Monmouth poll: Vast majority of Americans believe in "Deep state" which orchestrates policy in DC

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "We seem to have a lot in common", files: Majority in new poll: ‘Deep state’ manipulating policy | The Hill

The Monmouth University Polling Institute found that 74 percent believe in a “deep state” when it is described as a collection of unelected officials running policy. Twenty-one percent said they do not believe this kind of group exists.

The poll notes that more than 7 out of 10 Americans polled in each political group, Republican, Democrat and independent, believe in a deep state. Thirty-one percent of Republicans and 33 percent of independents say they believe a deep state “definitely exists,” while 19 percent of Democrats believe this
Curiously, more "Independents" believe in a "Deep State" than either Republicans or Democrats.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Isn't this why you guys have the second ammendement for? I think I've been told things like that numerous times on this forum.

Well, hopp-skip to it then, 74% of the USA. I'll be cheering you on.

Reactions: Snappy1
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hmmm

Pollsters also found that a majority of those polled, 63 percent, said they were “not familiar” with the term "deep state," however. Thirteen percent said they were “very familiar,” while 24 percent said they were “somewhat familiar.”

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
How can you be 'not familiar' with a term, but also think it definitely exists? :confused:

Because the use of the term only recently started being applied to a problem that's been pretty evident for years, if not decades. The term doesn't actually mean some X-Files level nonsense, rather, it's the bureaucracy that's built up over the generations, and which isn't elected into office. That's how people on both sides of the aisle were applying it immediately after Trump's election.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How can you be 'not familiar' with a term, but also think it definitely exists? :confused:
Because the poll asked something like "Do you believe there is a collection of unelected officials that dictate US policy?", then redefined that in the results to refer to "Deep State." Personally, I think far more policy is dictated by lobbyists and special interest groups, which while unelected, are not "officials" either.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Because the poll asked something like "Do you believe there is a collection of unelected officials that dictate US policy?", then redefined that in the results to refer to "Deep State." Personally, I think far more policy is dictated by lobbyists and special interest groups, which while unelected, are not "officials" either.
You don't consider them part of the deep state? :scratch:

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You don't consider them part of the deep state? :scratch:
Not really, given the definition in the poll. They're not officials.

ETA: I've always understood "deep state" to refer to career government employees in influential positions.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Not really, given the definition in the poll. They're not officials.

ETA: I've always understood "deep state" to refer to career government employees in influential positions.
Definition: Deep state in the United States - Wikipedia

Deep state was defined in 2014 by Mike Lofgren, a former Republican U.S. congressional aide, as "a hybrid association of elements of government and parts of top-level finance and industry that is effectively able to govern the United States without reference to the consent of the governed as expressed through the formal political process.​

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
From the "We seem to have a lot in common", files: Majority in new poll: ‘Deep state’ manipulating policy | The Hill

The Monmouth University Polling Institute found that 74 percent believe in a “deep state” when it is described as a collection of unelected officials running policy. Twenty-one percent said they do not believe this kind of group exists.

The poll notes that more than 7 out of 10 Americans polled in each political group, Republican, Democrat and independent, believe in a deep state. Thirty-one percent of Republicans and 33 percent of independents say they believe a deep state “definitely exists,” while 19 percent of Democrats believe this
Curiously, more "Independents" believe in a "Deep State" than either Republicans or Democrats.

The 21% who don't believe are in denial.

• Agree
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CitizenD

Jul 19, 2017
San Francisco
✟100,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Happens all the time. People deal with concepts all the time without knowing specific terms coined for those concepts.
Except you got that backwards: you're using the word without having a well defined concept.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Except you got that backwards: you're using the word without having a well defined concept.
I think you must mean Monmouth University. I understand both the definition of "Deep State" and how Monmouth used the term.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've always believed in some kind of a deep state, just never thought it was partisan.
It isn’t. It’s a phenomenon that happens with any large complex entity made up of human beings. Normally it is fairly innocuous. At it’s worst it is wasteful and inefficient at it’s best it could save America from lying, cheating, stealing real estate tycoons that somehow manage to get elected President by running against Hillary Clinton.

Upvote 0