Might is right because God was on the side of David (Israel) who bested Goliath (Philistines).

Bouan Philippe

Apr 27, 2021
Il de Paris
✟4,379.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Samuel 17:45-47
Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted. This day the Lord will deliver you up into my hands, and I will strike you down and remove your head from you. And I will give the dead bodies of the army of the Philistines this day to the birds of the sky and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, and that all this assembly may know that the Lord does not deliver by sword or by spear; for the battle is the Lord’s and He will give you into our hands.”

Based on this, we can infer that God must always be on the side of any country which has a military capability that is inferior to the United States.

As the below Scripture has demonstrated that God always fought on the side of Israel when they had defeated numerically superior armies.

Such military victories could only be described as 'miracles' due to the existence of divine intervention to make such victories possible.

In turn, such miracles are proof of Israel's holy covenant, or proof of the new covenant and the divine nature of Christ himself (Revelation 17:14 & 19:16, 20, 21):-

Source: 40 Bible verses about Victory, As An Act Of God

For how else should the underdog defeat a vastly superior army, unless God Himself is vastly superior to the latter?

Consequently, God is always on the side of the underdog in this particular example, and together, they are vastly superior to Satan, his demons and evil armies (Revelation 19:19).

Please discuss.

320px-David_von_Michelangelo.jpg

Last edited:

Bouan Philippe

Apr 27, 2021
Il de Paris
✟4,379.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would have thought that the point of the story was that might was not right, and ultimately will not triumph.

Assuming that "might is not right", then how did David best Goliath, unless God was on the side of the former to make such a miracle possible (as attested by the above Scripture)?

Ultimately, history is always written by the winner, however small he may seem; for in reality, the actual winner would always be God who is bigger than Goliath and bigger than any country, which includes the United States.

Except that it might be politically expedient (or correct) to make the Contrarian argument to the effect of saying that Satan (and the enemy) is allegedly greater than God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted. This day the Lord will deliver you up into my hands, and I will strike you down and remove your head from you. And I will give the dead bodies of the army of the Philistines this day to the birds of the sky and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, and that all this assembly may know that the Lord does not deliver by sword or by spear; for the battle is the Lord’s and He will give you into our hands.”

Based on this, we can infer that God must always be on the side of any country which has a military capability that is inferior to the United States.

As the below Scripture has demonstrated that God always fought on the side of Israel when they had defeated numerically superior armies.

Such military victories could only be described as 'miracles' due to the existence of divine intervention to make such victories possible.

In turn, such miracles are proof of Israel's holy covenant, or proof of the new covenant and the divine nature of Christ himself (Revelation 17:14 & 19:16, 20, 21):-

For how else should the underdog defeat a vastly superior army, unless God Himself is vastly superior to the latter?

Consequently, God is always on the side of the underdog in this particular example, and together, they are vastly superior to Satan, his demons and evil armies (Revelation 19:19).

Please discuss.

View attachment 299222
None of that demonstrates that the underdog is always in the right-or has God on their side. And don't all nations, large and small alike, possess and threaten to use "swords & spears" themselves?

Upvote 0

Bouan Philippe

Apr 27, 2021
Il de Paris
✟4,379.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
None of that demonstrates that the underdog is always in the right-or has God on their side. And don't all nations, large and small alike, possess and threaten to use "swords & spears" themselves?

Just as the miracles performed by Jesus doesn't necessarily prove he was the Son of God because there were many others who had also performed miracles during the 1st century Roman empire.

You are using a philosophical argument to effectively argue that the miracles of Jesus doesn't prove he was the Son of God, but such an argument would always have a higher standard of proof than its theological equivalent.

Theological arguments do not require such a high standard, as attested by the New Testament and the alleged conclusion of Jesus's miracles.

Consequently, any country that can defeat the US military may well claim to have God on their side, because the theological argument has a lower standard of proof than its philosophical equivalent.

Here, we are only concerned about the theological argument because we are primarily a Christian forum, whereupon the philosophical argument must be subsidiary and subordinate to its theological equivalent.

Lastly, there is no "right" or "wrong", but one's perception of right or wrong is nothing more than a social construct, but the right to create laws and to be the author of history must belong to the winners.

Therefore, might is right for our purposes and the winner is presumed to have God on their side, because the philosophical argument has no relevance to the traditional biblical exegesis.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Please discuss.

View attachment 299222
God will place His heavy foot upon the scale ... for those with whom He has relationship ... or for those who are being used in His service. But God can also use His heavy foot to chasten His own.

The record in scripture does not establish that God always takes the side of the underdog. Certainly, Israel was the underdog against the Babylonians, the Assyrians, the Romans, and so on. Israel didn't win any victories for 2,000 years before they were granted statehood in 1948.

Ultimately, God uses His vastly superior power ... to establish His will ... and to grant final victory over evil to those who have placed their hands in His.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Please discuss.

View attachment 299222
Hate to break it to you but they did not always win and were subject to the control of several nations. You missed a few books of the Bible when you were reading.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Assuming that "might is not right", then how did David best Goliath, unless God was on the side of the former to make such a miracle possible (as attested by the above Scripture)?

Ultimately, history is always written by the winner, however small he may seem; for in reality, the actual winner would always be God who is bigger than Goliath and bigger than any country, which includes the United States.

Except that it might be politically expedient (or correct) to make the Contrarian argument to the effect of saying that Satan (and the enemy) is allegedly greater than God.

God wasn't on the side of the mighty, but on the side of the tiny. David, not Goliath, won.

If God were on the side of the mighty, then God would have been on the "side" of the Philistines.

But that's not how God works. He doesn't side with the mighty and the powerful, but with the weak and the lowly.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums