Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A California baker is elated over her religious freedom win after a judge ruled she was within her rights to deny making a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. Cathy Miller, owner of Tastries Bakery in Bakersfield, California, made headlines this week when she won her battle against the California Department of Fair Housing and Employment, which sued Miller over what it saw as intentional discrimination. The state unsuccessfully argued the baker had violated the Unruh Civil Rights Act, a California law protecting people from discrimination at businesses based on age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, religion, and other factors.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ8zFXdA6ng

A California state judge on Friday handed a victory to a bakery owner who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, citing religious objections.
https://thehill.com/regulation/cour...a-baker-wins-case-over-same-sex-wedding-cake/

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,634.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Really glad about this ruling. The state was nothing short of malicious to take action. It is not like she was the only baker around. She was kind enough to recommend her competitors as alternative as court filings showed.

As a Christian shouldn't be made to damage his/her faith so too the LGBT must be accorded the same. Therefore if a LGBT baker rejects baking a custom Christmas cake it must be equally protected.

Good fences make good neighbor. Too bad modern America politicians can't think & act beyond the dogma of their ever extremist political alignment.

• Agree
Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

A_JAY

Site Supporter
Mar 8, 2017
North Central
✟484,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The judge ruled that baking the custom cake falls under “artistic expression,” so Miller’s First Amendment protections to free speech supersede the state’s interest."

While I don't think that baking a custom cake is 'artistic expression', I do applaud the decision.

• Useful
Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a Christian shouldn't be made to damage his/her faith so too the LGBT must be accorded the same. Therefore if a LGBT baker rejects baking a custom Christmas cake it must be equally protected.
What does LGBT have to do with Christmas?

Upvote 0

WintersDust

Nov 6, 2022
Alexandria
✟2,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really glad about this ruling. The state was nothing short of malicious to take action. It is not like she was the only baker around. She was kind enough to recommend her competitors as alternative as court filings showed.

Good fences make good neighbor. Too bad modern America politicians can't think & act beyond the dogma of their ever extremist political alignment.
It appears to be an agenda against Christians.

I don't know how any rational person would think it wise to force someone to make food for them. Cakes, whatever.

It makes no sense.
Though it is telling that a community of persons demanding tolerance have among their number those who have no tolerance for those holding to Christian values.

There is one issue attached to this ruling I'd think. What does it bode for businesses in future? Are gay owned businesses able to refuse to create cakes for Christians now?

It seems like this could snowball.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are gay owned businesses able to refuse to create cakes for Christians now?
I think the issue is custom-made cakes (in both directions).
I don't think that any party can legally refuse to sell already-made, non-custom [cakes].

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does it bode for businesses in future? Are gay owned businesses able to refuse to create cakes for Christians now?
It seems like this could snowball.

A business should be able to say this is what we make, here is our range. If you don't like it, go someplace else.
It doesn't matter who the business is run by, if you don't like what they offer: Go.Someplace.Else.
People are so entitled.

This and other cases are so blatantly obvious as attacks. They already know before going in they won't have what they want but they want to force them to give them what they want even though they know full well there are plenty of other shops who will give them what they want. It's pure narcissism.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A California baker is elated over her religious freedom win after a judge ruled she was within her rights to deny making a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. Cathy Miller, owner of Tastries Bakery in Bakersfield, California, made headlines this week when she won her battle against the California Department of Fair Housing and Employment, which sued Miller over what it saw as intentional discrimination. The state unsuccessfully argued the baker had violated the Unruh Civil Rights Act, a California law protecting people from discrimination at businesses based on age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, religion, and other factors.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ8zFXdA6ng

A California state judge on Friday handed a victory to a bakery owner who refused to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, citing religious objections.
https://thehill.com/regulation/cour...a-baker-wins-case-over-same-sex-wedding-cake/

As long as the rule is applied evenly, across the board. So if somebody declines to do a Christian event cake, like a baptism or wedding, their right to refuse service is protected.

And thank goodness for Yelp, so if people are not serving LGBTQA+ persons or their events, I know and don’t give them my business.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And thank goodness for Yelp, so if people are not serving LGBTQA+ persons or their events, I know and don’t give them my business.
What if they are the only ones who are willing to make a cake for your event (like a heteronormative wedding)...?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What if they are the only ones who are willing to make a cake for your event (like a heteronormative wedding)...?

Frankly, I think they should be compelled to make a cake for anybody who asks. I think if you are going to discriminate based off of gender or orientation then you don’t deserve to be in business.

Sadly, our stacked Supreme Court won’t support that so the only best option available is mutually protected discrimination and hoping capitalist activism through boycott will do the rest.

If that means that I can’t get a cake for my event based on a baker turned morality police, that means I can’t get a cake for my event.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If that means that I can’t get a cake for my event based on a baker turned morality police, that means I can’t get a cake for my event.
Doesn't your proposed boycott make you the morality police...?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,634.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It appears to be an agenda against Christians.

It has obvious all written over it. Did you read of any Muslim or Jewish bakers hauled to court for refusing homosexual requests? All the cases I have read involved LGBT activists vs Christian bakers. In all cases there are LGBT serving bakeries nearby the Christian bakery as alternatives.

Those cases were less of getting a cake baked than serving up a social cause.

I'm a fair guy, I don't want anyone to be discriminated against. However when anyone tries to use socially sensitive issues to duress, blackmail or pressure another even if you belong to the so called "victim" group I'll go hard on you.

No one gets to wave their victim card in front of my face, period.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, I think they should be compelled to make a cake for anybody who asks. I think if you are going to discriminate based off of gender or orientation then you don’t deserve to be in business.

Sadly, our stacked Supreme Court won’t support that so the only best option available is mutually protected discrimination and hoping capitalist activism through boycott will do the rest.

It isn't about buying or making a cake for whoever asks, that isn't what is happening.
If the customer wanted something within the range made by the baker they would have been happily served, this issue is the customer trying to force the baker to make something the business does not make.

They are not being the morality police they are stating these are my beliefs and what I make. You either accept what a business makes or serves and purchase from that range or go elsewhere.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It isn't about buying or making a cake for whoever asks, that isn't what is happening.
If the customer wanted something within the range made by the baker they would have been happily served, this issue is the customer trying to force the baker to make something the business does not make.

They are not being the morality police they are stating these are my beliefs and what I make. You either accept what a business makes or serves and purchase from that range or go elsewhere.

And as long as that applies across the board, like one can refuse to serve Christian-based celebratory events and be protected.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And as long as that applies across the board, like one can refuse to serve Christian-based celebratory events and be protected.
That contradicts your previous post.

(You are saying that an LGBTQ+ baker can be discriminating in their commissions, but a Christian baker cannot.)

Upvote 0