Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am reworking my book on the Covenant of God and hope to republish it in the near future. Here is the forward to it:

FORWARD

In the pages which follow, I offer to Orthodox Christians material which I hope will be helpful in your evangelization effort if you should find yourself someday in conversation with person who holds deeply to Calvinism and Covenant Theology. Most likely, this will be a member of a conservative Presbyterian organization such as the PCA or OPC.

There are many as different methods of evangelization as there are people. What might well be used of the Holy Spirit to bring the Gospel home to the heart of one individual might well turn another one off. Indeed, conversion stories I have read are filled with different experiences of how people came to Christ in different manners, through different approaches, and using different means. I hope this book will provide for my Orthodox brothers and sisters another tool in their efforts to evangelize and share the fullness of the Christian faith, which is the Orthodox faith, the faith of the Early Church.

I have found that for most Christians, bringing the Covenant of God into a theological conversation results in raised eyebrows and a look of confusion. Only in the Presbyterian Church in America did I encounter people such as Scott Hahn, for whom the covenant and its principles eventually led to his conversion to the Roman Catholic faith. A few years later, my study of these principles, explained in Ray Sutton’s book, THAT YOU MAY PROSPER - Dominion by Covenant, led me to enter the Byzantine Catholic Church in April of 2001.

Unfortunately, at that time I misapplied one of the five working principles of a covenant relationship, one which Scott Hahn also missed. I think this came from my familiarity with the Western churches of Roman Catholicism and Protestantism and the manner in which they approach Christianity. Over the last several decades, a growing number of Evangelicals and Protestants have discovered the beauty and fullness of the ancient Orthodox faith.

In the Orthodox faith, a theologian is one who prays, and one who prays is a theologian. Theology is not approached in the same manner as it is in the West, as an exercise of mental acuity, clever dissertations on God, and intellectual exercises done in regard to Bible passages, often clouded by the prejudice and judgment of the one reading the text. It is instead, coming to know Christ/God through prayer, ascetic exercise, and the silence of the heart before God, or heyschasm. It is to experience God, not just to talk about the ideas your own mind or your own understanding of the Bible have formulated about Him.

I am newly chrismated into the Orthodox faith, and while Eastern Catholicism tries to be Orthodox, it is not at all the same. In entering the Orthodox Church, I made up my mind to sit down, shut up, listen, and learn. As such, I shouldn’t even be writing this book, but there is a problem I need to address. After my conversion from Protestantism, I wrote and published the initial draft of this book, with the goal of sharing with friends and others the covenant principles which had led me to enter into communion with the Roman Catholic Church through Eastern Catholicism. This book is available on the open market; therefore, it needs to be revised and republished in order correct the error I made in the discussing Sutton’s second principle of covenant – hierarchy.

Hierarchy is the principle of covenant headship. As you will see discussed later on, Christ is the New Adam, who is the human covenant head over the Church – not the Patriarch of Rome.
Nice! I am proofreading and editing all the time other writers' works, as well as my own. Just started reading over your lovely forward.

This sentence:

There are many as different methods of evangelization as there are people. -- I think it's supposed to read:

There are as many different methods of evangelization as there are people.

:)

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No response yet from my email to Archbishop Nathaniel. Which may well be because he has been in the midst of the Lenten and Paschal busyness.
Thank you for the update. This book at this point for me, is like another I waited for. I finally was able to get an e-book, when the book was published last year . But I kept going back checking the site for development.
It concerned nostra aetate and the Helsinki consultation. "orthodox were involved in this as well as Roman Catholic bishops along with others. Years of ecumenical dialogue. Producing papers of the progress of these consultations. After years of dialogue with Messianic Jew's, Father Levi finally produced a book. Exciting because my interest was specifically because the Orthodox, and Catholics were involved. Appreciate the update.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Nice! I am proofreading and editing all the time other writers' works, as well as my own. Just started reading over your lovely forward.

This sentence:

There are many as different methods of evangelization as there are people. -- I think it's supposed to read:

There are as many different methods of evangelization as there are people.

:)

The title is based on the premise of the book, which is that covenant is relationship and family, not legal contract, as the Calvinists describe it. The Dance of Isaiah, as you know, Father Matt (having, I assume, performed many Crowning Ceremonies, is part of the marriage covenant in the East.

View attachment 328727
Any news yet?

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
agreed, any updates?
Probably not or he would have probably updated. I just kinda wanted it higher up in the chain if nothing else. Do not want this to get so far behind it becomes difficult to find.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Probably not or he would have probably updated. I just kinda wanted it higher up in the chain if nothing else. Do not want this to get so far behind it becomes difficult to find.
gotcha

Upvote 0