Avodat

Contending for Biblical truth
Jul 2, 2011
✟21,427.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to call it grafted in though, let's think of a broader term.....like messianic believer maybe?
And the Torah scroll could be messianic Torah keeper?

The cross with the mogen david being Hebrew Christian seems to be well received too

Thoughts on these names?

Just 'Messianic'? So there would be the Menorah/star/fish as Messianic; the Scroll as Messianic Torah Keeper and the Star/Cross as Hebrew Christian (and we'd need some definitions for the first two!). Seems straight forward.

(Btw if we are saying on the other thread (Staff / Members) that we must not attempt to change other peoples' minds - this thread would be reportable because that is just what we are doing)

Upvote 0

Tishri1

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Just 'Messianic'? So there would be the Menorah/star/fish as Messianic; the Scroll as Messianic Torah Keeper and the Star/Cross as Hebrew Christian (and we'd need some definitions for the first two!). Seems straight forward.

(Btw if we are saying on the other thread (Staff / Members) that we must not attempt to change other peoples' minds - this thread would be reportable because that is just what we are doing)
Lol your right!

I think the star menorah fish would be called messianic believer:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
Five point star:
25125-albums313-39070.jpg

The seal would be acceptable if the star has five points.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I like Hebrew Christian because it states both - one who is Hebrew (Jew) and also Christian as opposed to one who leans towards Judaism. Does that make sense??

I don't know if this is "up to date" anymore. I've been reading an MJ book that says that HC is an "old" term that has been superseded by MJ. Frankly, I am kind of over it too. No one else is forced to don their ethnic background here (eg. "Puerto-Rican Christian" or "Chinese Christian") I'm a Messianic Jew. I might work in the Church, but my life is Jewish and I was raised Jewish (and in fact I think only myself and maybe one or two others here can claim that- and one of them is Rabbinic)

I believe the story of a Messianic Jew is someone who has been religiously and halachically Jewish and now believes Jesus is the Messiah. I am unsure whether those raised as Christians with a Jewish parent or two have the same experience as we do. To me, they would kind of be more "Hebrew Christian" than a Jew who is now Messianic (eg. Jesus as Messiah making the difference) They were raised in the Christian faith, after all. Up to now, the HC term has been a theological one as far as here goes: but it's inaccurate due to the variety of Jewish expressions the mainstream churches now embrace and encourage.

What is ironic is this: others here work and worship in the Church but sport the Torah Scroll icon. Something I was told was a "no no". I know for a fact that I am more Torah observant than most of the posters here, with the exception of those who are Rabbinic Jews. This is kind of difficult to categorize, I think.

I think what has become evident is this: people are people, and identity is very personal. The more icons you make, the more choices people have, or conversely the more prejudice you can exercise over them. Maybe the freedom of choice is a good thing, but maybe putting too much definition into an icon is unworkable. Look at the other forums. The Lutheran forum for example has all kinds of shades and versions of Lutheranism represented- but one icon only. Here, some people want to slice and dice and judge others according to their own ideas about religious and ethnic identity (and really, this can border on prejudice). Could it not be that people are getting a little too eager to categorize? Is not one icon enough, or if you have more than one, would people find more freedom to self-express, or would it be more pigeon-holing?

It seems to me that there is more alarm over icons and identity than is necessary. Only a few posters here feel outraged over discussions about the Torah. Most are pretty relaxed about it.

Just a thought.

Reactions: Marie Lynn
Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Lemme see if we can to both then

Star with cross for Hebrew Christians, and the grafted in one for MJs too

So the description of the two MJ ones would be?

Torah scroll- Torah Keepers ?
Grafted in one- For everyone else ?any name suggestions?

What do you all think

Just to throw in a confusion.

I am not a Hebrew Christian, and I am not grafted in, and I am not a 'Torah keeper' as some define.

So, what icon is for a Messianic Jew?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by anisavta
I like Hebrew Christian because it states both - one who is Hebrew (Jew) and also Christian as opposed to one who leans towards Judaism. Does that make sense??

I don't know if this is "up to date" anymore. I've been reading an MJ book that says that HC is an "old" term that has been superseded by MJ. Frankly, I am kind of over it too. No one else is forced to don their ethnic background here (eg. "Puerto-Rican Christian" or "Chinese Christian") I'm a Messianic Jew. I might work in the Church, but my life is Jewish and I was raised Jewish (and in fact I think only myself and maybe one or two others here can claim that- and one of them is Rabbinic)

I believe the story of a Messianic Jew is someone who has been religiously and halachically Jewish and now believes Jesus is the Messiah. I am unsure whether those raised as Christians with a Jewish parent or two have the same experience as we do. To me, they would kind of be more "Hebrew Christian" than a Jew who is now Messianic (eg. Jesus as Messiah making the difference) They were raised in the Christian faith, after all. Up to now, the HC term has been a theological one as far as here goes: but it's inaccurate due to the variety of Jewish expressions the mainstream churches now embrace and encourage.

What is ironic is this: others here work and worship in the Church but sport the Torah Scroll icon. Something I was told was a "no no". I know for a fact that I am more Torah observant than most of the posters here, with the exception of those who are Rabbinic Jews. This is kind of difficult to categorize, I think.

I think what has become evident is this: people are people, and identity is very personal. The more icons you make, the more choices people have, or conversely the more prejudice you can exercise over them. Maybe the freedom of choice is a good thing, but maybe putting too much definition into an icon is unworkable. Look at the other forums. The Lutheran forum for example has all kinds of shades and versions of Lutheranism represented- but one icon only. Here, some people want to slice and dice and judge others according to their own ideas about religious and ethnic identity (and really, this can border on prejudice). Could it not be that people are getting a little too eager to categorize? Is not one icon enough, or if you have more than one, would people find more freedom to self-express, or would it be more pigeon-holing?

It seems to me that there is more alarm over icons and identity than is necessary. Only a few posters here feel outraged over discussions about the Torah. Most are pretty relaxed about it.

Just a thought.

Hebrew Christian is an old term for Messianic Jew.

Since the Hebrew Christian Association, which was an organization to share the gospel with the Jewish people, changed it name to Messianic Judaism, for pretty much the same purpose.

The term, Christian, has negative connotations in the Jewish community, but Messianic is a Jewish term with vry possitive connotations. I think most Jewish people do not know what Christ means. I sometimes wonder if Christians know what Christ means, as it is used more like a last name. Christ to the Jewish people is equal to prejudice, while Messiah is filled with hope.

Since some Messianic Jews live in areas where there is no Messianic Judaism synagogue, Messianic Jews fellowshipping in a church has never been an issue. And I know several Messianic Jews who attend both.

Also, Jewish people who have a 'Christian' parent. That is a rough one. First of all, a lot of Jewish people have a Gentile parent, but being Gentile does not mean a person is a Christian. (Something which Messianic Judaism has been emphasizing to deal with the confusion in the Jewish community). Also, there are the second generation Messianic Jews, who were not brought up in Rabbinic Judaism. Admittedly, those with a Gentile parent, and some second and third generation, do miss some of the cultural aspects, I personally don't like a differentiation.

But, one differentiation is valid in Messianic Judaism. I know some will not understand this, but Messianic Judaism does seek to preserve a differentiation between Jewish and Gentile believers. This is done for the sake of the good news going out to the Jewish community. Messianic Judaism is trying to represent that it is a very Jewish belief to believe that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah, and there are Jewish people who believe on Yeshua. So in the realm of Messianic Judaism, so as not to misrepresent, Jewish believers maintain that they are Jewish and Gentile believers maintain that they are Gentile.

Upvote 0
A

aniello

Just a thought.

Well said.

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
Just to throw in a confusion.

I am not a Hebrew Christian, and I am not grafted in, and I am not a 'Torah keeper' as some define.

So, what icon is for a Messianic Jew?

If you are not a Hebrew of the faith, and not a Orthodox Jew, then you have to be grafted in to be Christian or Messianic. Scriptures say so. Christianity or Messianic is a part of Judaism. If you are Non-Trin commandment keeper, you use 7 Lamp Menorah. If you are a commandment keeper and Trinitarian, then you use the scroll. If you are Orthodox Jew, then you use the six point star.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Lol your right!

I think the star menorah fish would be called messianic believer:thumbsup:

Sincerly, if people are that complicated in Messianic identity, then why not make it possible for people to at least have 2 icons---in the event that they feel one doesn't define them as such. There are others who consider themselves to be Torah keepers/passionate for it---and thus the Torah Scroll is important for them--- yet they don't feel that they're disconnected from bridge building in the Church or that they cannot keep Torah as a Hebrew Christian...and automatically having one icon will possibly lead to others being prejudiced and assuming "Hebrew Christian..yeah, you definately don't care about Torah observance or celebration of Torah/Judaism (i.e kosher, Festivals, Rabbinic studies, etc)." They may also be frustrated in light of the aspects of Jewish Christianity that are rather strict in the same way that aspects of MJism are and yet they may feel that it's assumed that being Christian automatically means being against Judaic practice. For them, being able to also have the "Star, Fish, Menorah" symbol is a big deal since it gives completion.

On the same token, someone can have an icon like the Scroll and others can assume "Now that's DEFINATELY someone concerned with keeping Torah!!!!"---but the person they're assuming to keep Torah may also be apart of a camp that they dislike, such as Two House.....and for the person who may be Two House (not an issue really), they may feel that having the Torah Scroll icon isn't really enough to define them---and so they may wish to have the "Star, Fish and Menorah" symbol to show how they are grafted into the Body, love aspects of Judaism and feel apart of Israel.

And then there may be others who see the Star of David with the Cross/take on the symbol alongside the Torah Scroll to show how they are united through Christ with Israel---similar to how many Gentiles feel with Jewish culture/support of the Israeli state when it comes to their thoughts of the "One New Man"...and yet they don't feel that they need to have any other symbol to show who they are. Others not seeing a Torah scroll may be quick to assume they don't care for Torah Observance/studying it or that they may automatically be against all deemed "Christians"...yet they never said such and would have to explain themselves.

The list of variations could go on...but all of that is said to make clear that , ultimately, it seems that the motivations for others having certain icons are not necessarily as simplictic as wanting to show one reality....and if they were allowed to have 2, that'd at least give them the opportuntiy to show their complexity/explain what they are for when they chose a symbol. Personally, I'd be comfortable with the "Star, Menorah and Fish" since it combines all three "Israel, Judaism, Christianity" in ways that I can understand...but the Star of David with a Cross symbolizes how it is only through the death/blood of CHrist (the ultimate focus) that we become apart of what the Lord promised to David.....an everlasting covenant like Acts 13 notes with David's Tent.:)

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The term, Christian, has negative connotations in the Jewish community, but Messianic is a Jewish term with vry possitive connotations.

I can't agree on this small point, just from experience. I think the term Christian is more and more accepted amongst the Jewish people, and the term Messianic is more and more rejected and even despised by some (thanks to groups who target Jews for proselytizing and copy-cat groups who claim to be the "true" Israel etc). I hope that changes, of course.

I think most Jewish people do not know what Christ means. I sometimes wonder if Christians know what Christ means, as it is used more like a last name. Christ to the Jewish people is equal to prejudice, while Messiah is filled with hope.

I agree, in a sense, this is correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ContraMundum

Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Easy G (G²);60112306 said:
Sincerly, if people are that complicated in Messianic identity, then why not make it possible for people to at least have 2 icons---in the event that they feel one doesn't define them as such. There are others who consider themselves to be Torah keepers/passionate for it---and thus the Torah Scroll is important for them--- yet they don't feel that they're disconnected from bridge building in the Church or that they cannot keep Torah as a Hebrew Christian...and automatically having one icon will possibly lead to others being prejudiced and assuming "Hebrew Christian..yeah, you definately don't care about Torah observance or celebration of Torah/Judaism (i.e kosher, Festivals, Rabbinic studies, etc)." They may also be frustrated in light of the aspects of Jewish Christianity that are rather strict in the same way that aspects of MJism are and yet they may feel that it's assumed that being Christian automatically means being against Judaic practice. For them, being able to also have the "Star, Fish, Menorah" symbol is a big deal since it gives completion.

On the same token, someone can have an icon like the Scroll and others can assume "Now that's DEFINATELY someone concerned with keeping Torah!!!!"---but the person they're assuming to keep Torah may also be apart of a camp that they dislike, such as Two House.....and for the person who may be Two House (not an issue really), they may feel that having the Torah Scroll icon isn't really enough to define them---and so they may wish to have the "Star, Fish and Menorah" symbol to show how they are grafted into the Body, love aspects of Judaism and feel apart of Israel.

And then there may be others who see the Star of David with the Cross/take on the symbol alongside the Torah Scroll to show how they are united through Christ with Israel---similar to how many Gentiles feel with Jewish culture/support of the Israeli state when it comes to their thoughts of the "One New Man"...and yet they don't feel that they need to have any other symbol to show who they are. Others not seeing a Torah scroll may be quick to assume they don't care for Torah Observance/studying it or that they may automatically be against all deemed "Christians"...yet they never said such and would have to explain themselves.

The list of variations could go on...but all of that is said to make clear that , ultimately, it seems that the motivations for others having certain icons are not necessarily as simplictic as wanting to show one reality....and if they were allowed to have 2, that'd at least give them the opportuntiy to show their complexity/explain what they are for when they chose a symbol. Personally, I'd be comfortable with the "Star, Menorah and Fish" since it combines all three "Israel, Judaism, Christianity" in ways that I can understand...but the Star of David with a Cross symbolizes how it is only through the death/blood of CHrist (the ultimate focus) that we become apart of what the Lord promised to David.....an everlasting covenant like Acts 13 notes with David's Tent.:)

Good words, brother.

Upvote 0

Qnts2

Jan 31, 2012
✟2,056.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I can't agree on this small point, just from experience. I think the term Christian is more and more accepted amongst the Jewish people, and the term Messianic is more and more rejected and even despised by some (thanks to groups who target Jews for proselytizing and copy-cat groups who claim to be the "true" Israel etc). I hope that changes, of course.

I agree, in a sense, this is correct.

From my view and my experience, most Jewish people do not understand the different Christian groups. So, Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian are all the same with no perceived difference. Since some of these groups have engaged in anti-semitism, that means to many Jewish people, Christianity is basically anti-semitic. It is believed that individuals might not be anti-semitic, but Christianity is anti-semitic. The term has baggage. Plus the term is meaningless or misunderstood in the Jewish community. Christ is not a Jewish term. It loses the very basis of the belief, that Yeshua is the Messiah prophesied in the Tenakh.

I agree that copy cat groups are a problem.

But, as far as proselytizing. That is a loaded term. From a non-Messianic Jewish perspective, proselytizing means to try to convert a person to a different religion. Of course, that is viewed as the worst thing because it steels a Jewish soul. However, Jesus is the Messiah prophesied in the Tenakh, and therefore is not foreign but in reality, all Jewish people should believe on the Jewish Messiah. Messianic Judaism is about sharing the news of Yeshua with the Jewish people.

There is a Christian Zionist group called Christians United for Israel. They hold meetings, and take donations for various causes for Israel. They want both Christians (the donators) and Jewish people to attend together. They have Jewish style music, talk about Israel, and have a teaching for both. But, in order for the Jewish people to attend, they wanted to be sure that no one would share the gospel at these meetings. At the start, the leader of this group went to the various Rabbis. It was quite a discussion as the Jewish community did not trust this Pastor. In the process, the Pastor proclaimed to the Jewish leadership that the Pastor believed that the Jewish people had a covenant with God. That this Pastor did not believe that the Jewish people needed to hear the gospel and would not share the gospel with the Jewish people. And that if the Rabbis would teach the Jewish people about the law and Judaism, then no Jewish person would ever be interested in Christianity. The group forbids any believer from sharing the gospel with Jewish people at their meetings. (This is very unbiblical as scripture says all have fallen short and that there is only one way to God, thru Jesus). They are saying that there is not only no evidence that even a single Jewish person has 'converted' at their meetings, but that there is evidence these meeting serve to prevent Jewish people from believing. Messianic Jews are not encouraged to attend these meetings, as the Jewish community does not want Messianic Jews there.

The term Messianic Jews has come to represent Jewish people who believe Yeshua is the Messiah for the Jewish people.

All of that to say, the Jewish communities objection to Messianic Judaism is that Messianic Judaism believes on Jesus. If the Jewish communities complaint against Messianic Judaism is we believe all people (and all Jewish people) need Yeshua, then we are actually in a good situation. That means we have not muddied the waters with the wrong message. (like the copy cats). Our message really is, Yeshua is the Jewish Messiah, and all people need Yeshua, which includes our fellow Jewish people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
From my view and my experience, most Jewish people do not understand the different Christian groups. So, Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian are all the same with no perceived difference. Since some of these groups have engaged in anti-semitism, that means to many Jewish people, Christianity is basically anti-semitic. It is believed that individuals might not be anti-semitic, but Christianity is anti-semitic. The term has baggage. Plus the term is meaningless or misunderstood in the Jewish community. Christ is not a Jewish term. It loses the very basis of the belief, that Yeshua is the Messiah prophesied in the Tenakh.
All terms can have baggagem, from Christian (meaning "Follower of Christ") to "Torah Observance" (which is not a bad thing in/of itself and yet it has been abused by many in certain Hebrew Roots groups that Jews are offended by it) or even "Muslim" (as the term in its simple form means "Submitted to God")....and even the term "Messianic", in light of how many think of certain camps in the MJish movement that seemed to despise anything Gentile/felt all things had to be "Jewish" in culture/design in order to be acceptable before the Lord, counter to what many non-believing Jews had experienced when they had Gentile friends/family whom they enjoyed seeing in their Gentile lifestyles and did not look upon them while they themselves looked upon their own Jewish heritage.

The amount of Jewish believers really bothered by many in the MJish camp who mistreated them for not treating Gentiles as Jewish and not living like "Israel" should..it is truly saddening, no more different than the groups who claimed to be "True Jews" (like the Black Israelities or those with Britain who claim all Caucasians are the true Jews discussed from before) and gave even that a bad name since they were for Philio-Semitism and mistreated real Jews in the name of the Lord.

But just because a term has been hijacked/misused does not mean it must be discarded forever...as terms can be redeemed. No matter how many times people abuse the term "Black Culture" to justify a HOST of evils done in the name of it (i.e. gang violence, sexualization of women, thug antics, etc), I do not say that it's now a bad thing for someone to say to others they need to value/love Black culture because they may possibly see where it has been thrown off. For the term is innocent and should not be punished.....and the same goes for "Christian" as well as "Messianic" and many others, IMHO.

From a non-Messianic Jewish perspective, proselytizing means to try to convert a person to a different religion. Of course, that is viewed as the worst thing because it steels a Jewish soul. However, Jesus is the Messiah prophesied in the Tenakh, and therefore is not foreign but in reality, all Jewish people should believe on the Jewish Messiah. Messianic Judaism is about sharing the news of Yeshua with the Jewish people.

There is a Christian Zionist group called Christians United for Israel. They hold meetings, and take donations for various causes for Israel. They want both Christians (the donators) and Jewish people to attend together. They have Jewish style music, talk about Israel, and have a teaching for both. But, in order for the Jewish people to attend, they wanted to be sure that no one would share the gospel at these meetings. At the start, the leader of this group went to the various Rabbis. It was quite a discussion as the Jewish community did not trust this Pastor. In the process, the Pastor proclaimed to the Jewish leadership that the Pastor believed that the Jewish people had a covenant with God. That this Pastor did not believe that the Jewish people needed to hear the gospel and would not share the gospel with the Jewish people. And that if the Rabbis would teach the Jewish people about the law and Judaism, then no Jewish person would ever be interested in Christianity. The group forbids any believer from sharing the gospel with Jewish people at their meetings. (This is very unbiblical as scripture says all have fallen short and that there is only one way to God, thru Jesus). They are saying that there is not only no evidence that even a single Jewish person has 'converted' at their meetings, but that there is evidence these meeting serve to prevent Jewish people from believing. Messianic Jews are not encouraged to attend these meetings, as the Jewish community does not want Messianic Jews there.

Sadly, what you noted here is something supported by default with many circles within MJism that emphasize the Obervance of Torah...even going so far as to say that it doesn't matter that Christ came to do that which the Torah could not do (As it concerns salvation) and even saying that what truly makes one saved is Torah Observance....concluding that the Jews themselves can be saved apart from CHRIST since they are obviously keeping a Covenant that was "good enough"/meant to be walked in for all time. It's essentially speaking out of both sides of the mouth, as other MJish believers have noted---for one cannot complain on the Torah with claims of "DIdn't CHrist say the Law would remain forever!!!!!!!" or "God doesn't make mistakes in Covenant!!!!!" whenever there's a desire to tell others that not observing Mosaic Covenant means one's lost------and then say Christ came to offer forgiveness of the consequences of disobediance and then STILL ignore where the logic means that Jewish people don't need to be evangelized since they live out the Mosaic Covenant to the best of their ability/feel that it's valid enough.

For many, what they note is that it's either Christ/His Blood that offers salvation to all men, with the Torah itself not being the means of salvation, or it's Mosaic Covenant that offers salvation and Christ simply came to take away the consquences.....leading to a form of Universalism in its ultimate form. Many Messianic Jews have noted this repeatedly whenever other Gentiles have tried to correct Gentiles they felt were not "Torah Observant" enough for approval before the Lord...and pointed out that if Torah Observanance was enough, they would have stayed/remainded as unbelieving Jews....

The group you're describing, "Christians United for Israel", is noble in their goal to support the Israeli state at all costs and pray for Jerusalem. But indeed, what they and their pastor do (John Hagee) is very anti-Christ since even Christ noted to the Jewish people that they needed His blood/Grace to find salvation---and no amount of Torah observance would ever be enough to merit one into the Kingdom. Nicodemus was told that plainly in John 3 and its interesting to see how many times what Christ said is reversed when trying so much to appeal to others loving Law......

I'm thankful others have called out John Hagee with what he discussed called Dual Covenant Theology/his version of Universalism. And other Messianics have given it alot of serious addressment thankfully. In example:

As Messianic Jew, Dr.Michael Brown, said best when discussing the reality of how many try to deify the Jewish people without realizing that they will also be lost no matter what their heritage may be:
Objection: "
"What would happen to a Nazi murderer who believed in Jesus before he died? Would he go to heaven, while Jewish men, women and children he killed, many of whom were God fearing people, would go to hell?"

Answer: “Based on the teaching of the Hebrew Bible, if the Nazi could truly repent before he died, then God would accept him as righteous. But merely ‘believing’ -- without true repentance -- is meaningless. As for the Jews killed by that Nazi, if they died in right relationship with God, then they would go to heaven; if they died out of favor with Him, they would perish. One thing is very important to remember: The fact that these Jews died in the Holocaust does not necessarily make them ‘saints’ (even though we often speak of the six million Jewish ‘martyrs’ of the Holocaust). Our people were indiscriminately exterminated by the Nazis simply because of their ethnic background -- even if they were total atheists or God-haters. Their tragic suffering in the Holocaust did not, in and of itself, transform them into godly people. To the contrary, many actually lost their faith during that time, while a large number of secular and irreligious Jews became overtly hostile to God.” (See Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus, vol. 1, pp. 35-42.)

Everyone has to go through Yeshua, as He is the Gate--but I wonder often what to make of it when the apostles often noted that those who have heard of Yeshua in this life/reject Him to keep Torah can never be saved ( Acts 28:27 )..and I have to consider the numerous Messianic Jews who noted the only reason they ever came to Christ was because others either showed them the LOVE OF Christ/compassion or made them realize they'd NEVER be good enough by their own merit/effort to be secure with the Lord, the entire reason why CHrist came. They love Torah/discussing it, but it was never their focus as it concerns sanctification since it was never what kept them alone....and if that meant being rejected by others in the Jewish communities as somehow hating God's Holy Law (which was untrue) and being identified with Christians who also discuss the grace of Christ, they were willing to do so.

... the Jewish communities objection to Messianic Judaism is that Messianic Judaism believes on Jesus. If the Jewish communities complaint against Messianic Judaism is we believe all people (and all Jewish people) need Yeshua, then we are actually in a good situation. That means we have not muddied the waters with the wrong message.
:amen:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the term Christian is more and more accepted amongst the Jewish people, and the term Messianic is more and more rejected and even despised by some (thanks to groups who target Jews for proselytizing and copy-cat groups who claim to be the "true" Israel etc). I hope that changes, of course.

Depending on the season one's in can determine whether or not a term is demonized. In example, with folks like John Hagee and "Christians United for Israel", there are plenty of non-believing Jews who have NO problem with the term Christian when seeing others from that camp who say it's God's heart for them to stand with Israel/the Israeli State at all costs and to not evangelize Jewish people. To them, what they do supports Israeli's in multiple levels and its best to leave it be....but for the Messianic Jewish believers in Israel calling the majority of the nation to REPENT and know that punishment will come for not trusting in the Lord just as it did in the scriptures when Judah/Israel rebelled, the Israeli State cannot STAND the name "Messianic Jew"...even going to the point of forbidding other Jewish believers from flying in when they find out that they're Messianic and allowing a world of evil/persecution to occur amongst Messianic Jews for their stances against unbelieving Jews. The same goes for when Messianic Jews note corruption of certain Jewish camps toward other Non-Believing Jews, such as the mistreatment of Jews of color like the Ethopian Jews or the Indian Jews and other groups treated on a Second-Class level due to certain groups having more power than the other ethnic groups and being racist. Those who may be Arab Jews/mixed or even Arab Christians are also included, seeing the ways they are ruthlessly mistreated as well...

Asher Intrater spoke in-depth on the subject, as he is a Messianic Jew living in Israel who simply wants to see the Jewish people come to salvation...and has seen ALOT of evil (as discussed here and here)

Adding to that is the reality that many see the term "Messianic" from what's emphasized in many parts of the U.S and are bothered by it when it seems many Gentiles are seeking to tell other Jews that they are not "Jewish enough" or truly "Israel" for differing in their views on Torah Observance and not treating the Gentiles as if they're Jews....and thus, "Messianic Judaism" becomes something that many Jews are suspicious of....especially those that came to Christ through the actions of Gentiles in the Church as well as Jews and who they did not feel took away from their Jewish culture/heritage. Many may be bothered, of course, by the ways that other "Christians" have made it out to where Jews are no longer important in God's plan...but they don't carry a hatred for Christianity.

In a different setting, if a nation happens to have a leader do evil in the name of "Christ/Christianity"--as it was with the Holocaust and others such as Hitler and other Anti-Semitic Christ,ans aiding in Jews being persecuted (even though not all did so), people become more prone to seeing "Christian" as being a bad thing. Same happened with slavery and imperialism when many indigenious groups (i.e. Aboriginals, Native Americans, Maori, etc) and others such as Blacks saw the ways that Christianity was being hijacked for corruption...and decided that Christaintiy by nature is wrong, saying that it is the "White Man's Religion" or saying Christ was the "White Man's God.."

And no doubt the same would happen in differing ways if a leader came to power claiming to love Israel/be "Messianic" and yet do things toward other groups that are not Jewish...as people would assume the name means corrupted things by nature rather than realizign that the etymology of the word is seperate from its abuses.

Both the term Christian and Messianic have been abused (although both have been used to mean beautiful things historically.."Christian" being used by both Gentiles/Jews in Acts 11:25-27 , Acts 26:27-29 and 1 Peter 4:15-17/ 1 Peter 4 ) and should not be punished---regardless of the baggage that has come with both terms as well as others due to the actions of others...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you are not a Hebrew of the faith, and not a Orthodox Jew, then you have to be grafted in to be Christian or Messianic. Scriptures say so. Christianity or Messianic is a part of Judaism. If you are Non-Trin commandment keeper, you use 7 Lamp Menorah. If you are a commandment keeper and Trinitarian, then you use the scroll. If you are Orthodox Jew, then you use the six point star.
What was the reasoning behind Non-Trin Messianics using the 7 lamp Menorah as opposed to other things? I would think it'd be cool to find an icon that included that alongside Torah scroll or something else...even though I understand that the icon for Non-Trins doesn't mean they're not Messianic. And on what you note, I agree with you that Christianity and Messianic Judaism is really a sub-set of Judaism. Judaism can exist without Christianity, even though Christianity can never exist apart from Judaism....and yet, MJism is the same as Jewish Christianity.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.