Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Name one single black American who can say they have been discriminated against for several centuries.

FYI: That's a really stupid point you're trying to make, and it makes everybody else thing you're being disingenuous.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm a 66 year old white, male, heterosexual, Southern-born American of European ancestry. I can say with complete honesty that never in my life, have I felt discriminated against in education, employment, housing, etc., because of my race, ethnicity, or other personal characteristic. From my perspective, the idea is preposterous.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am referring to the fact that having a "black-sounding" name results in fewer callbacks for employment despite the same credentials. If it were a meritocracy, the name would not affect employment opportunity.
So, why not have a "blind" application with no name or race provided . . . and no age?

I personally would not want to work for someone who is a bigot. Even so, in a big company, the screener might be a bigot I would never have to deal with, and the boss and workers could be really loving people, for all I know.

I'm not convinced that white americans have it even close to worst.

The thing is, though, that one only really sees the discrimination that they themselves and their close friends experience, so perception of discrimination is skewed.
And don't any of us have some tendency to discriminate in favor of our own selves?

If the majority were blacks or Hispanics or Asians, and the whites had the slavery history and other minority factors . . . would humans be doing things any differently? In Africa we see very deadly and cruel discrimination, including ethnic cleansing, of blacks against blacks. Plus, there are blacks and whites who can be horrible about beauty discrimination, picking and choosing who is popular and lovable mainly because of what someone looks like.

So, there is such equality, of capability of discrimination, which ones do not bring to our attention. As much as any of us do not know how to love, any of us can discriminate, in one way or another; and changing policies is not going to change our hearts.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So, why not have a "blind" application with no name or race provided . . . and no age?

When orchestras started using blind (and barefoot) auditions, the representation of women in orchestras went way up.

Nobody ever puts their age on a resume, but even so, it's tough to hide. It doesn't take much to look at a work history and get a ballpark idea of how old someone is. For example, if they were working on the Y2K fix, they're at least 40.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
FYI: That's a really stupid point you're trying to make, and it makes everybody else thing you're being disingenuous.

The trouble is that if you want to say that someone has experienced "centuries of discrimination" through his ancestors, there are people who have experienced far worse than what American blacks did. Arguably the native peoples of America. Certainly the Armenians under the Turks. Or if we want to go way, way, back the Helots suffered under the Spartans about as bad as any people ever has.

And that's just racial discrimination. If we throw religious persecution into our discussion as well, I'd be surprised if there isn't anyone who, through their ancestors, hasn't experienced centuries of discrimination. And the horrors of many of these persecutions are difficult to imagine, indeed I'd probably be banned for violation of the vulgarity rule if I just described a handful of the worst examples of tortures placed on faithful Catholics alone.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Actually, any black person who thinks they are owed something today based on the idea that black people who lived centuries ago suffered discrimination is disingenuous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The trouble is that if you want to say that someone has experienced "centuries of discrimination" through his ancestors, there are people who have experienced far worse than what American blacks did. Arguably the native peoples of America. Certainly the Armenians under the Turks. Or if we want to go way, way, back the Helots suffered under the Spartans about as bad as any people ever has.

And that's just racial discrimination. If we throw religious persecution into our discussion as well, I'd be surprised if there isn't anyone who, through their ancestors, hasn't experienced centuries of discrimination. And the horrors of many of these persecutions are difficult to imagine, indeed I'd probably be banned for violation of the vulgarity rule if I just described a handful of the worst examples of tortures placed on faithful Catholics alone.

Yeah, except not all of those examples are recent and not all of them are ongoing. The argument was not that blacks experienced a few centuries worth of discrimination at some point in their history - the argument was that blacks have experienced discrimination for the last few, most recent centuries. There's a big difference between living under a long-running system of oppression, and having lived under one but come out of it several hundred years ago.

That's not to say that none of those examples are current - I don't personally know enough about the current plight of native americans to have much of an opinion one way or another, but I know that much of their subjugation occurred along side that of African Americans and I don't think you'd find many people sympathetic to the plight of blacks who wouldn't also say that natives got a raw deal, too.

So, I don't know why any of this would be "trouble". Whites have never been subject to the sort of systematic race-based abuse and discrimination in this country the way minority groups have. The fact that blacks don't have a monopoly on victimization doesn't mean they weren't/aren't victims.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

Where is that poster to crow about the "not as bad as" fallacy? Shouldn't you be complaining about the white people in this thread rather than focus on African Americans?

And let's not pretend that you need to directly experience racial discrimination to be affected by racial discrimination. If you take away people's ability to gain and pass on their wealth, you affect future generations, as was the case of the Greenwood neighborhood in Tulsa, OK (Black Wall Street).

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, any black person who thinks they are owed something today based on the idea that black people who lived centuries ago suffered discrimination is disingenuous.

If discrimination against blacks ended with the confederacy, then maybe you'd have a point. But it didn't. A wide variety of discriminatory practices were outlawed less than 60 years ago. My parents were in high school when the Fair Housing Act was passed. And as we all know, banning something doesn't immediately make it go away.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

You make a good point here (as usual!). Any Christian living today could say that they're owed the ability to get favorable treatment based on the fact of 2 centuries of persecution of the Christian church. I wonder what Rome should give us in reparation for what they did to Christians 2,000 years ago. What would be considered "social justice"?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If discrimination against blacks ended with the confederacy, then maybe you'd have a point. But it didn't. A wide variety of discriminatory practices were outlawed less than 60 years ago. My parents were in high school when the Fair Housing Act was passed. And as we all know, banning something doesn't immediately make it go away.

Neither does twice electing a black president, apparently. In the minds of some, nothing will ever be good enough.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Where is that poster to crow about the "not as bad as" fallacy? Shouldn't you be complaining about the white people in this thread rather than focus on African Americans?

And let's not pretend that you need to directly experience racial discrimination to be affected by racial discrimination. If you take away people's ability to gain and pass on their wealth, you affect future generations, as was the case of the Greenwood neighborhood in Tulsa, OK (Black Wall Street).

The year was 1921. Almost a hundred years ago. What is it a justification for in the context of this thread?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Neither does twice electing a black president, apparently. In the minds of some, nothing will ever be good enough.

I know, right? I went to the gym and ate a salad last week, but now my doctor wants me to do that again. I took out the trash and did the dishes last week, but now my wife wants me to do them again, AND she wants me to make the bed AND vacuum. It's never good enough!

Yours is the kind of excuse used by a person who's lazy, has exceptionally low standards, or just doesn't want to address the problem. No, electing a black man to the presidency isn't sufficient. Why would you think that would be enough to solve the problem of discrimination against an entire race of people?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I know, right? I went to the gym and ate a salad last week, but now my doctor wants me to do that again. I took out the trash and did the dishes last week, but now my wife wants me to do them again, AND she wants me to make the bed AND vacuum. It's never good enough!

Yours is the kind of excuse used by a person who's lazy, has exceptionally low standards, or just doesn't want to address the problem. No, electing a black man to the presidency isn't sufficient. Why would you think that would be enough to solve the problem of discrimination against an entire race of people?

At least I'm not comparing black people to going to the gym, eating a salad and taking out trash. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
At least I'm not comparing black people to going to the gym, eating a salad and taking out trash. :rolleyes:

You're right, you're not. That was an attempt at humor to show how ridiculous your position is. What you're doing is far more insidious. You're trying to ignore the ~150 years of discrimination since the civil war and pretend that one guy getting one job somehow invalidates the negative outcomes experienced by the millions of people impacted by that discrimination.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0