Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟70,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry not apples and oranges. One in the same. McCain's behavior was not erratic..he suspended his campaign when there was a lot more at stake.

Of course, the campaign was not "suspended." Sen. Obama cancelled some personal appearances, but the campaign continues.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

McCain did not work across the aisle. The point was to bring him in specifically to reel in the GOP.....in which he failed to do.

He lacks leadership in his own party which many leaders within the GOP are fleeding from him to Obama.

LOL McCain does work across the aisle..to the dismay of many Republicans..Obama has rarely worked across the aisle. He has voted with Pelosi more than 95% of the time..yet Obama is supposed to be able to bring people together lol

Upvote 0

Bootstrap

Jun 17, 2008
Durham, NC
✟11,739.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Obama showed lack of leadership..he wanted to phone it in.

Every poll I've seen says that the American people trust Obama more than McCain on this issue.

Here's a partial list of conservative commentators who have commented that the mortgage crisis showed Obama's judgement and good temperament, and McCain's erratic and impulsive behavior:

- Colin Powell
- George Will
- Christopher Buckley
- David Brooks

I'd have to check facts before going further, I have several more in mind that I don't want to post without first Googling.

By all means, go to Washington if that's more effective to solve a problem. But once he got to Washington, McCain looked erratic.

But that's old news. For now, I hope Obama's grandmother recovers, and I'm glad Obama is able to visit her.

Jonathan

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Uhh what could it hurt? It would be better to err on the side of caution in light of such a major issue. People generally think face to face is better than the phone for important negotiations. Maybe instead of meeting face to face we could save money..forget sending the President abroad anymore..He can just call it in and save us airfare and reduce carbon emissions.
But neither Obama nor McCain were critical in the negotiations.

You talk about a lack of leadership for Obama not going back to Washington right away, but he did react immediately. McCain on the other hand had yet to even read the 3-page proposal when when decided to suspend his campaign. At the meetings Obama was full of questions and input, but McCain offered little. The only thing his party's leadership wanted him for was to gain Rep support and he failed.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

Every poll I've seen says that the American people trust Obama more than McCain on this issue.

Which shows just how ill informed the American public is considering the fact the Dems are primarily to blame for lack of regulation..even according to William Jefferson Clinton. People trust Obama more..when he received Freddie/Fannie money than every other person other than Dodd who got a sweetheart deal from Countywide mortgage?

Here's a partial list of conservative commentators who have commented that the mortgage crisis showed Obama's judgement and good temperament, and McCain's erratic and impulsive behavior:

- Colin Powell
- George Will
- Christopher Buckley
- David Brooks

and I can find more conservative commentators than said he did the right thing.

Upvote 0

DieHappy

and I am A W E S O M E !!
Jul 31, 2005
✟26,607.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Have you left, sir, no sense of decency?

Just when I think everyone has me on ignore, I hit the right nerve!

1) I was making a joke and in the manner of most of my jokes, it was in poor taste.
2) Obama said she was a racist and later said she was a typical white person.
3) I think he's making the right choice to be with her, and I wish her well.
4) KarateCowboy is right to draw the comparison, Obama kept campaigning during the bailout discussion only to say that they could call him if he was needed. Mccain was the one excoriated by most of the media.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
N

Nathan45

... anyway the reason that McCain suspending his campaign is such a joke is because McCain is not on any relevant committees, like the banking committee, so he literally has no responsibility as far as the bailout is concerned other than a yes/no vote later in the week. It's not his job to work out the details in banking/finance bills, that's handled by other people in the senate. McCain's only plausible responsibility was to bring about consensus, which he could have done a much better job of if he'd had accepted obama's offer to make a joint statement about the bailout bill, instead of blindsiding obama by announcing to the media he was going to washington, "suspending" his campaign and basically daring Obama to do the same. The entire thing was so obviously a political stunt.

Anyways, you are comparing this to Obama taking a couple days off to visit with his sick grandma... that's really quite low and completely tone deaf.

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟70,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just when I think everyone has me on ignore, I hit the right nerve!

1) I was making a joke and in the manner of most of my jokes, it was in poor taste.
2) Obama said she was a racist and later said she was a typical white person.
3) I think he's making the right choice to be with her, and I wish her well.
4) KarateCowboy is right to draw the comparison, Obama kept campaigning during the bailout discussion only to say that they could call him if he was needed. Mccain was the one excoriated by most of the media.

You've done enough.

The standards of decency have long been passed. Have you left, sir, no sense of decency?

Upvote 0

Bootstrap

Jun 17, 2008
Durham, NC
✟11,739.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Back to the OP.

Is there anybody in this thread who believes that Obama should not take two days off to visit his sick grandmother?

Is there anybody in this thread who does not wish them both well?

Is there anybody in this thread who thinks it's an issue when John McCain takes a day or two off of campaigning, either to go to Washington or simply to take time off on the weekend, as he does every weekend?

Jonathan

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

]But neither Obama nor McCain were critical in the negotiations.

Actually they did help to get the bill passed.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politicalintelligence/2008/10/mccain_obama_he_1.html

McCain's support was critical..or else Graham and Paulson wouldn't have asked him to come back.

You talk about a lack of leadership for Obama not going back to Washington right away, but he did react immediately. McCain on the other hand had yet to even read the 3-page proposal when when decided to suspend his campaign. At the meetings Obama was full of questions and input, but McCain offered little. The only thing his party's leadership wanted him for was to gain Rep support and he failed

He did get Repub support for the bill..Pelosi wouldn't have brought it to the floor without Repub support and he got enough Repubs to come across the aisle.
http://www.thenextright.com/lagomor...-was-received-acorn-removed-from-bailout-bill

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

... anyway the reason that McCain suspending his campaign is such a joke is because McCain is not on any relevant committees, like the banking committee, so he literally has no responsibility as far as the bailout is concerned other than a yes/no vote later in the week. QUOTE]

Simply wrong for the reasons I stated before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In other words I am pointing out media and liberal hypocrisy.

It's not hypocrisy because the two situations simply are not the same. As I said: McCain knee-jerked on an important issue and didn't show calm, cool and collected leadership. Obama is stopping his campaign for a few days in order to see his sick grandmother.
Ringo

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is what the media did when McCain suspending the campaign when the matter was of national security and hundreds of thousands of more people could have been affected and the Sec. OF Treasury asked for McCain's assistance.
You said you were not making this a political issue, but you clearly are.

And McCain was a key in getting Republican support for the package-something that Pelosi said she would not even try to pass without Repub support. He is one of a hundred Senators,. but was one of the most important ones in getting it passed..without his voicing support it wouldn't have passed.
He failed to get enough Republican support to get it to pass or weren't you paying attention? The next one passed after the crisis worsened and pork was added to the bill. How was he key?

He is one of the most senior senators and the party's Presidential candidate which basically makes him the most important person in the party right now.
Which makes the whole "McCain to the rescue" scenario smell like a political ploy. He doesn't have special financial expertise or clout so why would he be so critical to the bailout that he would have to suspend his campaign? If he's so important, why wouldn't the Republicans listen to him and do as he requested without his having to be there?

Sorry not apples and oranges. One in the same. McCain's behavior was not erratic..he suspended his campaign when there was a lot more at stake.
It is totally apples and oranges - one is personal and the other is political. McCain was grandstanding when he suspended his campaign - which I agree is not erratic. It seemed a carefully crafted political ploy with Paulson's collusion.

Reactions: soblessed53
Upvote 0