Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeaaaaah, that was kind of my point. Thanks for finally agreeing.

Superb. Nice that you understand that it is indeed through the priest that Jesus forgives. Just like it was the same with His Apostles.

Nice one.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
glad u
Only through the priest? No, which was my point. Thanks again.

Glad you agree.

Jesus gave us the Priest to go to for confession. Jesus works through the priest to absolve sins. It's a wonderful sacrament of the Catholic church.

Through Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture.

Jesus sent out His Apostles to forgive sins. Only those that were blessed by Him. Today the catholic church continues as Jesus taught. Priesthood with Traditions handed down since the very first day in the upper room.

God bless u buddy

Upvote 0

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Pet 2:9-10 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy. Peter writing to the saints tell them they are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, and because of this, having been saved by grace through faith we are to proclaim the good news, in word and in practice. When we share the good news and one receives Jesus as their Savior we can then tell them that by faith in Him their sins have been forgiven and now they are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise. That is what the scriptures teach. If only special people could have your sins forgiven, suppose you live where there were none of the so called special priests and you died, were you lost of saved? Our sins are forgiven when we come to Jesus for salvation and are then freed from the law of sin and death which is what the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to write in Rom 8:2-4 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. So explain how if one is freed from the law of sin and death in Christ Jesus how they are charged with the curse of the law which is, the soul that sins shall surely die. He set all believers free from the curse of the law, Himself have become a curse for us, Gal 3:10-14 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.” 11 But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.” 12 Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.” 13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree, 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

If you reply do not forget to answer the question I highlighted and underlined above, thanks.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

In the Catholic church, I believe the minimum requirement is once a year, preferably during Easter (surely, including Lent).

As goatee seemed to imply above, there is often a palpably mystical dimension that one can experience after making a confession - It would seem to be well described by the expression, 'the peace that passeth understanding.'

I used to feel a bit embarrassed by confessing to the same just two or three besetting sins, which seem more serious than the rest, mostly thoughts of hatred and impure/lustful thoughts. (I'm not talking now about demonic attacks caused by way of OCD, for which the sufferer is not responsible, although, since normally, our sins derive from our fallen condition, they would all ultimately derive from demonic assaults of one kind or another). Then I saw an article in a Catholic online journal, in which the author related that he'd felt the same, and apologised to his confessor. He, however, asked him, 'Why ? Do you want to confess to new sins every week ?' Good point !

Anyway, I'm not always sure how promptly or slowly I put away thoughts of hatred or lust, so I tend to mention that. Sometimes, I realise I was slow. Such venial sins, however, as prompt an immediate response of regret can be made the subject of Acts of Contrition,* at least as a temporary measure. Although, if I tried to keep track of all the lesser venials sins, I'd probably never have time to do anything else.

* An example of an Act of Contrition

O my God, I am sorry for having sinned against you, because I have offended your infinite goodness ; and with the help of your Grace, I resolve never to sin again.

Note that phrase , 'and with the help of your grace.' Clearly, the Church , in its wisdom, has realised that virtue is not only a duty incumbent on the Christian, but is also every bit as much a privilege !

Incidentally, note how David, no matter how anguished his complaints or urgent his petitions to God, concerning his enemies, and no matter how bellicosely he wishes to see them brought to nought, thrown down in the dust and punished, always acknowledges to God his own need of His mercy for his many sins - in the same Psalm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Well, yeah, that was my original point. I'm not sure why you decided to disagree with me about it, but I'm glad you now understand what I was saying. God bless.

It's good to know that u too agree that Catholic confession comes straight from Jesus. A long line in history. Right from the Apostles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the Catholic church, I believe the minimum requirement is once a year, preferably during Easter (surely, including Lent).
Yes.

As goatee seemed to imply above, there is often a palpably mystical dimension that one can experience after making a confession - It would seem to be well described by the expression, 'the peace that passeth understanding.'
I wouldn't deny that, but some people feel the same way after reciting the general confession (in those churches which do it that way). Many feel like that after going to Communion, or after receiving a laying on of hands, or a number of other acts that are considered to be high points in the life of the believer/churchgoer.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Your first assumption is untrue, therefor, your argument falls apart.

I wasn't aware that I was making an argument, but perhaps I was implicitly. What do you think my argument was?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "temporal punishment"? In what way does penance deliver a person from earthly punishments for sins?

That's what I said.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

I'm sure you are right, Albion. Though only Confession and Holy Communion can be experienced repeatedly and regularly. The sacraments are supernatural, indeed, directly divine miracles. And anyway, I believe such experiences are far, far more common than the church even knows; perhaps, understandably, since the culture would make them fearful of seeming to boast.

I was very surprised to read that Pope Benedict said that he had never had a mystical experience, because the impression he made on everyone when he visited the UK seemed miraculous. It certainly did for me, and I wasn't expecting to be so absolutely enchanted. Believe it or not, the colours on our telly, which normally seemed to have been borrowed from an oil-slick, showed in the most beautiful pastel hues, throughout the broadcasting of his visit ! And he just radiated peace. So, I can only assume, with regard to his claim to have never had any kind of mystical experience, that he was like a fish wondering what water would be like.

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "temporal punishment"? In what way does penance deliver a person from earthly punishments for sins?

If you rob a bank and get caught, and convicted, you go to jail. Sorry, but that is an easy one. But in the times Luther was complaining about, you would be forced to wear sack cloth and ashes for six months for unintentionally shorting your neighbor on a sack of flour, or other such things. Time in the stocks would be for more serious matters, such as eavesdropping, gossiping, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

So are you saying that temporal punishment is legal punishment that we are liable to for committing crimes? Is penance meant to replace the need to deal with criminal activity through the legal system?

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So are you saying that temporal punishment is legal punishment that we are liable to for committing crimes? Is penance meant to replace the need to deal with criminal activity through the legal system?

In those times yes. TEMPORAL means "in time." It is why we call our time here on earth temporary! However, you are a Presbyterian, aren't you? I think that means you're a Calvinist, correct? I've been told time and again that Calvinists don't believe in all that Romish, Papist stuff. Or am I wrong?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Calvinists reject what we see as the superstition and excesses of papacy. But there's much good in Catholicism that can be embraced.

So in what way does penance save us from temporary consequences of sin?

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If the penance you are referring to is what the priest assigns as he's granting you absolution, it doesn't remit anything. Your contrition and confession and resolve to amend your life is what counts. The "penance," if we mean by that the "saying of ten Hail Marys and three Our Fathers," for example, is just a gesture on the part of the person who has received the sacrament.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Repayment? no. Atonement, more like. If a kid bats a ball through a window, you can never unbreak the window. You can make reparition, though. It's an attempt to make right what is wrong. Jesus told us "“If your brother* sins [against you], go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother. If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that ‘every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church." I know this sounds backward, but in the first instance, you're allowing the one who sinned against you to repent. That's confession. In modern day, it's voluntary.

By the way, you don't have to only go during set hours. You can tap the priest on the shoulder almost any time, or make an appointment.

Upvote 0