Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
..goodnes....Christian compassion?????

Fate Worse Than Death? A Broken Hip

By L.A. McKeown
WebMD Health News

Feb. 8, 2000 (New York) -- Women in their 70s and 80s consider a hip fracture akin to a death sentence, according to a new study in the Feb. 5 issue of the British Medical Journal. The study concludes that 80% of women surveyed would rather be dead than in a nursing home as a result of falling and breaking a hip."

1 out of 5 elderly who suffer hip injuries die within one year.

Christians and Flies; the more I get to know Christians, the more I like Flies.

Its an opinion survey. It would help if you actually read what is written. It's not saying a broken hip is worse than death. So he should continually suspend the campaign? Maybe move her into the White House that way he would have to suspend his presidency continually? Is she really going to pass away before the election? What are the chances of that?

Upvote 0

RacismIsBad

Mar 17, 2007
✟3,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What a sad excuse for a thread. Someone's family member is gravely ill and you say, "That's no big deal, 86 year old grandmothers always bounce back." This is definitely a new low.

I'll just add, this is a dumb analogy. I mean this is a really stupid analogy. If McCain stopped campaigning to visit a sick family member and the "media" called it a publicity stunt, then you have a point. But the other situation has everything to do with politics and this has nothing to do with politics. This is just a dumb analogy.

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow, just wow. I'm really disappointed. I'd like to say I'm shocked, but I can't because it's, sadly, not uncommon for conservative Christians to exploit personal tragedy to continue to paint someone they dislike as some sort of a monster. I'm sure cfyahoo will be here later asking why Obama isn't flying to see his grandmother so he can "pull the plug". This thread reminds me why I left CF in the first place. I see some things never change.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am calling out liberals and the media for their double standards
By trying to make Obama visiting his sick granny political.

I was paying attention. He was asked to come back to Washington by his party and Paulson. He was important in the negotiation as per the link I provided. Should he have not come back due to some stupid debate which would have simply taken place on a different day? What if he had not come back and there had been a meltdown..would people have said hey..we are out of a job but at least we got to watch this boring debate? Hindsight is always 20/20. Bottom line is he suspended his campaign because he was called and said they needed him
Bottom line, he was behind in the polls and wanted to seem presidential.
LOL..He is basically the head of the party.
No, I'm pretty sure that Bush is still the head of the party.

I would go ask House Repubs..Paulson..and Lindsay Graham why they think they needed him...they are the ones that asked for his assistance.
Yes, do that.

Nope wrong.McCain came back to serve his country when called on. Obama phoned it in.
And the Democrats supported the bill by larger numbers than the Republicans did - so which was more effective?

Sorry the fate of millions of Americans is more important than the fate one person.
The fate of millions did not actually require McCain's grandstanding show of suspending his campaign. Likewise, the fates of millions are unaffected by Obama visiting his sick grandmother. So your trying to make political hay of it is ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Sphere

Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This is how morally bankrupt many of mccains supporters are. they're so out of ideas, so out of options, so utterly desperate at this point that Obama can't even visit his sick grandmother in the hospital without being viciously attacked.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2008/10/21/20081021obama1021.html

Obama has called McCains suspension of his campaign erratic..but the country was on the verge of a financial meltdown and the Treasury secretary personally called him and ASKED him to come back to help drum up financial support. Obama's grandmother is merely ill..not a big deal..everyone's grandmother gets ill. Why does he have to suspend his campaign? Can't he campaign in Hawaii? Doesn't the country need him now? Will people not hearing his calm, soothing voice for a couple of days cause a widespread panic?

:doh:McCain wanted to cancel a debate- and asking McCain to drum up support for one side or the other wasn't that important. The county was and is in a financial meltdown this administration caused it, wanting McCain to support bail outs with no regulations is no reason to cancel a debate.
-------------------
Obama is going to change his schedule so he can be with his grandmother. He's not claiming the nation needs him at this moment to stop all hell from breaking out. He's not cancelling debates - He can obviously make statements and appearances while in Hawaii. Obama's grandmother was a parent to him. He is obviously extremely close and does not want to be far away from her at this time. Yes he's leaving the campaign "trail" that doesn't mean he's leaving his campaign.

Upvote 0

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
From Colorado, currently in the UK
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I also like the strain of "thought" through this thread that is basically along the lines of:

"Oh, Obama is suspending his campaign for two days to visit his grandmother. If he was elected President, he'd totally take weeks at a time off and relocate the federal government to Hawaii!"

Or whatever. If he hadn't taken time off to see her, this'd be another "Obama won't help his family members!" thread. The guy simply can't win with some people, so I don't blame him for not trying to placate them.

Upvote 0

GWRULES2004

Jul 7, 2004
✟736.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:doh:McCain wanted to cancel a debate- and asking McCain to drum up support for one side or the other wasn't that important. The county was and is in a financial meltdown this administration caused it, wanting McCain to support bail outs with no regulations is no reason to cancel a debate.
-------------------

LOL wrong on a number of counts. First of all he didn't want to cancel it. He wanted to reschedule it. He didn't say he wasn't going to do it. And secondly everyone knows the Dems were the primary drivers of this mess..Even Clinton said Congressional Dems failed to reform despite Republicans wanting to do it.

Upvote 0

GWRULES2004

Jul 7, 2004
✟736.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
]By trying to make Obama visiting his sick granny political.

Nope simply pointing out hypocrisy of libs/Dems.

Bottom line, he was behind in the polls and wanted to seem presidential.
No, I'm pretty sure that Bush is still the head of the party.

Nope, simply wrong. I have provided numerous articles saying Paulson requested his aid and so did his fellow Republicans , but I guess evidence doesn't matter to Dems.

Yes, do that.

And the Democrats supported the bill by larger numbers than the Republicans did - so which was more effective?

And your point is?

The fate of millions did not actually require McCain's grandstanding show of suspending his campaign. Likewise, the fates of millions are unaffected by Obama visiting his sick grandmother. So your trying to make political hay of it is ridiculous.[/

Sorry McCain was instrumental in getting Repub support for the bill. It was only grandstanding in the eyes of Obama kool aid drinkers. Paulson didn't think it was grandstanding. He is the one that asked for McCains assistance. Hindsight is 20/20. People were saying the chance of a meltdown was pretty great.

I am simply saying both persons suspended their campaigs for legitimate reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This is beyond sad.

I suppose if Obama coldly let his grandmother die without seeing her while he campaigned, these same people would criticize him for that.

I know the choice I would make between campaigning and seeing my grandmother for the last time.

I’m frankly disgusted.

Upvote 0

Bootstrap

Jun 17, 2008
Durham, NC
✟11,739.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is beyond sad.

I suppose if Obama coldly let his grandmother die without seeing her while he campaigned, these same people would criticize him for that.

I know the choice I would make between campaigning and seeing my grandmother for the last time.

I’m frankly disgusted.

Me too.

Partisanship wins over basic humanity and compassion. "They'll know we are Christians by our love?" Not by reading this thread they won't .....

Jonathan

P.S. Let's be praying for Barack and his grandmother.
P.P.S. Let's be praying for the healing of this country from the partisanship we've sunk to.

Upvote 0

GWRULES2004

Jul 7, 2004
✟736.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Listen people are taking my comments out of context. I could care less if Obama takes the rest of the campaign off..even if he wants to put his feet in the sand and appear in a Ludacris video. I am simply saying it is ridiculous for the liberal media to make a huge deal out of McCain suspending his campaign to come back to deal with a crisis..one in which his assistance was personally requested and then not saying anything about Obama suspending his campaign to deal with a family issue. What I am saying is that nothing should be said about either situation. In fact, the potential crisis in Washington could have had a lot more devestating effects for millions of Americans. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Axioma

Eccentric, Culture Ulterior (Absconded)
Aug 10, 2008
✟17,276.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Except McCain DIDN'T deal with the crisis. Your attack on Obama would have merit if Obama said he was suspending his campaign to visit his grandmother, then stopped for a interview on CBS on the way to visit her to demonstrate the urgency of it all, and then finally broke two of his grandmother's fingers when he actually did visit her.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Listen people are taking my comments out of context. I could care less if Obama takes the rest of the campaign off..even if he wants to put his feet in the sand and appear in a Ludacris video. I am simply saying it is ridiculous for the liberal media to make a huge deal out of McCain suspending his campaign to come back to deal with a crisis..one in which his assistance was personally requested and then not saying anything about Obama suspending his campaign to deal with a family issue. What I am saying is that nothing should be said about either situation. In fact, the potential crisis in Washington could have had a lot more devestating effects for millions of Americans. Hindsight is always 20/20.
What you don't seem to get is that the comparsion of the two incidents is an epic fail. McCain's was a political stunt, and a very bad one at that. Of course he's going to get called on it.

Upvote 0

Bootstrap

Jun 17, 2008
Durham, NC
✟11,739.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Listen people are taking my comments out of context.

I think we're taking your comments in context. Here's the context: Obama's grandmother is sick, probably seriously, he goes to her side, and you want to make political hay out of it.

Partisanship is winning over basic humanity here.

Jonathan

Upvote 0

GWRULES2004

Jul 7, 2004
✟736.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What you don't seem to get is that the comparsion of the two incidents is an epic fail. McCain's was a political stunt, and a very bad one at that. Of course he's going to get called on it.

Nope not a political stunt at all.

Upvote 0

Sphere

Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
McCain suspended his campaign at a time when the economic crisis was big news, his poll numbers were slumping, and he was viewed as not being trustworthy on the economy. It was an obvious gimmick, and he actually had his supporters convinced that he was NEEDED in washington, that he was going there to set the record straight and fix the economy. When in reality, that wasn't going to happen and did not happen.

Obama on the other hand, finds out one of his immediate family members who is in the hospital has become very ill, so he decides to be by her side in her time of need.

The circumstances of both scenarios is TOTALLY different, and it's revolting that Obama is being viciously smeared and attacked when the 'terrible thing' he's done is simply to be by his sick grandmother's side.

Sickening what some mccain supporters have resorted to.

Upvote 0