Now wait just a minute! This changes everything.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why would Dreamers be paid any less than other equally-qualified, equally-experienced applicants?

I don't think there are very many middle-aged or older Dreamers with decades of experience in a profession.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We were talking about a wall, the wall Trump wants to build. Or are you saying Trump is so simple that to him anything to do with border protection is "the wall"? If so, you won't get any argument from me, that matches what we keep hearing about his administration and his presidency from those inside the White House, and what we see from Trump himself.

Any barrier will have all the latest 'bells and whistles' to make it more effective.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It depends quite a bit on the field. English and Philosophy graduates, our supply outweighs our demand. Science, technology, engineering and medicine we bring in people from other countries to do jobs. I work in a science department myself. We have about 25 employees. Maybe 10 were born in America. At least ten are here on visas. At least 4 immigrated here as children (legally or illegally I'm not sure).

Check that out. I'd be interested to know how many illegals are in your department.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
This is problem without a good solution. :(

If the Dreamers stay it opens the floodgate of illegal immigration from the south, and will likely change the 'complexion' of America forever.

Why is the changing 'complexion' problematic?

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think there are very many middle-aged or older Dreamers with decades of experience in a profession.
Note the key phrase "equally-experienced" in my post, which you quoted. If a Dreamer fresh out of school and a middle-aged person with decades of experience are applying for the same job, then one of them is either over-qualified or under-qualified for the job.

Upvote 0

Think like Christ

Jan 11, 2018
Vancouver
✟9,163.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any barrier will have all the latest 'bells and whistles' to make it more effective.
Sure. But Trump has said he wants a "big beautiful wall", made of concrete and steel, forty feet high.

And let's not forget that when someone pointed out to Trump that a ladder could be used to scale the wall, Trump couldn't figure out how they would get down on the other side. Someone had to tell him they could use a rope, or another ladder. I'll never forget it, it was the exact same response given by Sarah Palin. LOL, Saturday Night Live doesn't need to change a thing, they can just quote these people word for word.

I think what the USA really needs is a high wall along the Northern border. We have tons of Syrians up here in Canada, all sorts of Muslims too. And people from Africa and Haiti.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The inference I take from your statement is that there should be NO immigration.

We don't want the unskilled, and we don't want the skilled.

Where did I get this wrong.
====

As an aside, these people come to the US and send back money so that their family members can be fed and schooled. So, it really can help them to be here.

And they would be even more valuable to their country-of-origin. Who needs them more, them or us?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Please document the statement that there is significant unemployment for highly educated folks in the US. [I am excluded those who can't get a job because of health or drug issues).

What I have seen is that almost all major companies, especially tech companies are crying for workers.

As an aside, IMHO, it a travesty to send home graduates who want to stay, and have valuable skills.

Lot's of highly educated folks here are still unemployed. Of course they can't work for 'entry level' pay as can the Dreamers.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How does the acceptance of 800,000 DACA immigrants have anything to do with opening a floodgate of brown faces to the US (changing the complexion of America).

If the Dreamers stay it opens the floodgate of illegal immigration from the south, and will likely change the 'complexion' of America forever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is problem without a good solution. :(

If the Dreamers are deported millions of liberals will wring their hands for God- only-knows how long (that's hard on the knuckles).
DACA is not the same thing as anchor babies. Anyone born after June 15, 2007 can't get and never could get DACA.
I know you know this.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
DACA is not the same thing as anchor babies. Anyone born after June 15, 2007 can't get and never could get DACA.
I know you know this.

True. Two different problems.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How does the acceptance of 800,000 DACA immigrants have anything to do with opening a floodgate of brown faces to the US (changing the complexion of America).

It would be another disastrous amnesty program resulting in yet more illegal immigration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please document the statement that there is significant unemployment for highly educated folks in the US. [I am excluded those who can't get a job because of health or drug issues).

What I have seen is that almost all major companies, especially tech companies are crying for workers.

As an aside, IMHO, it a travesty to send home graduates who want to stay, and have valuable skills.

There are other problems associated with older professionals being unemployed for long periods of time.

Highly Educated, Unemployed and Tumbling Down the Ladder - NBC News

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The inference I take from your statement is that there should be NO immigration.

We are drowning in illegal immigration. It's like a flood. We need the water to go down before we add more water.

We don't want the unskilled, and we don't want the skilled.

Where did I get this wrong.

We want both, if they enter legally.

As an aside, these people come to the US and send back money so that their family members can be fed and schooled. So, it really can help them to be here.

How does that help us? For every 1 dollar that leaves the country 5 dollars in needed domestic commerce is lost, and 1 dollar in needed tax revenue is lost as well.

Upvote 0