Minnesota Dems strike language excluding pedophilia as protected category under discrimination laws

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

St. PAUL, Minn. (TND) — A new bill in the Minnesota Legislature strikes language from the state’s definition of “sexual orientation,” for the purposes of discrimination and other state laws, that excluded sexual attraction to a child as a protected category.

So it appears that some democrats are trying to make pedophiles a protected class. Why else would they strike the language if not to normalize pedophilia? Further down the slippery slope they go.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The article you linked cites the reason. Did you read it?
"Of course pedophilia is not a sexual orientation - which is why the language never should have been included in the statutory definition in the first place."
Of course marriage is between one man and one woman. Of course we know what a woman is. Of course children cannot consent to gender reassignment procedures. And of course, pedophilia is not a sexual orientation, which is why we should remove the verbiage that will protect children from them.

They claim it was removed because, "Oh come on. We all know pedophilia isn't a sexual orientation." The question remains, why not?

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Interesting cultural situation here.

In Ancient Greece and Rome (probably other cultures), pedophilia WOULD be considered a sexual orientation.

Of course, since then, society has become more enlightenned. We recognize and value that the development of children precludes them from being willing and consenting partners. And we believe adults should recognize that above anything else when it comes to sexual relationships.

So I guess, it's a matter of whether you want to think in terms of a 2000 year old culture, or our current one.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We recognize and value that the development of children precludes them from being willing and consenting partners. And we believe adults should recognize that above anything else when it comes to sexual relationships.
I then assume you reject the notion that children can consent to gender reassignment procedures?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I then assume you reject the notion that children can consent to gender reassignment rocedures?
Well that's different isn't it. Because you should have MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS making the decision.
Someone who WANTS gender reassignment surgery wouldn't need to consent...they WANT it but there's would not be the decision I (personally) would be most interested in.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I then assume you reject the notion that children can consent to gender reassignment rocedures?
Children can't typically consent to any medical procedure on their own.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Children can't typically consent to any medical procedure on their own.
Right, now they need the consent and provision of the parents who fear being called transphobes if they don't take their child to a doctor for a sex change if the 10 year old child believes he/she knows better for him/herself than sane adults do.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Right, now they need the consent and provision of the parents who fear being called transphobes if they don't take their child to a doctor for a sex change if the 10 year old child believes he/she knows better for him/herself than sane adults do.
Of the adjectives I'd use to describe the folks most vocally opposed to and fearful of the trans movement, "sane" wouldn't make the shortlist.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Or the provision of parents who want their child to feel some sense of stability for their mental health and believe that operation will help them (the "regret" numbers of transitioned people lean HEAVILY to no regrets).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Of the adjectives I'd use to describe the folks most vocally opposed to and fearful of the trans movement, "sane" wouldn't make the shortlist.
Those who are stable in their acceptance of their body are sane. Those who deny their own sex, not so much.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Or the provision of parents who want their child to feel some sense of stability for their mental health and believe that operation will help them (the "regret" numbers of transitioned people lean HEAVILY to no regrets).
If that's the way mental health should be stabilized, then mental health institutions should all be emptied out, with all the patients being told, "Oops, sorry! You were right all along!"

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
If that's the way mental health should be stabilized, then mental health institutions should all be emptied out, with all the patients being told, "Oops, sorry! You were right all along!"
I'm not saying it should happen that way. What I'm saying is that medical professionals indicate that, statistically, has shown the most favourable results for the greatest number of patients.

So how is that problematic?

You think the American Association of Pediatrics are all a bunch of fools? Or just that they're "bought and paid for by Big Trans"?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm not saying it should happen that way. What I'm saying is that medical professionals indicate that, statistically, has shown the most favourable results for the greatest number of patients.

So how is that problematic?

You think the American Association of Pediatrics are all a bunch of fools? Or just that they're "bought and paid for by Big Trans"?
Well.....

So I'll let you decide for yourself.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well.....

So I'll let you decide for yourself.
I'd love to read the first one but it's blocked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'd love to read the first one but it's blocked.
Here's the first 3 paragraphs. The 4th one I'm posting is the conclusion.

A spate of headlines this month declared that America’s surge in transgender identification wasn’t being caused by a social contagion. These articles were prompted by a new study by Jack Turban and colleagues in Pediatrics, flagship journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics. The study claimed that social influence isn’t the reason that as many as 9% of America’s youth now call themselves transgender. Thus, Dr. Turban argues, efforts in conservative states to regulate on-demand puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones and surgery must be resisted.

Yet Dr. Turban’s study is deeply flawed and likely couldn’t have survived a reasonable peer-review process. The swift response from the scientific community made both points clear—with even those who support hormones and surgery for gender-dysphoric youth noting that Dr. Turban’s shoddy science undermined their cause.

Nevertheless, the media have promoted his work as a refutation of the claim that the wildfire spread of transgender identity is an example of social contagion—a phenomenon in which members of a group (mostly young and female) mutually influence one another’s emotions and behavior.

The AAP has stifled debate on how best to treat youth in distress over their bodies, shut down efforts by critics to present better scientific approaches at conferences, used technicalities to suppress resolutions to bring it into line with better-informed European countries, and put its thumb on the scale at Pediatrics in favor of a shoddy but politically correct research agenda. Its preference for fashionable political positions over evidence-based medicine is a disservice to member physicians, parents and children.

Dr. Mason is a pediatrician. Mr. Sapir is a fellow at the Manhattan Institute.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't read the link. Keep that in mind.

I believe some people are probably born that way, it doesn't make it right but if they don't actually harm any children, I don't see the problem with having them in a legally protected class.

I'm somewhat sympathetic to barring them from working with children.. but if they've never committed a sexual crime against a minor.. as a society I think we kind of just have to take the risk. I don't like the idea of punishing people for who they are ( if they've never acted on it).. even if some aspects of who they are is reprehensible.

I can understand someone who feels differently though.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
You second article. Here's a quote:
In response to a Wall Street Journal op-ed that I co-authored criticizing the American Academy of Pediatrics’ approach to pediatric gender medicine, Moira Szilagyi, president of the AAP, has written that “gender-affirming care . . . doesn’t push medical treatments or surgery; for the vast majority of children, it recommends the opposite.”

This is a welcome development, and marks a reversal of the AAP’s previous policy.
It's NOT a development. It is STANDARD treatment.

This is akin to one of those "when did you stop beating your wife?" type of situations. Insinuate de facto treatment is medical treatment and surgery. When it is pointed out that is NOT standard treatment, they claim "Well it's great that we have this change". That was ALWAYS the standard. Other quotes from bit players were misrepresented and taken to be recommended treatments.

If you read the paper cited in your second article, you'd see that what that person is saying is that treatment that basically says "you shouldn't be trans" is bad and not repairative or helpful. He gives a list of guidelines and its not surprising the article chooses one out of about 4 treatment strategies. This journalist is SEVERELY misrepresenting the science and the professionals who practice it.

Honestly, journalism may be the biggest bastion of Dunning Kruger that exists on the planet.

Keeping in mind, the professionals that use these strategies are the ones that LEAD TO the quote given ABOVE ("for the vast majority of children, it recommends the opposite").

This was not my clearest writing so I apologize if it's not making sense. I'd be happy to clarify.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well that's different isn't it. Because you should have MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS making the decision.
Someone who WANTS gender reassignment surgery wouldn't need to consent...they WANT it but there's would not be the decision I (personally) would be most interested in.
Just so I understand your position properly. You are saying that because children are not medical professionals, they should not make decisions about gender reassignment procedures.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0