• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OCD is destroying my faith... HELP!

kerrysue

Dec 18, 2011
✟15,140.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Raven, I think as you spend time in God's Word you will doubt less and less because the Holy Spirit will give you confirmation in your heart. Why don't you try reading through the Bible this year? I am doing that again this year and just taking in God's Word slowly through the year is so good. And that is different than reading God's Word to find answers to questions or to answer ocd fears.... But you and Worried One both perhaps cannot realize it right now but you are both just going 'round and 'round on here with the same questions, basically. You both definitely need to get medicine that works for you and therapy before the spiritual stuff will make sense. It does no good right now to try to answer these questions for yourselves, in fact, only is causing you both to spin more crazily. That is exactly what I went through before I got real help. And I know you are doing it because you have this terrible urge/fear that is uncontrollable that you must try to figure this out, etc. Please do get back on after seeing your doctors and tell us what the results were, ok?

Upvote 0

raven1

Jun 6, 2011
Richmond, Va.
✟2,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The bible makes me doubt more because it seems unlikely some of the stuff in there. I just cant KNOW if God can forgive me. I do not believe OCD makes you doubt God is there so I am unexcused. It says we have no excuse to disbelieve in the bible. She when you doubt the stove is off that is real doubt not Ocd causing that doubt. Anyway I cant know so why not worry about worst case. I continue to feel atheists are smarter a lot of the times. I just can not know with certainty I am going to heaven. I read up on Mother Theresa she didn't have OCD and she doubted how can anyone know where she went. I also feel like reading the bible or verses every-night is a chore. How can he still save me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheWorriedOne

Dec 7, 2011
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys first of all God bless each and every one of you who's helped me through this I know Ive repeated myself a lot and probably annoyed a few of you but I want to thank you all for helping me through my fears. Today was kind of a bad day I had thoughts again and other thoughts saying I didnt need God. I've come to the conclusion the best way I can handle this is to assume it's OCD and just ask god to save me because it's hard for me to believe. "So basically depend on God to save me."

Upvote 0

kerrysue

Dec 18, 2011
✟15,140.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Worried One, I am not annoyed, only wanted you to see how you both are having really classic OCD thoughts--and the only way out of that is through getting the physical part working correctly. Raven, you really do believe God exists or you wouldn't be so worried about whether you do or not; you would not even be on here. And it does not matter whether your believing God exists or doesn't is OCD or not--how could taking medicines that would help your serotonin do what it is supposed to hurt you? It can only make you think more "clearly" as you are supposed to.

Upvote 0

raven1

Jun 6, 2011
Richmond, Va.
✟2,403.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think he could exist. I really do not know and that is why I do not know if he can save me or will I should say. I am on Zoloft but I have been on it for sixteen years. The shred of faith I am are near death experiencesbut I rip those up too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kodadog1024

Aug 17, 2011
✟10,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys first of all God bless each and every one of you who's helped me through this I know Ive repeated myself a lot and probably annoyed a few of you but I want to thank you all for helping me through my fears. Today was kind of a bad day I had thoughts again and other thoughts saying I didnt need God. I've come to the conclusion the best way I can handle this is to assume it's OCD and just ask god to save me because it's hard for me to believe.
"So basically depend on God to save us."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We can't POSSIBLY do this by ourselves. It's impossible. Thank God He can and will. Thank you God.

Upvote 0

kodadog1024

Aug 17, 2011
✟10,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Raven, how about this. (this goes for you and I) we both let God work in us, wether we think we believe enough, a little or none at all. Lets ask Him for help, His grace and EXPECT Him to deliver because we are His creation. So what if you have doubt. So what if I am scared to hell all the time about dying and trying to figure out if I am good enough for my Christ. One day at a time. What do you say? 3.... 2....1.... go

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheWorriedOne

Dec 7, 2011
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm so scared!!! Like this morning I've been doubting God having thoughts say, "Heaven and Hell aren't real it's illogical." the worst part is these thoughts are starting to "make sense" to me. I don't know what to do I'm tired of constantly worrying and praying. I want to believe but I can't! I mean my faith is being taken away from me... I don't know what to do or how to cope with this until the 25th. What do I do?

Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

I have been where you are. It always helps me to remember that somewhere SOMETHING existed without cause. That seems illogical too. Our finite minds can't wrap themselves around that but even atheists have to admit that THIS is true even if they don't admit that that "something" is God. I hope when you are talking about the 25 th you are getting some sort of counseling or help that day!

Upvote 0

TheWorriedOne

Dec 7, 2011
✟7,871.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yes I meant that by the 25th I mean these past few days have been bad though it's starting to get better I think but like I'll get the thoughts and they seem to make sense which I don't want so I'll lie in bed for long periods of time praying trying to believe and it doesn't work I would like to get up and just not think about it and that helps but I feel like I'm an Atheist with these thoughts in my mind and having them make sense to me so I feel like I have to constantly pray and protect my faith or get it back...

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2010
✟8,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Bunyan had that same theme with his OCD - that he wasn't chosen.
So it's not a unique experience.
Mitzi

Gracealone, How have you beennnnnnn:wave:

Thank you so much for being there during my darkest times.
Ive had you in my daily prayers ever since.
How have you been?
God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Mar 14, 2010
✟8,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have been where you are. It always helps me to remember that somewhere SOMETHING existed without cause. That seems illogical too. Our finite minds can't wrap themselves around that but even atheists have to admit that THIS is true even if they don't admit that that "something" is God. I hope when you are talking about the 25 th you are getting some sort of counseling or help that day!

KayKayyyy:wave::wave::wave:
How have you been my sister in Christ?

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2010
✟8,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm so scared!!! Like this morning I've been doubting God having thoughts say, "Heaven and Hell aren't real it's illogical." the worst part is these thoughts are starting to "make sense" to me. I don't know what to do I'm tired of constantly worrying and praying. I want to believe but I can't! I mean my faith is being taken away from me... I don't know what to do or how to cope with this until the 25th. What do I do?

Worried one I know what your going through my friend, and I still go through periods where the thoughts still attack me also for like a whole few days at a time. Like gracealone said, the great ones like Martin Luther (who went through it for many years), the great Christian pastor Charles Spurgeon, Mother Teresa went through it for 60 years . Scrupulosity's goal is to get you in a spiral, it needs us to keep reassuring ourselves and that is its fuel.

I was watching a video on youtube that talked about this. There are times with this disorder that you will get thoughts like God doesnt exist or this cant be real. It doesnt mean that God doesnt exist. It means that either our imagination is being turned against us or OCD is acheiving its goal of causing fear in us.

Hey, worriedone Im going to pm you just to keep in touch. I still succumb at times to the reassurance at times but I focus on just a few areas of information that I have mastered, like the empty tomb theory. Gary habermas is the resurrection expert, but im trying to stay in the holy spirit moreso these days.

Believe me I know how terrifying it must be for u and raven as I was so close to suicide that only a call to the crisis hotline and great help from people like gracealone and Kaykay helped me survive. I have no doubt that God sent them here at this time.

I will post more tomorrow everyone as My pc is not in my room anymore for the sake of my OCD lol.

God bless you all

Upvote 0
S

SeraphimsCherub

I'm OCD also...but paxil really helps mine a great deal + THE HOLY SPIRIT of coarse! I've been on pretty much every anti-depressant known to man...and can confidently say that paxil is by far the best medication for OCD. i believe OCD steams from those who have an innate inference of GOD'S PERFECTNESS deep within our subconscious mind. Having been created in the Image of a Perfect and Holy GOD. So because of our fallen nature in the prison of this flesh. Our minds our much more sensitive to the guilt that comes through our sinful nature that we're born into the world with,which we inherited from Adam. So we try to be perfect with all these ridiculous rituals,and sacrifices,and word phrases and all sorts of other insane stuff. To try to appease a false representation of GOD{namely satan appearing as an angel of light} within our consciences{minds}. Always accusing us of what we are no longer guilty of. Because JESUS NAILED OUR SINS TO THE CROSS,AND BLED HIS OMNIPOTENT BLOOD ALL OVER THEM AND KILLED THEM FOREVER,AND THEY ARE NO MORE!! Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, (((having forgiven you {all} trespasses;)))
Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, (((nailing it to his cross;)))

Upvote 0