Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Black Americans have several centuries of discrimination to point to and say 'we've been through it'. White Americans don't.
Ringo

I guess that's a good reason to start discriminating against whites then. If it doesn't go on for several centuries, then it's acceptable to allow it to continue. After all, SOCIAL JUSTICE! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess that's a good reason to start discriminating against whites then. If it doesn't go on for several centuries, then it's acceptable to allow it to continue. After all, SOCIAL JUSTICE! :rolleyes:

Which is exactly what I said in my post, of course...especially since I myself am a white American.
Ringo

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Wasn't aware that anyone in America was several centuries old.
Read what was written, they have several centuries of discrimination to point to. That the United States did not declare independence until 1776 does not erase the discrimination experienced beforehand.

All that's required to understand that some cultures are worse than other cultures is not being an idiot.

It's pretty easy to look at their practices and determine that, for instance, the Aztec culture was a pretty horrible one. (Their neighbors certainly thought so).

Though if you really did want to say that all cultures are equally worthwhile, you'd have no right to criticize the racism that you personally see everywhere in today's world. It'd just be part of the dominant culture, after all.
The arguments used to attack African Americans has been the same since the 1870s. The terminology has certainly changed over time, but the arguments are the same. And when someone says they subscribe to the beliefs based on articles linking to a self-avowed racist and anti-Semite, I'm not going to pretend their use of terminology is not simply putting lipstick on a pig.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The arguments used to attack African Americans has been the same since the 1870s. The terminology has certainly changed over time, but the arguments are the same. And when someone says they subscribe to the beliefs based on articles linking to a self-avowed racist and anti-Semite, I'm not going to pretend their use of terminology is not simply putting lipstick on a pig.

It's amazing how you seem incapable of addressing any argument without accusing someone of racism.

All this post says is that some cultures are superior to others, in that some cultures definitely endorse heinous acts. In the case of the Aztecs it was human sacrifice, which caused them to raid their neighbors to have a steady supply of victims. Of course, our culture has its own defects, one among many being the celebration of mass infanticide, another being the nearly complete destruction of the rational tradition.

As I said, all it takes is not being an idiot to see that some cultures are better in their actions than others. You even endorse this viewpoint implicitly, because you'd say that American culture is bad because of its racism.

But for some reason even with such a basic observation as the one that I made, you feel compelled to throw about accusations of racism, and now bizarrely also anti-Semitism. I can't imagine how limited this must make your daily discussions. What a sad and small world you live in.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
It's amazing how you seem incapable of addressing any argument without accusing someone of racism.

All this post says is that some cultures are superior to others, in that some cultures definitely endorse heinous acts. In the case of the Aztecs it was human sacrifice, which caused them to raid their neighbors to have a steady supply of victims. Of course, our culture has its own defects, one among many being the celebration of mass infanticide, another being the nearly complete destruction of the rational tradition.

As I said, all it takes is not being an idiot to see that some cultures are better in their actions than others. You even endorse this viewpoint implicitly, because you'd say that American culture is bad because of its racism.

But for some reason even with such a basic observation as the one that I made, you feel compelled to throw about accusations of racism, and now bizarrely also anti-Semitism. I can't imagine how limited this must make your daily discussions. What a sad and small world you live in.
I'm not talking about you, I am referring to the poster arguing he is a "culturalist" and then proceeds to say Black American culture is the worst. He expounds that he sees some cultures as superior, lamenting multicultural societies. And when the same person links to racists like Fred Reed, I'm not going to fall into pseudo-conversations about whether we're only talking about culture when it's clear Black Americans are attacked in the same way they have for over a century, but now the word "culture" is used to avoid what it really is, racism.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So if it is legal to discriminate against whites then it is actually not discrimination at all!

Or perhaps it is the tip of the iceberg of the worst sort of discrimination.

Insane logic, isn't it?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not talking about you, I am referring to the poster arguing he is a "culturalist" and then proceeds to say Black American culture is the worst. He expounds that he sees some cultures as superior, lamenting multicultural societies. And when the same person links to racists like Fred Reed, I'm not going to fall into pseudo-conversations about whether we're only talking about culture when it's clear Black Americans are attacked in the same way they have for over a century, but now the word "culture" is used to avoid what it really is, racism.

I wonder just what Black American Culture is. I checked and that was the term he used. And I find the idea that there is one nice monolithic Black American Culture to be the core of racism. I think back to the people I met who were members of a small Pentecostal Church after the rodney Kink riots and try to think of what they culturally have in common with real gang member culture and I find little. So I ask which one is Black American Culture? I want to try to figure out if I like it or hate it.

Or perhaps not all American Blacks are part of the same culture or even worse perhaps even those within common culture might have significant differences.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is the part that stood out to me the most from the article:

Notable, however, is that while a majority of whites in the poll say discrimination against them exists, a much smaller percentage say that they have actually experienced it.

I took a course last quarter that explored changing notions of truth, and how in this era of "alternative facts" perceptions, feelings, and beliefs are increasingly supplanting data and other evidence in decision-making and politics.

This is a related article that might be of interest to some:
Analysis | White Trump voters think they face more discrimination than blacks. The Trump administration is listening.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Barney

Oct 27, 2017
midwest
✟17,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Black Americans have several centuries of discrimination to point to and say 'we've been through it'. White Americans don't.
Ringo

White Americans experience prejudice and discrimination today. Black Americans don't. Imagined offenses don't count.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
White Americans experience prejudice and discrimination today. Black Americans don't. Imagined offenses don't count.

That sound is my irony meter exploding.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Barney

Oct 27, 2017
midwest
✟17,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Left has little but racism (and other bigotries), so they project it onto others. Many on the left just label things and believe they've made an argument.

As I said, all it takes is not being an idiot to see that some cultures are better in their actions than others.

Yes, everyone knows the better culture, that's why immigrants overwhelmingly flow one direction. (Unfortunately, immigrants try to bring their culture with them, in spite of trying to get away from their own culture.)

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The Left has little but racism (and other bigotries), so they project it onto others. Many on the left just label things and believe they've made an argument.
You mean like what you are doing here.

• Winner
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Barney

Oct 27, 2017
midwest
✟17,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You mean like what you are doing here.

As already posted, every call for "diversity" is a call to discriminant against whites. Affirmative Action programs are the practice of discrimination against whites. Discrimination against whites is real and widespread. A concrete example is the admissions policies of top universities and the SAT scores by race of their students. I don't attempt to refute the Left by labeling them racists, although they are. I refute them by explaining why they're wrong.

The left has produced no evidence of real discrimination against blacks. They just assume discrimination. When someone points to all the white presidents vs. the one black president, they're assuming that this shows modern discrimination. It doesn't (it doesn't even show past discrimination, for how many blacks in the past, vs. whites, were qualified to be president). They can't point to any polices of racial discrimination against blacks. They can't point to anyone calling for discriminating against blacks. They can't point to any statistics showing discrimination against blacks, except for statistics shamelessly apart of context and reason.

Upvote 0

Barney

Oct 27, 2017
midwest
✟17,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For what? The existence of affirmative action?

If you mean specifically, say, college admissions, I'll go find the info.

You don't need to do that. Anyone can google it and get that information in seconds, if they're really interested. And, when you get that information, they won't change their position. They're putting you to trouble for something they don't care about.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
As already posted, every call for "diversity" is a call to discriminant against whites. Affirmative Action programs are the practice of discrimination against whites. Discrimination against whites is real and widespread. A concrete example is the admissions policies of top universities and the SAT scores by race of their students. I don't attempt to refute the Left by labeling them racists, although they are. I refute them by explaining why they're wrong.

The left has produced no evidence of real discrimination against blacks. They just assume discrimination. When someone points to all the white presidents vs. the one black president, they're assuming that this shows modern discrimination. It doesn't (it doesn't even show past discrimination, for how many blacks in the past, vs. whites, were qualified to be president). They can't point to any polices of racial discrimination against blacks. They can't point to anyone calling for discriminating against blacks. They can't point to any statistics showing discrimination against blacks, except for statistics shamelessly apart of context and reason.

What evidence would you accept? Laws prohibiting blacks from using public parks? Separate (and quite unequal) drinking fountains? No negroes need apply? The absence of black players in major league baseball until 1947? Heck until 1950 NBA could have meant No Blacks Allowed.

Just because the most egregious forms of discrimination against blacks have finally been addressed does not mean it all has vanished. Oh and some of the laws actually are still on the books.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Barney

Oct 27, 2017
midwest
✟17,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What evidence would you accept? Laws prohibiting blacks from using public parks? Separate (and quite unequal) drinking fountains? No negroes need apply? The absence of black players in major league baseball until 1947? Heck until 1950 NBA could have meant No Blacks Allowed.

Just because the most egregious forms of discrimination against blacks have finally been addressed does not mean it all has vanished. Oh and some of the laws actually are still on the books.
Whites haven't been banned from African-American-only water fountains for a long time.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ringo

Name one single black American who can say they have been discriminated against for several centuries.

Upvote 0