• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

My Pumice Challenge

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by AV1611VET, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EternalDragon

EternalDragon Counselor

+12
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    Wrong translation.

Jeremiah 20:7

O Lord, You induced me, and I was persuaded;
    You are stronger than I, and have prevailed.
    I am in derision daily;
    Everyone mocks me.

2. PsychoSarah

PsychoSarah Chaotic Neutral

+2,547
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    Absolutely: no deity had any involvement with the bible, so anything about it that clashes with reality has nothing to do with how honest or deceptive any deity is.

3. PsychoSarah

PsychoSarah Chaotic Neutral

+2,547
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    That is still deceiving. Being persuaded of something that leaves one in derision isn't being truthful. At best you could consider it god warping someone's perceptions, at worst it is outright lying and forcing someone to believe that lie.

4. HitchSlap

HitchSlap Burn the torch!

+4,993
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Depends who ask.

5. Delphiki

Delphiki Well-Known Member

+139
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Others

"Hey Abraham... I have a job for you regarding your son.... JUST KIDDING!"

Do any Christians even read the bible?

6. Chany

Chany Uncertain Absurdist

+215
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    The parts that are convenient for them. Reading the inconvenient parts (or, rather, reading it as it says) is one of the major reasons I left Christianity.

7. Asvin

Asvin Legend

+562
    Catholic
    Private
    Do Atheists even read the explanations for stories in the Holy Bible? :D

8. [serious]

[serious] 'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA Supporter

+1,632
    Non-Denom
    Married
    no.

9. Chany

Chany Uncertain Absurdist

+215
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    You claimed that God cannot deceive. The story of Abraham features God deceiving Abraham, meaning that, according to the Bible, God can deceive.

10. HitchSlap

HitchSlap Burn the torch!

+4,993
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Yes, and those are funny too.

11. quatona

quatona "God"? What do you mean??

+4,155
    Seeker
    Yes, even to the point of reading explanations of the embedded age sort.

12. Delphiki

+139
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Let's assume for a moment I didn't understand why God deceived Abraham into thinking Isaac was to be a sacrifice... You are missing the point, which I've bolded in the previous sentence for you.

13. Delphiki

+139
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Ezekiel 14:9

And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

Jeremiah 20:7

O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived; thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.

God doesn't deceive, except when he does. But when it plainly says he does in the bible, there's a convoluted explanation for it, I'm sure. Probably a matter of metaphor or context, am I right? I smugly await a reply.

14. quatona

quatona "God"? What do you mean??

+4,155
    Seeker
    Embedded deception, presumably. ^_^

15. EternalDragon

EternalDragon Counselor

+12
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    The word is "induced" and I don't think that verse is speaking about God deceiving anyone. Those whole couple of verses are talking about idol worship and the person that worships an idol coming to the prophet to inquire about God. In that case God will induce the prophet and the person that went to the prophet and INQUIRED will be destroyed.

Ezekiel 14:7 For anyone of the house of Israel, or of the strangers who dwell in Israel, who separates himself from Me and sets up his idols in his heart and puts before him what causes him to stumble into iniquity, then comes to a prophet to inquire of him concerning Me, I the Lord will answer him by Myself. 8 I will set My face against that man and make him a sign and a proverb, and I will cut him off from the midst of My people. Then you shall know that I am the Lord. 9 “And if the prophet is induced to speak anything, I the Lord have induced that prophet, and I will stretch out My hand against him and destroy him from among My people Israel.

16. Astrophile

Astrophile Newbie

+1,074
    Atheist
    Widowed

17. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+15,603
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    so the King James 1611 Version got the translation wrong?

18. Delphiki

+139
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    As I said....

:lol:

19. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+16,294
    Agnostic
    Single
    Yes. Because the act of creation is not in and of itself a deceptive act -- it's what One does with the creation that matters.

20. selfinflikted

selfinflikted Under Deck

+735
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Precisely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.