May I come up & sit on the porch with you all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gracefullamb

Apr 2, 2006
✟17,278.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Howdy all! So I wanted to know, if I promise to bring chips & home made salsa may I come up, sit on the front porch, and pester you all with questions about your faith? I would really like to learn more about the Orthodox church.

I found this site a little while back, and I think it's about time to introduce myself. My name is Raeanne. I was raised Roman Catholic, and up until this past summer (2005) I would have never even considered looking into another church let alone leaving the RCC. Last summer I began to realize what I had perceived as small problems I had with the church, were in fact to great to be ignored any longer. That realization left me greatly saddened, but I continued to attend church completely devoid of any emotion for my church. Sometime in spring I woke up from a fitful sleep and dream with this nagging thought tugging away at the recesses of my mind & heart. That thought was I need to find out about the EOC. Funny thing about that I tried to brush the thought aside, except the thought wouldn't go away. In fact it just seemed to build up and become even more urgent. Since I can't seem to stick in the back of my mind & ignore it I think I better listen to that nagging thought instead.

I hope you all will allow me to stay for awhile, and won't get to tired of me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsarina
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
gracefullamb said:
Howdy all! So I wanted to know, if I promise to bring chips & home made salsa may I come up, sit on the front porch, and pester you all with questions about your faith? I would really like to learn more about the Orthodox church.

Chips and home made salsa...that's the ticket.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gracefullamb,

Looks like you and I are of like mind and that the nagging of the
Spirit will not leave us alone. I am a Protestant inquirer and I have been greatly welcomed. I am sure that these good people will extend to you the love of Christ, as they have done to me.

Welcome...do those chips come with guacamole? :)

Upvote 0
K

KATHXOYMENOC

Welcome. I came from a Protestant/Charismatic/Non-Denominational background of 25+ years and began exploring first the Roman Catholic Church and then the Orthodox Church. After many books, convert testimonies (in print and on the Internet), apologetics, watching EWTN, meeting some of the better-known Orthodox converts like Gillquist, Schaeffer and Carlton, and even meeting and talking with Christopher Hall and Dan Clendenin (Protestants, but very knowledgeable about Orthodoxy, as well as being published authors in that area), I am now a catechumen in the Orthodox Church, and have received much help from the TAW folks here - as well as found it to be a place where it's easy to spend way too much time!!!

Chips and Salsa. Ummmmmmm! Good!!

May your inquiries and the promptings of the Holy Spirit and your own heart bring you to where you are to be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
KATHXOUMENOC said:
Welcome. I came from a Protestant/Charismatic/Non-Denominational background of 25+ years and began exploring first the Roman Catholic Church and then the Orthodox Church. After many books, convert testimonies (in print and on the Internet), apologetics, watching EWTN, meeting some of the better-known Orthodox converts like Gillquist, Schaeffer and Carlton, and even meeting and talking with Christopher Hall and Dan Clendenin (Protestants, but very knowledgeable about Orthodoxy, as well as being published authors in that area), I am now a catechumen in the Orthodox Church, and have received much help from the TAW folks here - as well as found it to be a place where it's easy to spend way too much time!!!

Chips and Salsa. Ummmmmmm! Good!!

May your inquiries and the promptings of the Holy Spirit and your own heart bring you to where you are to be.

Yo Kath! I had no idea we have the same background. I was Protestant... charismatic evangelical, pentecostal (holiness...believed in the trinity) and was snoozing at a Nazarene Church when I had to make a change. I also watched EWTN and started looking at the RCC and then found the EOC after I had some issues with some things in the RCC that plagued me.

Welcome gracefullamb! Ask all of your questions. There is no question too silly to ask! (And likely none that I didn't need to ask when I started out either!)

Upvote 0

gracefullamb

Apr 2, 2006
✟17,278.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

DonVA, they're the extra large tortilla chips of course. Home made salsa can only be appreciated with large chips, not those itty bitty tiny scoop chips, that gives just a small taste! Oh, and I hope you like really hot salsa, because that is how I make it.:yum:

ClementofRome that feeling that I've been having; pushing me to learn about Orthodoxy, has made me quite restless of late. I kept ignoring it though, simply because the feeling really came out of no where. I've never thought about the Orthodox church before or any other church for that matter. Even though I've felt so unconnected with RCC, and come to realize there's quite a bit missing I've never thought of looking at any other church until this feeling started.

Yes I do have guacamole actually, just made it this evening for some friends that came over. If you take yours with lime though, you'll have to add that I refuse to ruin good guacamole with lime juice.:sick:

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I sent you a pm with the link to a great site that has locations of local Orthodox Churches. We list it frequently but I thought we might have a lurker who would want to look at it: http://orthodoxyinamerica.org

I hope you can visit a service soon. Call ahead and talk briefly with the Priest. I did that and he told me that coming on Saturday was best the first time plus he met with me an hour before the service to introduce me to the church and what the Vesper service is about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome!
I, too, was raised Catholic. I strayed from Christ as a teen, came back and like you, started feeling an urge to lean about Orthodoxy. I'm still a Catechuemen, but there's alot to learn and digest!

kamikat

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello and welcome gfl!
Of course you are welcome to come and ask questions, can we get some cold Coronas w/lime to go with the chips and salsa? It's hot here!
There are a number of former RCs here. K-kat, Michael the Iconographer and Inner Phyre to name a few. They are likely uniquely qualified to give you expert advice.
In Xp,
Eusebios
:bow:

Upvote 0

DonVA

May 20, 2006
Virginia
Visit site
✟10,207.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Eusebios said:
Hello and welcome gfl!
Of course you are welcome to come and ask questions, can we get some cold Coronas w/lime to go with the chips and salsa? It's hot here!
There are a number of former RCs here. K-kat, Michael the Iconographer and Inner Phyre to name a few. They are likely uniquely qualified to give you expert advice.
In Xp,
Eusebios
:bow:

The rest of us just want chips and salsa! ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.