Liberals attack doughnut shop's good deed -- What is wrong with them?

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's Law, not Gospel. We apply the Law mostly to people that do not believe the Gospel, but also to some extent to show us our sinfulness so that the Gospel is contextualized. However, the Law does not necessarily indicate a guide to the Christian life. We tend to emphasize the guide to the Christian life is in found in Jesus' gracious example, which is made present to us through the sacraments in a real way. So, our sense of ethics is shaped heavily by our sacramental orientation to the Christian faith (similar to Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy). You cannot fully understand being Lutheran without, on some level, experiencing that.

I was skeptical at first too, also. How can you be a real Christian , without legalism or moralism? I don't know, that's the miracle of grace when it is present in a community through the power of the Word.

I mean obviously, if we take Paul literally, he is wrong. Adulterers can go to heaven, else nobody who is divorced would go to heaven. And plenty of people have been greedy (who hasn't been?) or taken things in their life that don't belong to them (in more ways that simply stealing an physical object), and yet their lives are not characterized by their sins, but by God's grace. So we acknowledge the Christian life is also a matter of growth and God is not finished working on us in our present state. And that's true of the gay or lesbian person that trusts in Jesus, too. We have no problem telling them, your sins are forgiven, because we have that promise from Jesus that whoever believes in him will have eternal life.

Thank you.
Outstanding insight.
Not much of that around here.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Homosexuality does seem to be many Christians' pet sin. It makes me wonder why these Christians are so focused on this 'sin' but are flippant about other sins, like adultery, lust or lying.
On the surface and propagandized sure.

However, it is a matter of sin that is sanctified. Why homosexuality is so prevalent in the Christian dialogue is due to some claiming such is not sin. Whereas you don't see an effort in any churches that I know of writing off divorce, drunkenness, lying and general fornication as things to be celebrated.

That's the distinction many don't "get."

The same with claims said churches don't focus on the "widows, poor, orphans " etc. Those who make those claims I gather don't attend a church on a regular basis. As every church and collaborative community church ministries I've been a partner with do these things on a regular basis from the heart.

• Winner
Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
On the surface and propagandized sure.

However, it is a matter of sin that is sanctified. Why homosexuality is so prevalent in the Christian dialogue is due to some claiming such is not sin. Whereas you don't see an effort in any churches that I know of writing off divorce, drunkenness, lying and general fornication as things to be celebrated.
But we do see CHurches and Christians "writing off" having tattoos, wearing wedding rings, setting up Christmas trees and a whole lot of other sins

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
But we do see CHurches and Christians "writing off" having tattoos, wearing wedding rings, setting up Christmas trees and a whole lot of other sins

You mean like Paul and the early church did?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Rebel, evangelicals confuse acceptance with affirmation of behavior. Mainline churches accept people without necessarily having to affirm all their behaviors. You see sanctification of sin, we just see hospitality.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
by Bruce Bawer in “Stealing Jesus” --- Why, after all, do --- should --- we become Christians? Because we think God is going to love us more than he loves non-Christians, and will give us a ticket to eternity that he denies to them? Because we think he'll give us everything we want and solve our problems exactly the way we want him to? No. We become Christians because we can't help becoming Christians --- because we've fallen helplessly in love with what Jesus is about. We become Christians knowing that God loves non-Christians every bit as much as he loves us and knowing that in our baptismal covenant we promise to seek and serve Christ in all persons and to respect the dignity of every human being. We become Christians knowing that some of the most Christlike people in our society are atheists and that some people who do call themselves Christians have made the term a synonym for horrible things. We become Christians knowing what a lie it is to suggest that any of us is a model of Christian love. We become Christians knowing that even if we're sinful, God will love and forgive us --- but precisely because we do know that, we struggle not to be sinful. And we struggle, and struggle, and struggle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
by Bruce Bawer in “Stealing Jesus” --- Why, after all, do --- should --- we become Christians? Because we think God is going to love us more than he loves non-Christians, and will give us a ticket to eternity that he denies to them? Because we think he'll give us everything we want and solve our problems exactly the way we want him to? No. We become Christians because we can't help becoming Christians --- because we've fallen helplessly in love with what Jesus is about. We become Christians knowing that God loves non-Christians every bit as much as he loves us and knowing that in our baptismal covenant we promise to seek and serve Christ in all persons and to respect the dignity of every human being. We become Christians knowing that some of the most Christlike people in our society are atheists and that some people who do call themselves Christians have made the term a synonym for horrible things. We become Christians knowing what a lie it is to suggest that any of us is a model of Christian love. We become Christians knowing that even if we're sinful, God will love and forgive us --- but precisely because we do know that, we struggle not to be sinful. And we struggle, and struggle, and struggle.
What does this have to do with donuts?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God seems to be pretty pro-human. Ever heard of Jesus?

-CryptoLutheran

Have I ever heard of Jesus? of course, what a vague comment. What exactly are we supposed to get from that?

Have you ever heard Gods word say homosexuality is an abomination? Have you ever heard Gods word say those that practice it are Hell bound? I'll be happy to prove that if you have not..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't have to. God is on my side.
I think one ought to say they are on God's side. Saying He is on my side implies that one has made the decision to take a particular side and God has simply fallen in line.

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I love this typical sensationalized Fox-style reporting.

"Liberals attack Donut shop"
Read a few lines in...
" an online mob stormed their Facebook page."

...which apparently Fox considered "liberals attacking the shop"

Yeah, hardly an "attack"

A more accurate headline would've been
"Few Dozen people post critical comments on Donut Shop's Facebook page about them associating with a group that has some anti-LGBT positions"

...but I guess that doesn't stir up the "There's a War on Christianity! Help Help, we're being repressed" crowd as well.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Do you really see me playing games or did that just sound good at the time? Maybe you could point them out, instead of just making empty claims?
Claiming others are playing games in multiple posts is itself a game

Upvote 0