Militants of TAW starting January 2006 (Introduction Thread)

Akathist

Theology Team
Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Here we will have an updated roster of Eastern Orthodox, Cataechumens and sincerely inquiers to the Holy Orthodox Church.

Post here just once, and please do not comment on other posts. This is just a roster.

If you have an update, for example, you were an Inquirer and you have become a Catechumen, please just edit your original post rather than make duplicates. However, please send a PM to a staff member if you change your status so that we can update the totals.

There is another thread for saying "hello" and greeting others, it is The Greetings Thread:

We also have a social spot called the Taverna. I can't give you the link because we have new Tavernas starting all the time. Generally you will find this on the first page, just scroll down.

Guests and new TAW members need to read the "Required reading" HERE (current TAW members should check that thread for updates periodically.)

For those already recorded in the other Militants of TAW Thread, please post here again.
(That thread became off topic and is so long, and besides, some people have left and some have never posted there.)

Here is the Info that would be good to post:

1. Real first name or Nameday Name (this like everything is optional)
2. What jurisdiction your parish is in. (OCA, Greek, etc.)
3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer (by this we mean that you have started attending an Orthoodox Church and meeting with the Priest or someone they designate to teach you about the faith)
4. Any other interesting pits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, etc.

Thanks.

Reactions: Via Cassian

Akathist

Theology Team
Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
edit: this is very out of date and I will eventually update it with links to posts.

Orthodox:
Greg the byzantine, real name Gregory, Sts. Name Gregory
HandmaidenOfGod; (Maureen)
Ioannis (John)
moses916 (moses)
Petronius (Petronius Nicolae)

Emmanuel-A (Emmanuel)
jmbejdl; (James)
Khaleas (Jen-Xen, Jennie-Xenia )
Kolya (Philip)
Mary of Bethany (Mary)
Michael the Iconographer; (Michael)
Oblio (Christopher) *tonsured Reader
Photini (Heather)
Spyridon (Steve)
theoforos (Mikael)
thornygrace (Xenia) now called Akathist

Catechumens:
forgivensinner001 (Brad Thomas)

Serious Inquirers:
eoe (Rob)
EricTheRed (Eric)
Uncle Bud (Bud Scott, or Uncle Bud)

Other:
Choirfiend
gtz

Jurisdictions:
Antiochian
forgivensinner001
moses916 (moses)

Bulgarian Orthodox
Uncle Bud

Finnish Orthodox Church
theoforos (Mikael)

Greek Orthodox Church of America:
eoe (Rob)
Greg the byzantine, (Gregory)
Ioannis (John)
Photini (Heather)

Orthodox Church of America:
EricTheRed (Eric)
gzt
HandmaidenOfGod; (Maureen)
Mary of Bethany (Mary)
Michael the Iconographer;
Oblio (Christopher) *tonsured Reader
Spyridon (Steve)
thornygrace (Xenia) Akathist

Orthodox Church in the Czech lands and Slovakia.

Orthodox Church in Japan
Ioannis (John)

Romanian Orthodox Church
jmbejdl; (James)

Russian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarch, America)

Russian Orthodox Church (Paris, France, Note: New Calendar)
Emmanuel-A (Emmanuel)

Russian Orthodox Church (in South Africa)
Kolya (Philip)

Tonsured:
MosesTheBlack: Reader
Oblio: Reader

Iconographer
Michael the Iconographer

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Remember that it is optional to participate but the purpose of this thread is for a roster. If you do not wish to state your status especially, feel free skip this thread. It is not a requirement.

Here are the questions that you can quote and answer for ease:
3. Status: Orthodox, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer (by this we mean that you have started attending an Orthoodox Church and meeting with the Priest or someone they designate to teach you about the faith) Inquirer (not yet fully serious but interested.)
4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc, IM information can be shared if you are willing to have anyone here add you.

If you change your name remind me to change the information in the second post so we can all remember the new name with the person we already know.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
thornygrace said:
1. choirfiend!
2. Orthodox-whatever church I am able to attend.

3. Orthodox-no false categorizations here!
4. I teach swing dancing! I am looking for a job as a music educator in the public schools.

Sorry if this seems less than helpful, but this is how I do truthfully answer it!

Reactions: SumTinWong
Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Behind the name Khaleas hides Jennie. My patron saint is St Xenia of St Petersburg so through that I've gotten many names: Jen-Xen, Jennie-Xenia or whatever someone here can come up with :D .

Although I'm originally from Finland, my current location is close to Baltimore, MD, but I'm moving to Norfolk area in VA in about 6 months. I finally then get to be with my husband, Kevin, who is in the Navy.

Here in the US my home church is Holy Trinity ROC, which is a church under the Moscow Patriarche. When I go to Finland, I generally attend services at churches under the Finnish Orthodox Church.
I grew up Lutheran (not active, just Lutheran on paper basically, like lots of Finnish people are) and at 18 I left church. I had always been interested in the Orthodox church (it felt a little secret and a bit foreign) and some years ago that interest took more speed. I was Chrismated into the Orthodox church (at Holy Trinity) Pascha 2005.

No children yet, but we have two Dachshunds, the mighty wienerdogs Hamish and Barnes. And two Birman cats (well, three still but one is moving out): Indi, Dale and Annie.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Xenia (for Ven. Xenia of Rome, Names Day: 1-24)

OCA, Midwest area

3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer (by this we mean that you have started attending an Orthoodox Church and meeting with the Priest or someone they designate to teach you about the faith)

Convert (past affiliations: United Methodist for over 25 years, then Pentecostal for 8 years, then Southern Baptist for 4 years, Nazareen for 3 years.)

4. Any other interesting pits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc

marital status: seperated :( (not my wish), no children, two orange tabby senior citizen cats, reading "cozy" murder mysteries (like the "Cat who went bananas), playing cards and board games in real life and on the net, scrapbooking, cross stitch, cooking and collectin recipies, general crafts.

At church I am on the parish council :doh: (why, I don't know!), I am also responsibile for the electronic library of CD's at church and the care and feeding of the table/icon stand covers, etc for the church as well as the care of as in polishing the numerous candle stands. (the last two feel like penance rather than a ministry.)

Education: I have a Bachelors Degree from the Honors College of Western Michigan University with a double major of "Anthropology" (emphasis cultural, but had extra physical anthro classes, and the required archeology course work) and "Religion" (which has an emphasis on the scientific study of Religion, cross cultural religious expression, myth and ritual studies, and very little about Christian religious expressons.)

My Master's Degree is in Counseling Education Counseling Psychology also from WMU with an emphasis on Clinical Psychology. I have worked primarily with criminals in my career and specialize in the treatment of sexual offenders (child molesters, rapist, etc). However, I did take a few years off from that and was a child therapist.

Currently I am running a part time treatment program for the treatment of sexual offenders who live in the community.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
thornygrace said:

4. Any other interesting pits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc

1. Michael
2. OCA
3. Convert, Chrismated Lazarus Saturday 1999. Details on my conversion can be found in my epic conversion story in the Conversion Stories thread.
4. Iconographer, woodturner and photographer with two English Toy Spaniels. What else do you need to know about me? I enjoy hiking, fishing, fine cigars and German Bier. I bleed black and gold (GO STEELERS!) And I speak English and Deutsch (German).
5. For those of you who are constantly questioning them: my credentials as an iconographer are as follows:

1. Studied iconography for 9 1/2 years (as of Jan. '06), 3 under the direction of a master iconographer.
2. Have had essays on The Meaning of Icons and Why Orthodox Churches are Full of Icons published in the Dec.'00 and Jan.'06 issues of WORD magazine. Have had icons published in WORD magazine, on it's cover, in textbooks and other books. Essay #3 will be published this sping. I will release the title of the essay once it is published.
3. Exhibited at the Bi-annual Icon Festivals of the Brotherhood of Orthodox Clergy of Greater Pittsburgh in 2000, 2002, 2004 and will be there again for the 2006 festival in March.
4. Taught a class on iconography at Lorain Community College.

Upvote 0

moses916

Lord have mercy
Mar 31, 2005
✟9,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

moses (patron saint: Holy Prophet Moses)

Antiochian

Cradle Orthodox

Studying business at University (2nd year); Hope to go to Orthodox Seminary after this :)

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
1. Real first name or Nameday Name
Mary

2. What jurisdiction your parish is in.
OCA

3. Status:
Convert - I was Chrismated on Holy Saturday 2001. I was raised in the Southern Baptist Church, then spent 10 years as an Anglican Catholic before converting to Orthodoxy.

4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share:
I sing in our choir; I'm married but my spouse did not convert with me; I have 2 grown sons, one now married; I love sports, especially hockey, music of all sorts, and reading!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bud Scott, or Uncle Bud
Bulgarian Orthodox, in East Syracuse NY
3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer
Serious Inquirer, but struggling every day
4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc
I am married to my best friend and the love of my life. I have a golden retriever named Angie. Got my GED in 2003, love the Cubbies and the Tigers, I work as a home health aide for a great man in a wheel chair, yadda yadda...

Reactions: Michael G
Upvote 0
Rob
GOArch
I suppose I am a serious inquirer.
4. Any other interesting bits of information you want to share such as: marital status, children, pets, hobby's, church activies such as singing in the choir, educational background, what you do for a living, etc
Married w 2 kids.
I have 3 dogs - Big, Bigger, and Chihuahua
My Dad an I started mountain biking last year when I quit smoking and we are still at it (yay!)
My church activity is trying to get in^_^
I went to Reinhardt College and was prompty kicked out (oops!)
My wife and I own 2 mortgage companies.
I was raised Methodist by Baptist parents and eventually got disenchanter with the Methodists. In my search for a church I became more and more fundamentalist in my outlook until I came here and started researching Orthodoxy. The truth hit me like a brick and I was forced to admit that I was wrong on many things. So....Here I am.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am gzt. See my icon for details.
Whatever it takes, but I'm dogmatically OCA.
I am, at this time, Orthodox.
Sometimes I'm an altar boy. I like the shiny robes. I often have a large beard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Namesday: Oct 1, The Feast of the Protection of the Theotokos

OCA

I'm a Cradle-Convert. :D (Yes I did have to be that difficult and create my own category! lol)
I was baptised into the Orthodox Church as an infant, and raised in both the Orthodox and Baptist Church's as a child and young adult. I finally "came home" to the Orthodox Church during Great Lent of 2004, and I'm here to stay. :D

I'm a born and raised Jersey girl, I love NY Jets fooball, and I sing alto in my Church's choir.

Upvote 0
K

Kolya

User name:Kolya Real Name: Philip Loren Venter Name day Name: Nikolai for New Holy Martyr St Tsar Nicholas II celebrated July 17

St Sergius of Radonezh parish under Moscow Patriarchate (ROC) in Johannesburg, South Africa. However, our parish is also subject to the local GO Metropolitan of the Patriarchate of Alexandria.

3. Status: Cradle Orthodox, Convert, Catecumen, Serious Inquirer
Convert - Chrismated on Palm Sunday 2004 - 04/04/04.

Like Uncle Bud, I am married to my best friend and the love of my life.:) I sing in the Choir for the English Language Divine Liturgies we hold once a month.

Upvote 0

Ioannis

I'm home!
Dec 31, 2005
United States
✟16,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1. Real first name or Nameday Name (this like everything is optional):

John

Back home, Greek Archdiocese
Here, Orthodox Church in Japan

Cradle Orthodox

Single, and in the Air Force stationed in Japan. Before I joined the Air Force, I was an Altar boy "director" at my parish. I'm considering going to seminary once I get out of the military. I wish I had time for hobbies. I could pick up snowboarding, but I'm not big on any activities that make me have to be out in the cold and snow. If I have any hobbies, it's probably just reading. All and all, I'm just kind of boring.

Upvote 0

Ioan cel Nou

Jul 15, 2005
Barnsley, UK
✟16,378.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hi, I posted in the old thread but, my name is James (patron saint James the Persian, celebrated on 27th November), I'm a convert in the Orthodox Church of Romania. I was actually Chrismated in a Greek parish but was married in a Romanian church and now worship at the Romanian parish of St. Macarios the Great in Mirfield, Yorkshire. As far as Church activities go, I'm basically just your average layman, though (being the only Englishman in the parish, as far as I know) I do tend to get much of the English prayers, creed etc. to read. I'm also trying to learn to sing the responses properly in Romanian so that, hopefully I can sing in the choir (although I have mixed feelings about this - when I sing others seem to join in who don't normally - shamed by the foreigner? - and I'm not sure being in the choir would have the same effect.

I'm married to a cradle Orthodox Romanian called Gabriela (since 2001) and have two children, a boy aged three and a half and a girl who was born on 15th December (William Stefan Vlad and Sabina Daniela Ioana respectively). We have a moggy called Tabitha who basically just uses our home as a hotel - not sure whether she's our pet or we are hers.

James

Reactions: SumTinWong
Upvote 0