United States
✟49,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
『Two weeks ago, on a humid Thursday morning, she bundled her eight-month-old baby in the pram and walked with her four-year-old son the short distance to the community centre.

When she arrived, her red-haired son raced off to play while she looked around for her friend.

That was when a staff member approached and asked if it was her first day. Coverdale thought how nice that she was so attentive.

“I’m sorry you can’t come here. It’s a multicultural playgroup.”

But then the woman said: “Can I ask what your cultural background is?”

Taken aback, Coverdale, who has blonde hair and freckles, said: “I’m Australian”.

Immediately, the woman said: “I’m sorry, you can’t come here. It’s for multicultural families and people who speak languages other than English at home.”』

59271a99399c49656960b29c4c81106f

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
it's that snowflakes can feel special
LOL, probably something to that.

I remember getting into a huge argument one time...for years I managed grocery stores in not the best of neighborhoods, so I had a lot of minority coworkers and employees...I had seen this commercial on tv about a dating website that was strictly for black people. I saw it as racist, and asked my black friends how they felt about it...basically I ended up being racist for calling what was racist racist...I don't get it. It's like I've told folks many times before...I'll never judge you by the color of your skin, only by your character.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Post-Evangelical, Social Anarchist, One of The Way
Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
You are right @Big Drew , there is no such thing as reverse racism.
Reverse racism is what the ignorant privileged call affirmative-action and other such attempts to assist those less fortunate.

What is described above is no more than a clumsily handled misunderstanding. Sure, it's not a pleasant thing to happen, but it is not racism.

• Agree
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I wonder why they call it reverse racism? Racism is racism, no matter who it's against.

This is important...the people who are perpetrating the bigotry shouldn't be controlling the language. Racism is racism...no matter who commits it or who it is against.

• Agree
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Reverse racism is what the ignorant privileged call affirmative-action and other such attempts to assist those less fortunate.

What is described above is no more than a clumsily handled misunderstanding. Sure, it's not a pleasant thing to happen, but it is not racism.

That depends on whether or not "white" is a racial construct in Australia.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Also, affirmative action is racism...it's specifically treating people differently based upon race.

You may have used the words "less fortunate" but as far as I know...wealth isn't a factor in affirmative action programs in the U.S. A wealthy black man or woman can be accepted as a student or employee based upon affirmative action just as easily as a poor one to my knowledge.

• Agree
Reactions: 777Sloan
Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is important...the people who are perpetrating the bigotry shouldn't be controlling the language. Racism is racism...no matter who commits it or who it is against.
Yep. It's just another example of political correctness, media spin, whatever you want to call it. It has to do with white guilt...sorry, I don't buy into any of that. Some people are bigots, no matter the color of their skin. I choose not to be, and I'm not going to be made to feel guilty for something I didn't have any part of to begin with...

Upvote 0

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,424.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Yep. It's just another example of political correctness, media spin, whatever you want to call it. It has to do with white guilt...sorry, I don't buy into any of that. Some people are bigots, no matter the color of their skin. I choose not to be, and I'm not going to be made to feel guilty for something I didn't have any part of to begin with...

... reverse racism is political correctness???
the only people who use that term tend to be the people who also complain about political correctness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
... reverse racism is political correctness???
the only people who use that term tend to be the people who also complain about political correctness.
It's one of those things where both sides of the argument do it, but it's only wrong when the opposing party does it.

Kind of like the republicans in my state, and how they scream, "No new taxes!!!" at the democrats. But if a republican says something about raising taxes, suddenly it's okay...because it's for a cause they support. No, it's either wrong or it's not.

Political correctness works the same way.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So I am confused. In the article linked by the OP it says:

linked article said:
After being alerted to the problem on Friday, Education Minister Rob Stokes and his department, to their credit, instructed Fletcher to allow all families to attend the playgroup.

“I was disappointed to hear that a mum and her young child felt they were not welcome... This is not acceptable. Everyone, regardless of their background, should feel included in these wonderful community activities.”

Which is the dictionary definition of the opposite of "acceptable" as presented in the article title. Lying misleading headlines are to be expected from conservative shills like Miranda Devine. Parroting them is not a good look.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I wouldn't be too surprised by that. Several of my ozzie friends would say full on straight ahead racism has been given a blind eye for decades. If anything "reverse racism" has some catching up to do!

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I wouldn't be too surprised by that. Several of my ozzie friends would say full on straight ahead racism has been given a blind eye for decades. If anything "reverse racism" has some catching up to do!
Same here in the States.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

greenguzzi

Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
That depends on whether or not "white" is a racial construct in Australia.
"White" and all other racial descriptions are racial construct in Australia, and where ever they are used. But in Australia the "whites" are the dominant "race", so it's not racism. It's selfish people getting scared because their unearned privileged position is being challenged.

Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Also, affirmative action is racism...it's specifically treating people differently based upon race.

You may have used the words "less fortunate" but as far as I know...wealth isn't a factor in affirmative action programs in the U.S. A wealthy black man or woman can be accepted as a student or employee based upon affirmative action just as easily as a poor one to my knowledge.
That's an excellent point, one that I sometimes forget. Thanks for that.

It reminds me of the story of Paul Revere Williams, a successful African American who had to kowtow to snotty white brats who thought they were better then him. Affirmative action has the power to correct more than just economic injustice.

I stand corrected "less fortunate" can apply to more than just wealth, I'll pay this one because you made an excellent point that I missed.

But unfortunately you are still wrong on the Affirmative Action being racism point. No it isn't. But I forgive you because of the excellent point you made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
@Ana the Ist
I'd like to tell you a little of my story, I hope you don't mind.
I was born in a London slum, as poor as a church mouse. Our rented house had virtually no plumbing; we had to go to a local bath house to wash ourselves. But we had one asset, we were white. Because of our skin colour my parents and I were able to get out of poverty.

I am what the Australians call a "Ten Pound Pom". ("Pound" being the currency, not the weight.)
I am forever grateful for my accident of birth, but I want others to have the same benefit regardless of their skin colour. I personally benefited from the white Australia Policy. The least I can do to acknowledge this benefit is to admit that it was racist, and to therefore combat racism where ever I see it.

If you are as wealthy as I am, then it's because you are were given the opportunity to be so. You might think that it's because you worked hard, and were smart. But you would never had got off the starting blocks if your skin colour wasn't quite right. Except for the legends like Paul Revere Williams, but we can't all be supermen.

Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I'm not going to be made to feel guilty for something I didn't have any part of to begin with...
You are not being asked to feel guilty; that would be pointless. (Where the frack did you get this crap!!)

You are asked to be considerate to those who are being negatively effected by things that you are being positively effected by. Neither you nor they were deserving of either. So be a grown-up and share!

• Agree
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You are not being asked to feel guilty; that would be pointless. (Where the frack did you get this crap!!)

You are asked to be considerate to those who are being negatively effected by things that you are being positively effected by. Neither you nor they were deserving of either. So be a grown-up and share!
Maybe where you live...

Upvote 0