Militants of TAW starting January 2006 (Introduction Thread)

OrthodoxOkie

May 30, 2016
Rural Oklahoma
✟8,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi, Basil,

Welcome (back) to CF and to TAW! It's very cool for me to meet someone from "way back". :) You wouldn't remember me then, since I've only been here a few years.

I have a good friend on FB named Basil but I doubt you are the same person, though your intro DOES make me think of him. Your priest wouldn't be named Fr. Stephen, would he?

It's great to have you though, and I look forward to seeing you post here. :)

Thanks, Anastasia. No, my priest is Fr. Ambrose, who is the priest at Holy Apostles in the Tulsa area. I'm currently living and working in exile in a smaller city, Muskogee, southeast of Tulsa.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, Anastasia. No, my priest is Fr. Ambrose, who is the priest at Holy Apostles in the Tulsa area. I'm currently living and working in exile in a smaller city, Muskogee, southeast of Tulsa.
Ah, then it's nice to meet you. :)

As I said, your background sounded quite a bit like him, but he has been trying to scale back internet involvement, so I doubted he would take on a new forum. And Basil is not a rare name. :)

In exile? I hope you're able to attend Liturgy as much as you like then.

Very glad to have you here! :)

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No, I am not Appalachian Orthodox.
I've never been to the Appalachian region,
nor am I very close to it....

so...?

So???

So, you dog!

So yet ANOTHER of my GREAT THEORIES, OK???

Is yet AGAIN...

WRECKED on the ROCKS of REALITY!!!

AND...

For that reason ALONE...

May I be the umpteenth sinner to WELCOME YOU to Christian Forums...

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome.
Basil

God Bless you Brother!

Arsenios

PS - So HOW can you be an Orthodox Okie without Appalacian Origins?

Oklahoma???

A.

PPS - I just saw - it IS Oklahoma!

Oh well...

They shoot horses, don't they?

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I have some close friends who moved up to your parish from my former parish in the Dallas area. Elaine & Gregory. They sing in the choir. Perhaps you know them?

I really want to visit your parish one day. Fr. Ambrose used to serve at my former parish some times, before he was assigned to Holy Apostles.

Mary

Upvote 0

OrthodoxOkie

May 30, 2016
Rural Oklahoma
✟8,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have some close friends who moved up to your parish from my former parish in the Dallas area. Elaine & Gregory. They sing in the choir. Perhaps you know them?

I really want to visit your parish one day. Fr. Ambrose used to serve at my former parish some times, before he was assigned to Holy Apostles.

Mary
Mary of Bethany, I remember you too!

Yes, I know Elaine and her husband Neil. I didn't know his baptized name--he's soft-spoken and I honestly haven't talked to him much.

Fr. Ambrose is a wonderful priest and Holy Apostles a loving parish family. I hope you're able to visit.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟134,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I see some familiar user names. I remember ArmyMatt and yours definitely sounds familiar. I also remember Eric the Red and Matrona....although I don't know if they're here anymore.
Yeah, they've both moved on with life like so many others. Aria, Oblio, ClementofRome... Good times.

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think I remember seeing Matrona. I've been here since the very beginning of 2014, and it seems a "group" disappeared right away, then another subset has stopped posting since then. The new format cost posters here and elsewhere too.

I for one kind of hope some come back. Monachos is the only other really good Orthodox place I've found, and it's nearly dead, and the registration seems broken. I've tried to join there and can't.

We all need a good place to connect. My parish is too far away, and to be honest, while I dearly love the folks there, there isn't much interest in discussing the kinds of things we often discuss here. Times like this - summertime so few services, plus I've been sick and haven't been able to go - I need a place like this. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, I've been reading old threads. There's some good stuff back there. (Here, not OCNet)

The local parish is THE place to interact with other Christians, of course. But I hope good online communities can exist for people looking for Orthodoxy, those with no local parish, those who parish is far away, those who are often sick, stay at home parents, and any other number of situations that might make it difficult to connect consistently there.

Upvote 0

Brother Lazarus

Mar 20, 2017
New York
✟8,099.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Greetings!

Douglas (Alexis Toth)
Converted in 2002 at the age of 42
OCA but lean ROCOR
Baptized as in infant in the Roman Catholic Church
Russian Orthodoxy was the faith of my maternal grandmother and great-grandparents
I am married and have three grown daughters 27, 23, and 18.
I am a high school history teacher.

Nice to be among you!

Reactions: ma2000
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello.
I'm new to the Orthodox life. I'm soon to become a Cathecumen. Our parish will be St. Anne (OCA) in Oak Ridge, TN with Fr. Stephen Freeman.

I am a 40 year old former Protestant pastor. I now teach High School Special Education. My wife of 20 years is also a teacher and will also be coming to the Church. We have 5 children, 4 boys and 1 girl.

I look forward to learning from this forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,933.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Edward
Chrismated Lazarus Saturday 2015 after a year (plus) in catechism.
My home parish is Holy Trinity GOC in Nashville TN

I'm a former Southern Baptist, my parents were independent Baptist, married, 3 'adult' children (youngest is 19)
Vocation: audio-video engineer currently, 12 years in radio/broadcasting.
I've been posting some here already but just opened this thread. :/

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello.
I'm new to the Orthodox life. I'm soon to become a Cathecumen. Our parish will be St. Anne (OCA) in Oak Ridge, TN with Fr. Stephen Freeman.

I am a 40 year old former Protestant pastor. I now teach High School Special Education. My wife of 20 years is also a teacher and will also be coming to the Church. We have 5 children, 4 boys and 1 girl.

welcome to TAW! hope you stick around and God bless you on your journey! you are in good hands so please keep us in the loop!

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟738,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Darin

Greek Orthodox Church of America

Serious Inquirer for now. I truly hope to become a Catechumen someday. I haven't spoken with the Priest yet, but I will start attending the Orthodoxy 101 classes during the week very soon. I have been lurking mostly to get a feel for the Orthodox (and posting occasionally) since back in December or November, though I didn't notice this thread until very recently.

Also I've been doing as much reading as I can on the Saints, watching videos on Youtube on Orthodoxy from various Orthodox clerical sources, and listening to Ancient Faith Radio (talk and music portions). I also really enjoy Orthodox chants, and reading about the history of the Church. I'm trying to make sure I'm not moving too fast, or jumping in blind so to speak.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Darin

Greek Orthodox Church of America

Serious Inquirer for now. I truly hope to become a Catechumen someday. I haven't spoken with the Priest yet, but I will start attending the Orthodoxy 101 classes during the week very soon. I have been lurking mostly to get a feel for the Orthodox (and posting occasionally) since back in December or November, though I didn't notice this thread until very recently.

Also I've been doing as much reading as I can on the Saints, watching videos on Youtube on Orthodoxy from various Orthodox clerical sources, and listening to Ancient Faith Radio (talk and music portions). I also really enjoy Orthodox chants, and reading about the history of the Church. I'm trying to make sure I'm not moving too fast, or jumping in blind so to speak.

Glad to have you here, Darin. :) Welcome, welcome!

Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello.

And hello, Hermit, welcome to TAW!

I think you're especially blessed to be in Fr. Stephen Freeman's parish. :)

Btw, would I be too nosy if I asked what kind of Protestant pastor?

Upvote 0