Sep 11, 2007
North Coast of New York (Rochester)
Visit site
✟7,798.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When I went to St. Tikhon's monastery for Thanksgiving my Spiritual Father told me that he would like me to become an ASL Interpreter (so does the Igumen.)

This past week I've been networking within the OCA (Orthodox Church in America) for contacts re: Deaf Outreach.

The OCA is especially interested in Hearing people who are interested in the Deaf Outreach program that they are developing.

The contact person is:

Donna Karabin
OCA Department of Christian Service and Humanitarian Aid
e-mail: csha@oca.org

Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello
good to hear that.
However, please see the tread regarding translating the services of the Church into ASL. Please note a few things:

this should be pan Orthodox, not limited to just the OCA

We are about to start a project on translating the services into ASL which will begin next year. We would like this to be a unified collaboration, rather than individuals doing their own things in various places

The translations of the services should come from within the Deaf community, and that is part of the plan mentioned aboved.

Please private message me so we can talk about this some more in depth

thank you

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟455,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The translations of the services should come from within the Deaf community, and that is part of the plan mentioned aboved.

That is a very valid consideration.

As a literacy volunteer, I taught English to an hispanic college student for a couple years. Sort of an intensive one on one to get her up and running at a higher level ASAP.

Anyway, in addition to the basics, I used to help her with practical needs such as studying for and passing her written driver's license exam which was quite a challenge but ended well with lots of work. I asked her why she didn't just take the exam in Spanish since that was an option. She said that none of her friends or family who spoke Spanish could understand the translations on the state exams!!!! And she and the others are plenty literate in Spanish.

You can't make this stuff up.

(Please excuse. I see that I responded to a post that was very old but still applies so I will leave it)

Last edited:
Upvote 0