North West
✟7,953.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi there, I'm a convert to Orthodox Christianity who relatively recently had something of a crisis of faith, where I felt like my faith in the Church was completely unravelling. Not my belief in God, but my faith in the claims that the Church makes about itself. For the most part this passed, though a slightly uncomfortable feeling has remained.

Today I happened to wonder whether a full Church Council would still be possible, or whether the lack of an Emperor to call it would preclude that. In my reading, I was quite shocked to discover that there is no actual definition for what constitutes an Ecumenical Council. There seem to be two opposing views, neither of which can be entirely correct given the facts of history. One is an authoritative, top-down approach, which is that the council is authoritative in and of itself due to the authority of the hierarchs. Buy this cannot be the case as we recognise that there have been so-called "Robber Councils." The alternative view is 'Receptionism' which is the idea that what makes a Council truly valid is its reception by the entire Church. But this cannot be true, as at Chalcedon, it was not received by the entire Church, hence the Schism. Some could argue that the the people who accepted it were the Church, and those who did not accept it put themselves outside of it. But that is circular reasoning, and goes against what happened with the so-called "Robber Councils" - they could have just said the same thing then, that those who disagreed put themselves outside the Church by doing so. The other problem with the Receptionist view is that early Councils clearly did not see themselves in that light. They did not wait for the whole Church to receive them before acting upon their decisions. The Receptionist view seems to have been developed fairly late as a way to explain the phenomenon of "Robber Councils," but when considered in the light of the statements and behaviour of the early Councils, and the Chalcedonian Schism, is simply doesn't make sense.

From what I can see, the only option remaining is simply that what happens is what is supposed to happen, because it happened. But thst undermines the idea that doctrine is correct based on its actual truth and internal consistency, and leaves it entirely to the playing out of events in history. It also leaves open the possibility that there could be some Council in the future that changes doctrine in a way that people today would consider unconscionable, and would say go completely against Tradition. Such as female Priests, or adding new books to the canon of Scripture, or scrapping the Liturgy, or something else of a similarly extreme nature.

Now, some might say that as the Holy Spirit guides the Church, and Christ promised that the gates of hell would not overcome it, that will not happen. OK, but that still doesn't explain what defines an Ecumenical Council, what makes it an Ecumenical Council, it can only define them as being such from a position of hindsight by the fact of that being what was handed down.

And then I realised that the doctrine of the Holy Spirit guiding the Church and Christ saying that the gates of hell will not overcome it completely undermines the Church's claims about the central importance of free will. If people have free will, then everyone could apostasise and there be no-one left for the Holy Spirit to work through. If people have free will, every Orthodox Christian on earth could decide to follow a different confession, or a different religion, or no religion at all. The claim that there is this absolute certainty about the future of the Church cannot be reconciled with free will. And yet so many of the arguments that the Church Fathers made about doctrine were based on the supposed truth of free will. The entire basis of the Church's doctrine on sin and repentance, on asceticism, on holiness and Sainthood, and the repudiation of things like astrology, rely on free will.

This stuff is all just so much more messy than I realised. I never had the chance to get into this stuff beforehand as I did not receive catechesis, and my Priest was very keen to baptise me. I was Baptised after four months of attending Liturgy, and that was because I made my Priest wait for an extra month, or it would have been three months.

It's really difficult because on the one hand, I'm glad I didn't wait and have more thorough teaching cos if I did I might not have been Baptised, and I really do love the Church, but on the other hand I'm struggling with the thought that to continue I will have to switch my brain off and force myself to accept things that just don't make sense. I have no problem with miracles and the Resurrection, things like that, I don't mean that, what I mean is the internal consistency on what the Church claims about the Church. This issue of what exactly makes an Ecumenical Council and Ecumenical Council doesn't seem to have an answer. Every potential answer seems to have a flaw in it. Can anyone explain this in a way that makes sense and is consistent?

Thank you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
what makes it ecumenical is if it’s accepted by the whole Church, and it preserves the faith. in other words, it’s accepted by the past as well. (from your example) since Chalcedon IS in conjunction with the past, those who rejected it left the Church.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chesterton
Joe R
Joe R
But the non-Chals were not proclaiming anything new. They were simply wishing to continue the Cyrlline understand laid down at Ephesus.
Upvote 0
Joe R
Joe R
Your argument is circular. If it is accepted by the whole Church, then it is Ecumenical - but it WASN'T recognised by the whole Church - hence the Schism. To say that they left Church by not recognising it, and therefore the whole Church recognises it, is post-hoc.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,105.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was trying to reply to specific points in your post, but the new software's not letting me edit your post to quote you. So I'll say:

1) Praise God for your conversion, and welcome to TAW. :hug:

2) I pondered similar type questions in the past. Eventually I realized that because something happened in the past does not preclude the fact that it is true. If you, like me, have come to place trust in God and His Church, it would be untenable if it were otherwise, right? :)

3) None of us can predict the future, but I'd be willing to bet you $20 that there will be no women priests or mass apostasy or anything like that. But if there is, remember that the Old Testament frequently mentions the idea of a "remnant". The Jews as a people screwed up left and right, but there was always a remnant who held fast. It's the job of you and I, who have received the truth, to make sure that we remain of the remnant.

Joe R
Joe R
Thank you for your response. That is somewhat helpful. But it still doesn't solve the issue of free will. If there is free will then Christ could not have made His promise. Because if absolutely everyone apostasised, how would He keep it other than by overriding free will? Saying that he knew the future doesn't help. Because if the future of what humans will do is fixed, there is no free will.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,105.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Christ still could have made His promise. I've even debated with open-minded atheists who recognize that, just because God knows the future, it doesn't mean the future wasn't freely chosen.

Joe R
Joe R
I'm struggling to understand that. If the future is known, it is set, which means you can't choose to change it, which means no free will.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the non-Chalcedonians do not adhere to the Cyrillian formula, since St Cyril used the same language they condemned at Chalcedon.

and my argument isn’t circular. to condemn something the Church has affirmed and to leave the Church, is to leave the Church.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the non-Chalcedonians do not adhere to the Cyrillian formula, since St Cyril used the same language they condemned at Chalcedon.

and my argument isn’t circular. to condemn something the Church has affirmed and to leave the Church, is to leave the Church.
I'm no expert on Chalcedon, but if I'm not mistaken, we were still one Church for a while afterwards, no?

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm no expert on Chalcedon, but if I'm not mistaken, we were still one Church for a while afterwards, no?
yes, it took a bit for them to leave and they were willing to accept Chalcedon (especially after the henotikon of Justin II and the 5th Council), but on other heretical conditions that we could not agree with.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Joe R

Feb 20, 2023
North West
✟7,953.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Orientals deny that they ever held to Monothelitism, but that only individuals did, and from what I understand both monothelitism and monoenergism were held to by various Bishops from both the Orthodox (including the West) and Oriental side but ended up being held to by neither institutionally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Orientals deny that they ever held to Monothelitism, but that only individuals did, and from what I understand both monothelitism and monoenergism were held to by various Bishops from both the Orthodox (including the West) and Oriental side but ended up being held to by neither institutionally.
some do, but there are modern non-Chalcedonians who do, and have written apologetic stuff against guys like Sts Maximos and Gregory Palamas.

and Severus is mentioned IN their services, so they did institutionalize the heresy.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An Ecumenical Council is a very distinct mechanism. Even the Council of Antioch in Acts 15, despite all the Apostles being there (including St Peter, because usually crises of faith surrounding Orthodox ecclesiology come from imbibing with ahistorical post-enlightenment Papist ideology), the council was not ecumenical.

In short, Session 6 of Nicea 2 specifics that a council received by all the Patriarchates, including Rome's, is ecumenical. So Rome is non-negotiable for the formula, but so is Alexandria or Jerusalem for that matter. There or other minute details, which I recommend people read this: The Roles For Rome and the Rest of the Pentarchy in Ecumenical Councils

The Orthodox have continued to have binding councils which are not ecumenical, but Pan-Orthodox. This includes the Palamite Councils, the Council of Jasy 1642, the Council of Jerusalem 1672, and Constantinople 1848. We have also had Pan-Orthodox depositions of Patriarchs, such as Moscow 1666 and Constantinople 2005 (I believe, the one who deposed the previous Patriarch of Jerusalem). Sofia (1998) was Pan Orthodox and it literally determined who the correct church of Bulgaria was.

A lot of this is covered here:

People don't know a lot of post-schism eastern history, so they simply assume that the Church simply stopped operating in this time, which is simply not the case.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There were several unions with both the Non Chalcedonians and Nestorians during Heraclius' reign. Monoenergism is found directly in the writings of Non Chalcedonians, even our own texts (like Vigilius in Constantinople II, and Saint Menas immediately preceding the council). It is interesting that Constantinople III claims that the passage of Menas was a forgery concocted by Macarius of Antioch, but this has to be a made up story. The Latin, which good text criticism locates to the 6th century, includes the Monoenergist passages in Vigilius and when St Maximus was posed the Menas passage 25 years before Constantinople III he spoke off the cuff that Menas wrote the passage "after" the council because he was a heretic (Menas is both a saint and died *before* the council). The reality is the term "one energy" and I presume "one will" sometimes exists in what I presume are legitimate contexts (i.e. the Holy Trinity has one energy, not Christ's human and divine essences). There is simply not enough translated I think for us shooting the breeze in English to really know.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In short, Session 6 of Nicea 2 specifics that a council received by all the Patriarchates, including Rome's, is ecumenical. So Rome is non-negotiable for the formula, but so is Alexandria or Jerusalem for that matter.
that was back when Rome was in the Church. since they are not in the Church anymore, their say isn’t needed. we absolutely could hold an ecumenical council without them.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that was back when Rome was in the Church. since they are not in the Church anymore, their say isn’t needed. we absolutely could hold an ecumenical council without them.
Nope, this would contravene the definition of an ecumenical council. Again, an ecumenical council has a very specific definition. There are things that are binding in the Orthodox CHurch which are not ecumenical councils...for example, the Photian Nomocanon, which effectively is the Council of Constantinople 920.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nope, this would contravene the definition of an ecumenical council. Again, an ecumenical council has a very specific definition. There are things that are binding in the Orthodox CHurch which are not ecumenical councils...for example, the Photian Nomocanon, which effectively is the Council of Constantinople 920.
how would that contravene the definition of an Ecumenical Council?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
and this is me seriously trying to follow your reasoning, not me being a pain. there are reasons why I am asking and why I don’t think history supports your reading of Nicaea in this regard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and this is me seriously trying to follow your reasoning, not me being a pain. there are reasons why I am asking and why I don’t think history supports your reading of Nicaea in this regard.
It's not my "reading" of history--the following is the only ecumenically approved definition of an EC:

It [the Council of Hiera] did not enjoy the cooperation [lit. ουνέργεια] of the then Pope of Rome or his priests, neither by means of his representatives or an encyclical letter, as is the rule for councils; nor did it win the assent [lit. ουμφρονοῦντας] of the patriarchs of the east, of Alexandria, Antioch, and the holy city, or of their priests and bishops…Nor did ‘their voice’, like that of the apostles, ‘go out into the whole earth or their words to the ends of the world’, as did those of the six holy ecumenical councils. (Price, Nicea 2, p. 442)

If we have universally received canons (the Photian Nomocanon) from Constantinople 920, but no one calls this an ecumenical council, this reveals that the above definition has proved out to be correct.

I will reiterate, not everything is an ecumenical council, it is a particular thing, but an ecumenical council is not the only mechanism of binding dogma or canons in the Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's not my "reading" of history--the following is the only ecumenically approved definition of an EC:

It [the Council of Hiera] did not enjoy the cooperation [lit. ουνέργεια] of the then Pope of Rome or his priests, neither by means of his representatives or an encyclical letter, as is the rule for councils; nor did it win the assent [lit. ουμφρονοῦντας] of the patriarchs of the east, of Alexandria, Antioch, and the holy city, or of their priests and bishops…Nor did ‘their voice’, like that of the apostles, ‘go out into the whole earth or their words to the ends of the world’, as did those of the six holy ecumenical councils. (Price, Nicea 2, p. 442)

If we have universally received canons (the Photian Nomocanon) from Constantinople 920, but no one calls this an ecumenical council, this reveals that the above definition has proved out to be correct.

I will reiterate, not everything is an ecumenical council, it is a particular thing, but an ecumenical council is not the only mechanism of binding dogma or canons in the Orthodox Church.

so, how do you deal with Chalcedon? because canonical bishops, to include canonical patriarchs of Alexandria, Antioch, and Jerusalem would reject it or accept it depending on who was enthroned. did it go from being ecumenical to not ecumenical until the schism?

how do you deal with our Constantinople IV, which everyone accepted and was called the 8th Ecumenical Council by East and West for over a century before Rome changed her mind?

plus, the example you gave was from when Rome was in the Church. nowhere does your quote say anything if a See departs the Church.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,105.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
@Joe R

Joe R said: "I'm struggling to understand that. If the future is known, it is set, which means you can't choose to change it, which means no free will."

If the future is known, it just means that what we chose in the past is now set. It's like watching a movie. When the good guy shoots the bad guy, he's freely chosen to do it. If you rewind the movie, you know the good guy will shoot the bad in the future, but that in no way changes that fact that he freely chose to do it.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0