• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Most/least fav parts of Mass?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by bill5, Jan 8, 2012.

1. MikeK

MikeK Traditionalist Catholic

+5,501
    Catholic
    Married
    Agree 100%, that is a huge pet peeve of mine. I wish Priests would save the
    "And let's give a round of applause to Wolseley for donating his time to fix the organ" until immediately after the the dismissal. I would take no issue with a "The Mass has ended, go in peace to love and serve the Lord...after we clap for Wolseley, who fixed the organ at no cost to us!" The points at which the liturgy begins and ends are clear. As far as I'm concerned, anywhere outside of those points, including immediately outside of them, anything goes. Inside of them, hands off!

2. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

+1,226
    Catholic
    Married
    Agree.

And I really dislike it when we are told to applaud in welcome for the guest, parishioner couple, teen, et. al. that is about to "say a few words to us" about whatever (Catholic Charities, full tithing as a couple, a trip to Mexico with the CYO, etc.) in place of the homily and then to "give them another round of applause" afterward.

3. Azureknight 773

Azureknight 773 IXA the Knight Kamen Rider CF Ambassadors

+552
    Philippines
    Catholic
    Single
    Most:
    - Almost all especially the Readings, Our Father and Communion parts the most.
    but the

|
    |
    |/
    Least:
    The silence in between.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. bill5

bill5 Well-Known Member

+2,168
    Agnostic
    Private
    It isn't about getting sick. Just the idea of it turns me off. For ex. if you were drinking something and I - being not at all sick - took it and spit in it and handed it back to you, would you drink it? I know not that same thing but the concept is the same, just a question of degree. I guess point being I try to rush to the front of the line. :)

Glad to find a few others who agree with this. Just happened last week (baptism). This isn't a rock concert. Guess I'm kind of more traditional that way. I do not applaud in church or agree on doing it at all.

5. epiclesis

epiclesis Legend

+784
    Catholic
    Married
    Gosh, me too.

These days, I always have a kid in my arms anyway, so it wouldn't even be an option if I wanted to.

6. MikeK

MikeK Traditionalist Catholic

+5,501
    Catholic
    Married
    The resulting "thud" might add something to the festive clamour if you did. You selfish.

7. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+2,974
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Another thing that used to irk me (although I haven't been to a parish that's done this for quite a few years now) was when there was a baptism or something of the sort going on up front, and the priest would say, "And now I'd like to ask everyone to raise their right hands in blessing...."

I never did that. I looked around the first time I ever saw this done, and it looked way to much like this to me:

[​IMG]

It gave me a chill, it did. :(

8. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

+1,226
    Catholic
    Married
    Gee thanks. Our priest does that frequently, but now I'll never again be able to hear that without thinking of this.

9. truthHurts77

truthHurts77 Newbie

+26
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Republican

i totally agree... and probably couldn't have foiund better words to say it... out of place

i HATE it..

i have seen some parishioner or other (more than one) be super friendly to people he knows (or she knows) and then icy toward someone who ... uh... well God knows...

the middle of the Holy Mass is NOT the time for socializing...

and that is what it always ends up being...

i refuse to take part... sometimes i even... you know.. suddenly have to go to the restroom to blow my nose...

10. truthHurts77

truthHurts77 Newbie

+26
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Republican
    favorite part, other than receiving Jesus, is probably the part where we make our prayer requests...

11. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+2,974
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Sorry. :(

I'll admit, it's fairly restrained at our parish, but I have been places where it looked like the early stages of a cocktail party----people wandering up and down the aisles, slapping people of the back, pumping hands like a politician running for re-election....even the priest in some case was walking up and down the nave shaking hands. The inside of the church sounded like a hive full of disturbed hornets.

It really didn't do much for your concentration on the sacred, that's for sure.

12. Rebekka

Rebekka meow meow meow meow meow meow

+1,147
    Married
    Hm, where I live the sign of peace is just shaking the hands of the parishioners in front of you and behind you (if you want to - it is OK to do nothing), no big deal, and I like it. The person who was singing so loud behind you all the time then suddenly gets a face, which makes him/her less annoying (or not at all annoying anymore). The sign of peace makes it easier for me to focus on what mass is actually about - funny to see that it has the opposite effect on most of you here. But then again, cocktail parties are an American invention. :D

13. Swoosh

Swoosh Sancta Simplicitas

+40
    Catholic
    Married
    I think the reason many people dislike the sign of peace is because it detracts from the focus on our Lord and can turn Holy Mass into the Sunday social.

What's worse is that I went to an Ordinary Form Christmas Mass several years ago where the priest stopped Mass and instructed everyone to sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. :(

14. JacktheCatholic

JacktheCatholic Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.

+2,259
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I love it all. I sometimes find myself so deeply involved that I feel lighter and more serene. I pray with my attention on the Tabernacle before the priest prays over the Gifts and then on Jesus afterwards. From beginning to end it is awesome.

Before the Mass starts I try to prepare myself for the Mass. Maybe confession. Maybe join in the Rosary prayer, or simply private prayer.

After Mass I try to keep my promise to go out and be a witness of Christ.

So, the Mass is a singular event for me and the whole of it is like nothing else. The time before and after are to first prepare me for my time with God and then after to prepare myself for the world that I am to evangelize to.

The only part I do not like is leaving and having the world try to drag me down.

15. bill5

bill5 Well-Known Member

+2,168
    Agnostic
    Private
    Peace detracts from focus on the Lord? ?? Last I checked he was pretty big into peace. :)

The happy birthday thing would be cute with kids; poor form with adults.

16. Aprill

Aprill The paths are many, the truth is ONE.

+37
    Catholic
    Married
    It distracts from the Mass. Happy Birthday is NOT appropriate during a homily. Perhaps after mass, but I'd still be upset.

17. JacktheCatholic

+2,259
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    GIRM:

18. bill5

bill5 Well-Known Member

+2,168
    Agnostic
    Private
    You can't be drunk? :insert Catholic joke here: ;)

19. Rebekka

Rebekka meow meow meow meow meow meow

+1,147
    Married
    That's exactly how it is done in the churches I go to and I do like it. It does not detract from the mass. Now a bad homily (as I described earlier) does.

20. JacktheCatholic

+2,259
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The Homily should reflect the readings. There are rules regarding that as well. So, it depends on what someone considers a bad homily. To me, if it follows the rules then it is good even if it is boring. Anything else, no matter how entertaining, is bad. :)

One of my favorite priests to hear a Homily from is Fr Ben Luedkte (spelling?). Great speaker. But, if you hear him enough you hear some of the same stuff. But even then it is nice to hear and can be fruitful.