Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
All I can say is that society prospers most strongly when there is a strong middle class. Income inequality caused the great depression and the great recession. Too much wealth in the hands of too few is deadly.

Those who have nothing but Medicaid are greatful.

Was your father's early death hastened by insufficient insurance?

My aunt's was. They were self employed, working hard, with unaffordable insurance...
nope in fact he had great insurance at the end . The fact was this the cancer had just gone too far and to be quite frank EVERYONE him, my mother me and the rest of the expended family were just about ready for it. He was suffering we were suffering there comes a point in those situations where you just about pray for it . Sometimes I wonder how lack of insurance can cause a death sense most places will work with you and they must treat you if you show up at the hospital ( barring a situation like co-vid or war where there are more people than resources) As to being thankful for Medicaid what good is it if people do not take it? I mean if I have something, but cannot or am VERY limited in where I can use it I may as well not have it.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Designed? Below (highlighted) is what is was designed to do.

The Social Security Act was signed into law by President Roosevelt on August 14, 1935. In addition to several provisions for general welfare, the new Act created a social insurance program designed to pay retired workers age 65 or older a continuing income after retirement.

The problem is people believe what ever they want, but it was designed to pay workers age 65 or older a continuing income after retirement.
Pay people an income is NOT the same as paying them enough to live off of and it is CERTAINLY not the same as enough to live off of comfortabely. You can pay me say $10 on a weekly, monthly whatever basis that is an income, but you and I both know that there is NO way you can live off anywhere close to that and that that would NOT be the point of that tiny amount of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Pay people an income is NOT the same as paying them enough to live off of and it is CERTAINLY not the same as enough to live off of comfortabely. You can pay me say $10 on a weekly, monthly whatever basis that is an income, but you and I both know tat there is NO way you can live off anywhere close to that and that that would NOT be the point of that tiny amount of money.
Irrelevant. It was not designed to be something that people used on top of their retirement. Let's consider the fact that when this was adopted as law many folks were coming out of a depression and HAD NOTHING.

"We can never insure one hundred percent of the population against one hundred percent of the hazards and vicissitudes of life, but we have tried to frame a law which will give some measure of protection to the average citizen and to his family against the loss of a job and against poverty-ridden old age."

President Roosevelt upon signing Social Security Act"

Without Social Security, millions of elderly people would be on the streets.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Social Security has been expanded.

To whoever says widows and orphans shouldn't get help, I say bah-humbug.

Same with the disabled. And yes, taxes went up.

If that occasionally made me grumpy, I would turn it into gratitude for my health and my husband, and for the help we taxpayers could collectively provide them.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Social Security has been expanded.

To whoever says widows and orphans shouldn't get help, I say bah-humbug.

Same with the disabled. And yes, taxes went up.

If that occasionally made me grumpy, I would turn it into gratitude for my health and my husband, and for the help we taxpayers could collectively provide them.
I did not say they did not need help I said that the government should not provide their every need that is for them, their family and the community to do not the government to force. If the government is going to provide help which they are usually not good at it should be limited in scope that means if you want the government to help you beggars cannot be choosers applies and you should not expect to get the "best" quality yes, but not what someone who is paying for their own may have

Even with social security both retirement and disability is based on how much you put in the more you put in the higher your monthly benefit up to a max of I believe $2600 or something Having been on the welfare disability program of SSI ( for people who either did not pay in or have not paid in recently enough that is CRAZY. There is no way NONE someone can live off that. It is like $800 a month with most any resource spouse's income counting either 50c or the dollar or dollar for dollar off your benefits. In those cases a person may as well just let someone else take them into custody just as parents to minors. Speaking of custody do you realize the government spends more money per year on each INMATE than someone gets on SSI ( even at its max benefit) who is free What that tells me is that the government does a poor job of managing the money for those who truly need it; meanwhile you have people who work the system.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was a referring to a comment that said SS should be limited to its 1937 scope.

Social Security is subsistence level for most...but the people who need it most can't afford to save.

Our state is bare knuckles cheap. Unemployment benefits, previously 26 weeks, have been cut to 16. For many, that's not enough, especially people in their 50's. The Chamber if Commerce--small businesses, many who would eliminate the minimum wage if they could,
Complained.

Who looks out for the worker anymore? A Tyson plant here closed and gave workers with 30 years' tenure only $1000. Many were crippled with arthritis. I was involved in fundraisers to help them.

We should have worker protections. Unions. Living wages.

Chicken plant workers work very, very hard. They don't want handouts--just a fair society, as I do.

Ruggedly independent people who don't want help are free to opt out.

• Agree
Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was a referring to a comment that said SS should be limited to its 1937 scope.

Social Security is subsistence level for most...but the people who need it most can't afford to save.

Our state is bare knuckles cheap. Unemployment benefits, previously 26 weeks, have been cut to 16. For many, that's not enough, especially people in their 50's. The Chamber if Commerce--small businesses, many who would eliminate the minimum wage if they could,
Complained.

Who looks out for the worker anymore? A Tyson plant here closed and gave workers with 30 years' tenure only $1000. Many were crippled with arthritis. I was involved in fundraisers to help them.

We should have worker protections. Unions. Living wages.

Chicken plant workers work very, very hard. They don't want handouts--just a fair society, as I do.

Ruggedly independent people who don't want help are free to opt out.
1,000 is like WAY too little for 30 years

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, but think of all the housing that would free up for young families!

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Irrelevant. It was not designed to be something that people used on top of their retirement. Let's consider the fact that when this was adopted as law many folks were coming out of a depression and HAD NOTHING.

"We can never insure one hundred percent of the population against one hundred percent of the hazards and vicissitudes of life, but we have tried to frame a law which will give some measure of protection to the average citizen and to his family against the loss of a job and against poverty-ridden old age."

President Roosevelt upon signing Social Security Act"

Addressing your last sentence much not all but much of that has to do with property taxes as in many if not most cases if you are old enough for age-based social security ( as opposed to disability you already have your house either paid off or close to it, Most people on social security also no longer have kids in public school which is primarily what property taxes fund you drop property taxes after a certain age many elderly would have several 100 or even several 1000s a year. Some counties actually do this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Addressing your last sentence much not all but much of that has to do with property taxes as in many if not most cases if you are old enough for age-based social security ( as opposed to disability you already have your house either paid off or close to it, Most people on social security also no longer have kids in public school which is primarily what property taxes fund you drop property taxes after a certain age many elderly would have several 100 or even several 1000s a year. Some counties actually do this.

And for the elderly that do not own their own homes? What should become of them?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And for the elderly that do not own their own homes? What should become of them?
What do you mean? I was addressing what a big portion of that money goes to without that it would be much easier. The elderly that do not own their own homes do not pay property taxes anyway whether they pay it as part of the rent which you will pay property tax or not property tax or get evicted.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Relax. There is still time for Biden to get us into a shooting war, which will improve the economy and get people's minds off the immigration debacle.
Wow, that’s dark.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Relax. There is still time for Biden to get us into a shooting war, which will improve the economy and get people's minds off the immigration debacle.
Naw, thats straight out of the Republican repertoire.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Naw, thats straight out of the Republican repertoire.
Yeah... all those wars during the Trump administration.
Oh wait.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Indeed it is. Indeed it is.
The economy is chugging along nicely without a shooting war economy pushing it along…well except for all of those munitions that are headed to Ukraine and ((for) now) Israel.

So “hoping” for one might be a bit…

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah... all those wars during the Trump administration.
Oh wait.
I‘m sure Trump would have loved to have the opportunity. All he got was an ongoing debacle from the Bush legacy.

Upvote 0