Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's time to abolish the ownership of pets, or "animal slaves" as two Rutgers law professors call them. "They do not belong in our world, irrespective of how well we treat them," Gary Francione and Anna Charlton write in Aeon. "We control their lives for ever." Charlton and Francione, who own six rescue dogs themselves, argue that pet ownership, animal domestication, zoos, aquariums, and the eating of animal products must be done away with because "these violate the fundamental rights of animals."

http://www.newser.com/story/230860/its-time-to-end-pet-ownership.html

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's time to abolish the ownership of pets, or "animal slaves" as two Rutgers law professors call them. "They do not belong in our world, irrespective of how well we treat them," Gary Francione and Anna Charlton write in Aeon. "We control their lives for ever." Charlton and Francione, who own six rescue dogs themselves, argue that pet ownership, animal domestication, zoos, aquariums, and the eating of animal products must be done away with because "these violate the fundamental rights of animals."

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I'm not too sure about that. My puppy is sleeping under my chair and seems quite happy with her living situation. I don't think she'd know how to survive in the wild.

Nope, I think she'll be staying right where she is. But if Chartlton and Francione don't want to own pets, nobody is forcing them to.

I really wish these liberals would stop forcing their morality on others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I really wish these liberals would stop forcing their morality on others.

This "liberal" has two VERY spoiled cats who wouldn't survive 24 hours outside the house. One is sleeping on top of the cat tree (and if he rolls over he will fall off) and the other one is having her nighttime snuggle with "daddy".

I do not agree with what was said in the OP and think those folks are TOTALLY out to lunch. Don't paint "liberals" with such a broad brush, OK?

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Those Rutgers professors in the OP need to go fly a kite if they know how to. Their opinions on animals mean nothing to me unless it pertains to animal abuse/neglect.

Reactions: pureinheart
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This "liberal" has two VERY spoiled cats who wouldn't survive 24 hours outside the house. One is sleeping on top of the cat tree (and if he rolls over he will fall off) and the other one is having her nighttime snuggle with "daddy".

I do not agree with what was said in the OP and think those folks are TOTALLY out to lunch. Don't paint "liberals" with such a broad brush, OK?
Have cats as well. Two rescue (second chance) cats and one who just showed up at the backdoor one day. :) I think your cats would survive on the outside if not declawed. We opted not to declaw the cat in the event one slipped out the door and needed to survive a few days before it returned or we found them.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

So you're saying my post wasn't directed at you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm gonna go out and buy another dog and maybe a cat.
Go to the rescue shelter. I bought my Yellow Lab from a local sporting breeder. Best dog I've had but loved them all. Mild mannered, great with the kids when growing up. Easy to train.

Then our neighbors went to a shelter to get a dog for their boys. Unfortunately when the dad came home from a deployment he said he did not like the dog and was ready to send it back to the pound. That meant the dog would probably die. They went on vacation and we watched the dog telling them to think on it.

When they came back I went to pick up the dogs papers and other belongings and told them thanks for the dog we are keeping her.

No arguments :) Love that dog as much as the Lab. She's half German Shepherd and half Bassett hound. Took a month to get her trained right the right way. She only knew violence and yelling and we taught her everything she needed to know without all that. Plus she had a great example in the Lab.

So go save a pet if you can. They will be the best friend you will ever have.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
We have had nothing BUT rescues for as long as I can remember. The best dog I ever had was an Alaskan Malamute that we got because his then owners didn't realize he'd "get so big"...he ended up at about 140lbs...HUGE beast! He was the dumbest, funniest, silliest dog ever. He was terrified of the 7lb cat (Mals are known as "cat killers)...she'd sit in front of the water dish and he never realized that one well-placed paw would mean kitty wet spot and he could get to his bowl. No, he'd sit and wait for her to decide to move. If she was laying in the middle of the floor, he'd slink against the walls hoping she wouldn't see him. He got clawed once when he thought he was going to be big and bad...she taught him a lesson he never forgot. He loved to "sing". We had him from the time he was about 9 months old until he died of old age at about 13.

Now we just have the ferocious felines...one of whom thinks that it is his job to make sure I'm grading papers the right way.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Charlton and Francione, who own six rescue dogs themselves, argue that pet ownership, animal domestication, zoos, aquariums, and the eating of animal products must be done away with because "these violate the fundamental rights of animals."

"who own six rescue dogs"
"argue that pet ownership" "must be done away with"

Uh, you might want to stop owning pets if you argue that no one should own pets! :)

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Sine Nomine

Scientist and Christian
Jun 13, 2012
Albany, NY
✟26,489.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
These professors don't seem to value community, believing instead that personal independence is the highest good and that commitment and care of another creature is equal to slavery. Yet, they engage in the practice they deplore. Sad.

My cats could leave anytime they're outside---but, turns out they like their human companions, are upset when we're gone too long, happily eat food they don't have to hunt. I think the profs are quite wrong. There are better examples of animal abuse than conflating this with pet ownership--anyone who has seen a commercial chicken truck knows what I mean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sine Nomine

Scientist and Christian
Jun 13, 2012
Albany, NY
✟26,489.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
They are physical beings, and we are spiritual beings.
They belong on the earth, and we do not belong on this earth.
We are given dominion over the animals in all places.

I'm pretty sure that we are spiritual beings, but that we are also creatures that belong on the earth. Dominion means responsibility for care, not domination.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Those Rutgers professors in the OP need to go fly a kite if they know how to. Their opinions on animals mean nothing to me unless it pertains to animal abuse/neglect.
Understood. However, the crazies of the world are progressively being able to impose their ridiculous theories on the rest of society by force of law. In that respect, their opinions do mean something to you, whether or not there's any sense to them.

Reactions: aieyiamfu
Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

hippo-milk-pink-1.jpg
Wooden-Crates-psd49041.png

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0