A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My poor quality posts?

I've made a lot of scientific assertions... which ones have been in error?

How many scientific assertions has anyone else made in defense of their atheism? Pretty scarce... and weak at that.

It seems that my knowledge is a lot more complete than anyone who's responded to me. Show me where I have been wrong scientifically.

All I'm hearing from you and just about anyone else is "YOU'RE WRONG, YOU'RE WRONG" but nobody is able to tell me precisely where an how I'm wrong... including you.

Funny how those who declare "reason" to be their guide have been the only ones incapable of providing any solid reason in this discussion.

I have already explained why science doesnt support or not support anything metaphysical, yet you keep asserting it does.

Science have nothing to do with my atheism and if science have something to do with your religion, well that would be stupid.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Wow... an acknowledgement that my argument at least makes some sense! Thanks.
It makes sense, but I don't think it's convincing enough :)

No... that's just a matter of defining the terms. If we decide to label this "Outside Agent" as "God," we can do so... by simply saying that "God" is that Outside Agent.

Now... I think what you really meant is that it is a matter of faith (perhaps not so much a "leap" as you think...) to assert that the "Outside Agent" God is in fact the "Christian" God.

Determining that is very much outside the scope of our discussion here.
I guess we could say that if the universe came from... something, then this something is by definition supernatural, meaning not subject to the laws of nature that we know, and that I guess could be called god. But it wouldn't necessarily fit with the common idea of God (as a person).

It's easy to understand why people think the universe must have a creator. But I don't see any indications in the observable universe that this creator cares more about people than about other things, or that there is a particular plan or purpose behind it, or that the creator wants to have a connection with each of us, etc.

You have labeled yourself as a "former Christian." From that I assume you have some knowledge of Christian teaching and the Bible.

You are absolutely right about our brains not being wired to fully grasp big/small/extra-dimensional/etc.

You are also right in your implication that we would want to understand our universe. But I disagree that if the universe was made for mankind, that we should be able to understand it fully.

Consider Proverbs 25:2 - "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter."

To me, this means that people/societies ("kings") will always seek greater knowledge... and that's the way it's supposed to be. But the first half of that verse implies that no matter how much we "search out," we're going to find that there's even more we do not yet understand... yet more that is "concealed."

In other words, the Bible supports and encourages scientific inquiry. It also promises that the more we learn, the more we'll realize we still don't know... which is exactly what has happened.
Well, I guess any reasonable thinker would conclude that the more we learn, the more we see how little we know.

I'm not suggesting that if there is a God we should fully understand reality, but if there is a good and almighty etc creator, I would expect reality to be very different than it is. If there's not a creator and we are a result of chance and evolution, this reality is pretty much what I'd expect. In other words, I think evolution is a much more reasonable explanation for the phenomena we see, than some god.

Upvote 0

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Telling someone what they believe is a straw man.
No it is not... provided you are accurately representing their position.

When it comes to atheism and the theories of the origins, there are not a lot of options. Either you hold that a God was active in the beginning, or you have to postulate that it happened "by itself"... without the involvement of a God. That's what the naturalist proposes.

I'm not misrepresenting anyone's views... because they have already stated they do not believe in a God, so the only option they have left is naturalism.

So... if I'm wrong that naturalism isn't the only other option besides theistic involvement, then no one has bothered to even attempt to articulate an alternative. If someone will actually articulate an viable alternative that is both atheistic and different than what I articulated about what Atheists believe, then I will concede that I created a straw man.

But absent ANY effort to "correct" my representation of what Atheists actually believe about the four points I raised, I cannot admit "straw man."

The entire concept of "straw man" is that I have inaccurately represented someone's belief for the purpose of "burning" down the false representation. If instead I accurately summarize someone's belief, that's not straw man, that's effective debate.

If you truly want to learn something about another point of view, then pipe down, ask a question, and see where the conversation goes, you just might be surprised.

You want questions?

Here are my 4 issues worded as questions for the Atheists.
  1. What do you believe about how matter came into existence?
  2. What do you believe about why there's Order in the universe?
  3. What do you believe about how could life ever develop from non-life?
  4. What do you believe about where the coded information in DNA came from?
These are honest questions, and they are significant questions in the realm of scientific inquiry.

Come one, Come all... tell me what you really believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
And while you've not been insulting and contentious as others have (thanks!), you still have not offered the smallest evidence that believing in "no god" is more reasonable--scientifically--than theism.
It seems much more reasonable to me. I can give (more) reasons why that is, but I must point out that it's not a choice. I can't decide which arguments will win me over. I'm in a way a slave to whatever background I have and input I've received in the past. As to what is the most "scientifically reasonable" thing to believe regarding the existence of a creator, I simply don't know and understand enough to have an informed opinion.

Upvote 0

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not suggesting that if there is a God we should fully understand reality, but if there is a good and almighty etc creator, I would expect reality to be very different than it is. If there's not a creator and we are a result of chance and evolution, this reality is pretty much what I'd expect. In other words, I think evolution is a much more reasonable explanation for the phenomena we see, than some god.
Thanks. I appreciate the thoughtful and respectful reply.

I would suggest that our "expectations" about God get us in trouble... just as our "expectations" in other personal relationships.

And while I understand what you're saying about evolution and what you would expect to see... God has indeed set up this universe to follow the laws of physics and he's given people the freedom to act as they choose. But it's in the details that that theory of evolution really falls dead... like with the entire DNA thing I've been talking about. A "code" requires a coder... always has, always will. Design requires a designer. Always has, always will. Machines required engineers... always has, always will. The presence of coded information in DNA, of design in the fabric of life, and microscopic "machines" in every living cell on the planet... argue for an intelligence that had to have come before any of those things even existed.

And then there's things like morality and conscience... they don't seem to make much sense in a purely evolutionary context...

Upvote 0

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems much more reasonable to me. I can give (more) reasons why that is, but I must point out that it's not a choice. I can't decide which arguments will win me over. I'm in a way a slave to whatever background I have and input I've received in the past. As to what is the most "scientifically reasonable" thing to believe regarding the existence of a creator, I simply don't know and understand enough to have an informed opinion.
Science is not the only truth, nor the only source of truth.

Keep searching... keep questioning... but keep in mind that the question is not the answer!

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No it is not... provided you are accurately representing their position.
Assuming you're correct, which you're not, I'll take you up on your suggestion. Here goes.

You believe in an unseen, unmet, non-physical being, that gave you free will, whether you wanted it or not. You've convinced yourself that you can actually have a relationship with this unseen spiritual being, including, but limited to, talking with him inside your head, asking him to be with you when you lack courage, and knowledge that only you could know because of your relationship with it. There is much to be learned about this spiritual being that resides in your heart and fills up your mind, like; he wants you to go to a church building on Wednesdays, and twice on Sunday, wants you to sing pop songs to worship him, and expects that you'll give at least 10% of your money to the church so the pastor can feed his family and take a two week vacation once a year.

Additionally, this non-material spiritual being loves you so much, that there was even a time 2,000 years ago the the non-material spirit being sent himself/son to earth in the material form of a human to be a blood sacrifice, to save you from the sins that began when he created A&E. What's more, there's a third part to this non-material being in the form of a ghost that will be with you all the time, to help you whenever you need it.

During your time here on earth, this ghost has told you what people who don't have this ghost really believe, and you're certain you're right, because ghost. And the reward for knowing the ghost, is eternal life - life forever, in heaven, with all three father/son/ghost. And there will be much rejoicing.

Hey, you're right. It is pretty easy to know what people believe.

When it comes to atheism
It's simple really, you claim god/s exist, and I'm not convinced you're correct.

and the theories of the origins, there are not a lot of options.
Right, you believe G1:1, and I don't. IMO, you have no justification to believe one creation myth over another.

Either you hold that a God was active in the beginning,
I don't.
or you have to postulate that it happened "by itself"...
Or... or... we just don't have enough information to say really, and I don't feel compelled to make something up

without the involvement of a God.
The same one that you communicate with inside your head? Or a different one?
That's what the naturalist proposes.
No, that's what you proposed.
I'm not misrepresenting anyone's views...
Yes, we all know what your views are and what you know we think.
because they have already stated they do not believe in a God,
I definitely don't believe in your god.
so the only option they have left is naturalism.
Which still doesn't justify making up an explanation. I'm ok with the fact I might never know.

So... if I'm wrong that naturalism isn't the only other option
Well, naturalism does seem to enjoy 100% of all observed evidence (that is to say, we've only ever found naturalistic evidence, and never god).
besides theistic involvement, t
No might be a good time to ask him to show up.
hen no one has bothered to even attempt to articulate an alternative.
Which would, what, make you winner by default? But this isn't how the real world works, and you still need to demonstrate the existence of your god.

If someone will actually articulate an viable alternative that is both atheistic and different than what I articulated about what Atheists believe, then I will concede that I created a straw man.
Well it kinda' goes like this:

things with evidence > things with no evidence

Ok with you if I take a step back and proportion my beliefs to the evidence?

But absent ANY effort to "correct" my representation of what Atheists actually believe about the four points I raised, I cannot admit "straw man."
Well, you can't say I didn't try.
The entire concept of "straw man" is that I have inaccurately represented someone's belief for the purpose of "burning" down the false representation.
Right.
If instead I accurately
Unless you're twelve or autistic, no rational human being presumes to know what other people's beliefs are.

(FTR, being twelve or autistic is not a derogatory comment, but rather an acceptable explanation for such persistent behavior after they've been corrected multiple times on it.)

summarize someone's belief, that's not straw man, that's effective debate.
The arrogance necessary to suggest they know someone's beliefs without asking said person, is nothing short of laughable.

You want questions?
I wanted honest dialogue, but honestly now, I just feel like a heal having wasted my time with you.

Here are my 4 issues worded as questions for the Atheists.
  1. What do believe about how matter came into existence?
  1. No idea. I've read a few books suggesting some plausible scenarios, so I consider myself informed.
2.What do you believe about why there's Order in the universe?
For the same reasons I believe there's chaos in the universe. I'm not as impressed by the anthropic principle as theists are. I've pretty much dialed back my credulity on these things, as I find it satisfying to only accept what I can justify.
3.What do you believe about how could life ever develop from non-life?
It's really not that much of a stretch to accept that chemistry happens.
4.What do you believe about where the coded information in DNA came from?
Stars.
These are honest questions, and they are significant questions in the realm of scientific inquiry.
Right, which always baffles me when theists without any scientific understanding butt their nose in and tell us what we believe. lol
Come one, Come all... tell me what you really believe.
I would, but you already know what I believe. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  1. No idea. I've read a few books suggesting some plausible scenarios, so I consider myself informed.
2. For the same reasons I believe there's chaos in the universe. I'm not as impressed by the anthropic principle as theists are. I've pretty much dialed back my credulity on these things, as I find it satisfying to only accept what I can justify.

3. It's really not that much of a stretch to accept that chemistry happens.

4. Stars.
Thanks for trying.

Mostly blowing smoke, though... very little data and no scientific foundation for your beliefs... mostly insults and personal attacks.

Not even a scintilla of an argument that makes naturalistic thinking more credible in answering any of the 4 questions than believing in an outside agency.

But... thanks for trying.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for trying.

Mostly blowing smoke, though... very little data and no scientific foundation for your beliefs... mostly insults and personal attacks.

Not even a scintilla of an argument that makes naturalistic thinking more credible in answering any of the 4 questions than believing in an outside agency.

But... thanks for trying.

You're welcome.

Take care.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And... if the sick person thinks that about the doctor and for that reason refuses to see him... they miss out on a cure they really need.

Which is why smart people look at evidence from the real world instead of just believing whatever someone tells them. The smart person would ask, "Does this doctor use treatments that have proven to be effective in the past?"

Ever heard of Pascal's Wager?

Except people have tried alternative therapies and died as a result. What's the harm in folk remedies?

In any case, I'm sure that if I start believing because of Pascal's wager, God will be happy. He won't care that I'm doing it for selfish reasons.

Pascal's wager encourages belief in the God with the worst hell, not necessarily the Christian God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Sorry, Ken... that's no answer. Tell me what they DO believe about these points...

Haven’t you been listening? There is NOTHING that atheists are required to believe. There is NO atheist position on any of those things you listed.
Your problem is you assume atheism is to us the way Christianity is for you; it is not. Christianity provides answers to everything, morality, the mysteries of the Universe, etc. Atheism provides answers to nothing! The only thing you need to be an atheist is to reject what someone else told you, that’s it!

Do you get it now?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, Ken... that's no answer. Tell me what they DO believe about these points...

Okay.

The Big bang created everything

An atheist is someone who lacks a belief in God. A belief that the Big Bang created everything is not required for that.

That order came out of Chaos

An atheist is someone who lacks a belief in God. A belief that order came from chaos is not required for that.

Life arose from non-life

An atheist is someone who lacks a belief in God. A belief that life arose from non-life is not required for that.

Coded information created itself

An atheist is someone who lacks a belief in God. A belief that coded information created itself is not required for that.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Still, not one atheist has offered a scientifically plausible alternative to my assertions about what Atheists believe. I made those claims because literally, there are no other alternatives as to what Atheists can believe...."
No; there are plenty of alternatives. How about "I don't know?" What's wrong with admitting to not know the mysteries of the Universe? Answers than not even our greatest scientists have answers to? A person can admit to not having an answer while still remaining skeptical of your explanation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The challenge is really simple...

Give me an explanation of the 4 issues I raised that are consistent with Atheist belief (no god) and science.

Anything dishonest about that?
No God AND science? C'mon you aren't suggesting that because I'm an atheist that I'm supposed to believe everything science has to say are you? C'mon you should know better than that!

Upvote 0