE he has EMPOWERED me
To cause these thoughts to become more insight to see what could be
rather than whats to become of me.

And IF I AM to be OCD
Then let me be obsessed in He.
He that made me this way.
And Let my compulsions be In He,be Compelled by the things HE puts in me
and in the way of me.

Let He that is Perfect bring Order to this disorder.
Let He that is Perfect be perfect in me, To Perfect Me,
to Show me how to be JUST LIKE HE!

- Riverz 3-2012

Upvote 0

raven1

Jun 6, 2011
Richmond, Va.
✟2,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is what terrifies me. Riverz this song shows you believe in God I don't have any urge to do anything for God. The only reason I would want to is to escape hell. Our relationship is gone and part of me says sweet. I want to be a atheist anyway.

Upvote 0
S

SeraphimsCherub

This is what terrifies me. Riverz this song shows you believe in God I don't have any urge to do anything for God. The only reason I would want to is to escape hell. Our relationship is gone and part of me says sweet. I want to be a atheist anyway.

Do you think being an atheist will be better for your OCD??

Upvote 0

alt6119

Apr 7, 2012
✟15,167.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
I have been going through the same thing you have, worriedone, for a while now! I can pinpoint the day and time. I had strong faith, but then the OCD started attacking. Before the OCD in regards to my faith, I had a strong urge to be a hypochondriac. Thankfully, with medication, that part has gone down quite a bit as well as worrying about my faith as much. How have you guys gotten through this? I'm going through a hard time myself right now. I want to strongly believe everything without doubt. I know in my heart it is true, but it is like I question everything in my mind if that makes any sense.

Upvote 0

alt6119

Apr 7, 2012
✟15,167.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Seems you've had an experience with this Christian-Catholic - I would love for you to add me to your prayer list! I am a lot better than I was let's say two or three years ago, but it is still very difficult for me.

I can't send a private message until I do 15 posts - kind of annoying, but that's just the way it is I guess!

Hello buddy, sorry I havent been here in a few days. First of all God knows your thoughts and your worries. Sometimes when we have scrupulosity we can actually pray too much. Try this, Take a day or 2 off from praying and see if it eliviates the anxiety a bit. Remember God hears your prayers the first time and knows your heart (beyond the OCD).

Believe me I went through a rocky period of my own last week, and I know your frustration bro. Just remember what I said about faith the size of amustard seed and hold onto that. What you need to do now is focus on having a good therapist and therapy. When OCD attacks its one of the most frustrating disorders, and when It tries to attack our faith, it is even more horrifying.

Focus on reminding yourself to put a label on these thoughts when they are there. When they come tell yourself "here come the OCD thoughts again" so that your brain gets used to separating these thoughts from who you truely are.

Remember my friend, you are a saint in the making. nothing the ocd or satan can do can change this.

Please keep me informed about how the therapist appointments are going, and dont be afraid to pm me anytime u need to talk ok?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 14, 2010
✟8,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Seems you've had an experience with this Christian-Catholic - I would love for you to add me to your prayer list! I am a lot better than I was let's say two or three years ago, but it is still very difficult for me.

I can't send a private message until I do 15 posts - kind of annoying, but that's just the way it is I guess!

Hello Alt, prayer request received, consider it done :)
As far as how a person gets through it, remember this as I have also told worriedone. Most os us Christians go through life thinking that warm fuzzier are an Indication of powerfully faith, and while it is comforting to have them, remember that the bible says that Faith isn't dependent on feelings, right now u may believe that your faith might be weak but it is more powerful then you can ever imagine. The fact that you are here says alot about your faith allready.

OCD attacks what we love most in our life and it attacks us through our feelings, so in essence we have to learn not to depend on our feelings for our faith, once we learn to do this this the OCD starts to weaken in intensity.

It's easier said then done, I'm still trying to get to this point myself.
Alt once you get to 15 posts just pm me. Remember that it's biblical that our faith isn't dependent on our feelings. Alt also if you have appologetics questions you can also pm them to me.

Do not give up
Happy Easter to you all:)

Upvote 0

alt6119

Apr 7, 2012
✟15,167.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks Christian-Catholic - I do agree with you that it isn't dependent on feelings, and I've definitely gotten that far. However, obviously, the OCD spurs feelings of anxiety, etc... that are sometimes not too wonderful to say the least. Thanks for the prayers - I look forward to learning more from you about the things that have helped you in your journey.

Upvote 0

chadwilbe

Apr 16, 2012
✟7,643.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
someone please help I have these same feelings that that god isn't real I have been in church all my life but about six months ago I felt like it was time to give my all to christ I have done some really bad things like study other religions but I always came back to christ but when I made that choice to serve him whole hearted two months ago blasphemy start to come in my mind when ever I would read the bible or think of god it has gotten to the point now when ever I think of god I hear you don't believe that and all kinds of unbelief I am worried I have lost my faith I'm am up all the time I feel like I don't care anymore but I still want christ help me someone please

Upvote 0

tripletiger1200

Amazing Grace, How Sweet the Sound
Jun 23, 2011
✟8,151.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Things aren't as ad as they seem chad. I feel your pain, I was exactly like you when everythig started. I had many a sleepless night becausde of it. I have had all sorts of nasty blasphemies run through my mind, I have felt rejected by God and Christ. I know it feels bad now, but it gets better. I am consistently amazed at how loving and gracious God is to me despite those thoughts and doubts.just remember, those thoughts aren't from you, they're from a problem with your brain. God understands and still loves you. He is not going to punish you for thoughts you don't want. I promise this. I'll be praying for you. In the mean time I suggest you spend more time here at the forums. They really helped me in the. Very beginning, and still do. Christ never rejects someone who comes to Him, he said so himself. Praying for you!

Upvote 0

chadwilbe

Apr 16, 2012
✟7,643.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
thank you.triple tiger after I wrote that I did.read a lot on the forum and it gave me a real since of peace which is a lil unnerving lol because I was scared for so many months but I got to a place were I had no real feelings and I wanted the scare feelings back this is a very confusing thing but once I seen that I want christ and that he will never turn me away because I choose him I feel ok I still am getting thoughts of unbelief but I still choose him and today I'm feeling better

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums