Now wait just a minute! This changes everything.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have we consulted with Canada about this new plan to just dump the dreamers up there?

I don't think any country can easily manipulate it's immigration policies to accommodate the Dreamers. I'm sure Canada has a waiting list of Mexicans that wouldn't take kindly to being shoved to the back of the line by the Dreamers.

Another little known fact is that not all of said Dreamers are to be desired by other countries. Many are poorly educated, some with criminal records. Few were properly vetted according to entry standards. Many came here as teenagers fully aware that they were now 'illegals'. The 'bright lights' among them are posed as if all were fully assimilated, smart, articulate and as "American as apple pie", when in fact large numbers are still indistinguishable from their poor, uneducated recently arrived countrypersons.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, education opens doors (who knew).

Actually I misspoke. She is actually working in the medical field now.
How about giving her Citizenship, then send her parents back to Mexico because they are Illegal, and because she has a Medical education, she can afford to help them with their living expenses.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's what I envision for the dreamers.

Emigrate to a developed country and become a citizen there.
Later if they wish they can seek citizenship here.

Perhaps a new 'path to citizenship' could be fashioned for the dreamers involving the cooperation of other developed countries. I want them to have the opportunities they have worked for , but I also want immigration reform that works.
I dunno. Kick somebody out of the US having grown up here, they go to a First World country, get treated well. Why come back to the US? I would shake the dust off my sandals.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would be interesting to know when each of these dreamers was made aware that they are illegally in the U.S. At that point they are responsible for their illegal status.

It would be like being made aware that something given to you was actually stolen property. Keeping it, while knowing who it belongs to, makes you a thief.
A seven-year-old is culpable? Are you serious?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I almost fell off my chair yesterday when a Latina "dreamer" being interviewed said that while she considered the U.S. her country and wanted to remain here that she would emigrate if forced to do so.

What she said next stunned me. She was a graduate medical student and revealed quite confidently that many other countries would be happy to have her, among those mentioned was Canada (which is known for liberal immigration policies).

I have been led to believe by the media and "dreamer" advocates that she and others would be sent to the third world country of their parents origin to live in hopeless squalor for the rest of their lives.

Who knew that other developed countries would welcome them with open arms, giving them nearly the same opportunities that they have enjoyed in the U.S.

I think Trump should reveal this fact. Perhaps it would change the tenor of the whole debate.
Since Trumps in office. Why would smart people want to stay here? Better to move to better Countries. The United States can always welcome people from poop hole countries.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If the dreamers are deported there will be terrible political consequences. Last poll I seen had over 70% of Americans saying they should stay. Trump is betting the farm he can get his signature campaign promise through by using DACA as a bargaining chip. Its a dangerous gamble because offering the dreamers a viable path to citizenship would be a solid solution. The GOP blew their political capitol capitol on that crazy tax cut. Now the problem is that funding for that wall is estimated to be 18 billion. They blow it on DACA and Trump fails to get that wall his support will be fractured, perhaps irrepairably.

• Informative
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, the Dreamer Act does not include newer arrivals and you know this.
IMO, any new legislation should. If a child is taken by to the US here by their parents by X age, and they manage to stay here Y years without getting caught, that's on the government, not the child. They should be able to stay with a path to citizenship. Ignoring the moral aspect of it, by that point, we've spent resources educating the child, so it's stupid to send them off somewhere else. A total waste.

Of course, there's room to negotiate what X and Y should be, how exactly the path to citizenship goes (i.e. complete at least high school education, no criminal record for a certain number of years), etc.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Economically we lose if we expel healthy young adults that want to work and are educated. (Also here good English speakers of that matters to you)
Not only good English speakers, but probably bi-lingual. That's an asset.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IMO, any new legislation should. If a child is taken by to the US here by their parents by X age, and they manage to stay here Y years without getting caught, that's on the government, not the child. They should be able to stay with a path to citizenship. Ignoring the moral aspect of it, by that point, we've spent resources educating the child, so it's stupid to send them off somewhere else. A total waste.

Of course, there's room to negotiate what X and Y should be, how exactly the path to citizenship goes (i.e. complete at least high school education, no criminal record for a certain number of years), etc.

Pass to citizenship sure, if they get in line with everyone else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You mean that it would be clear just how valuable these folks are to our economy?

I almost fell off my chair yesterday when a Latina "dreamer" being interviewed said that while she considered the U.S. her country and wanted to remain here that she would emigrate if forced to do so.

What she said next stunned me. She was a graduate medical student and revealed quite confidently that many other countries would be happy to have her, among those mentioned was Canada (which is known for liberal immigration policies).

I have been led to believe by the media and "dreamer" advocates that she and others would be sent to the third world country of their parents origin to live in hopeless squalor for the rest of their lives.

Who knew that other developed countries would welcome them with open arms, giving them nearly the same opportunities that they have enjoyed in the U.S.

I think Trump should reveal this fact. Perhaps it would change the tenor of the whole debate.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

A merit based system would result in folks very similar to the DACA folks, which is why over 80% of Americans support their staying.

Of course, one of the primary issues is that the DACA kids don't have blond hair and blue eyes.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You mean that it would be clear just how valuable these folks are to our economy?

And they would be even more valuable to their country-of-origin. Who needs them more, them or us?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If a child is taken by to the US here by their parents by X age, and they manage to stay here Y years without getting caught, that's on the government, not the child.

So what's the "statute of limitations" for murderers or other felony crimes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We both need them somewhat desperately.

Lot's of highly educated folks here are still unemployed. Of course they can't work for 'entry level' pay as can the Dreamers.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is problem without a good solution. :(

If the Dreamers stay it opens the floodgate of illegal immigration from the south, and will likely change the 'complexion' of America forever.

If the Dreamers are deported millions of liberals will wring their hands for God- only-knows how long (that's hard on the knuckles).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lot's of highly educated folks here are still unemployed. Of course they can't work for 'entry level' pay as can the Dreamers.
Why would Dreamers be paid any less than other equally-qualified, equally-experienced applicants?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Think like Christ

Jan 11, 2018
Vancouver
✟9,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump will 'see' your ladder and 'raise' you a spy drone, infrared sensor, and two German shepherds. :eek:
We were talking about a wall, the wall Trump wants to build. Or are you saying Trump is so simple that to him anything to do with border protection is "the wall"? If so, you won't get any argument from me, that matches what we keep hearing about his administration and his presidency from those inside the White House, and what we see from Trump himself.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

It depends quite a bit on the field. English and Philosophy graduates, our supply outweighs our demand. Science, technology, engineering and medicine we bring in people from other countries to do jobs. I work in a science department myself. We have about 25 employees. Maybe 10 were born in America. At least ten are here on visas. At least 4 immigrated here as children (legally or illegally I'm not sure).

Upvote 0