Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone give me (experience or scripturally supported) help in this touchy subject. We've been members of a church for about 5 years. It's a non-denom that had a slight charismatic bent when we first attended. The church made the switch to the Purpose Driven model a few years ago and thus has grown exponentially.

Our Old Church

The Good

The kids ministry is a very lively, hands on, stimulating and scripturally sound place. I've been a shepherd there (2-3 y.o .boys) and before that working the soundboard, so I have seen it first hand.

Worship - the band is good and passionate

Ministries - There are a lot of small groups and ministries , as well as charity work for local charities

The Bad

Seeker focused Sundays - The sunday message is very 'milky' and the body is very unmotivated in their worship. It was requested that the spiritual gifts not be displayed on sundays. (See Wednesday service)

Low Body participation - The people doing all the work in the various helps and ministries are the same people that were doing it 6 years ago, the lion's share of the body doesn't do anything beyond attend sunday service.

Wednesday Services - Used to be great. Had a lengthy time of deeper worship and praise, the spiritual gifts were permitted to be displayed, guest speakers, teachers and a meaty sermon the norm. Now it's a canned Beth Moore or similar DVD lesson and no worship time.

One Pastor - Our pastor has forced out or let every other pastor in the church go. There's no teaching pastor or anyone else to share in building the flock or discipiling them.

Possible New Church

The Good

Spiritual Meat - Diving into the Hebrew perspective, the pastor's sermons are not simple "5 quick ways to a happy marriage" or the like. Studies of the books of the bible one might avoid (Leviticus, etc).

The Bad (?)

REALLY SMALL - 20-30 members in the congregation. Is this a bad thing? I don't know.

No Frills Kids Ministry - Since their are like 7 kids, it's pretty much just sit around a table and talk. Good or bad? Dunno.

We are not fleeing heresy, or false teaching. We're just sorta bored. Our old church really wants the more experienced body to find their deeper teaching through small groups, house church, etc. but we simply do not have the time (kids, both work, lots of overtime, etc). I'm torn mainly due to the quality of the kids church, not the fact that I work in that ministry, as God can always get a replacement for me, so it's not a pride issue. We have an 8 y.o and a 3 y.o.

Is it ok to leave a church because you want a deeper message?

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone give me (experience or scripturally supported) help in this touchy subject. We've been members of a church for about 5 years. It's a non-denom that had a slight charismatic bent when we first attended. The church made the switch to the Purpose Driven model a few years ago and thus has grown exponentially.

Our Old Church

The Good

The kids ministry is a very lively, hands on, stimulating and scripturally sound place. I've been a shepherd there (2-3 y.o .boys) and before that working the soundboard, so I have seen it first hand.

Ministries - There are a lot of small groups and ministries , as well as charity work for local charities

The Bad

Seeker focused Sundays - The sunday message is very 'milky' and the body is very unmotivated in their worship. It was requested that the spiritual gifts not be displayed on sundays. (See Wednesday service)

Low Body participation - The people doing all the work in the various helps and ministries are the same people that were doing it 6 years ago, the lion's share of the body doesn't do anything beyond attend sunday service.

Wednesday Services - Used to be great. Had a lengthy time of deeper worship and praise, the spiritual gifts were permitted to be displayed, guest speakers, teachers and a meaty sermon the norm. Now it's a canned Beth Moore or similar DVD lesson and no worship time.

One Pastor - Our pastor has forced out or let every other pastor in the church go. There's no teaching pastor or anyone else to share in building the flock or discipiling them.

Possible New Church

The Good

Spiritual Meat - Diving into the Hebrew perspective, the pastor's sermons are not simple "5 quick ways to a happy marriage" or the like. Studies of the books of the bible one might avoid (Leviticus, etc).

The Bad (?)

REALLY SMALL - 20-30 members in the congregation. Is this a bad thing? I don't know.

No Frills Kids Ministry - Since their are like 7 kids, it's pretty much just sit around a table and talk. Good or bad? Dunno.

We are not fleeing heresy, or false teaching. We're just sorta bored. Our old church really wants the more experienced body to find their deeper teaching through small groups, house church, etc. but we simply do not have the time (kids, both work, lots of overtime, etc). I'm torn mainly due to the quality of the kids church, not the fact that I work in that ministry, as God can always get a replacement for me, so it's not a pride issue. We have an 8 y.o and a 3 y.o.

It's always okay to leave a church. Nothing in the bible about it.

It's man made rules and/or guilt that say, oh that's not right, no church is perfect and should stay and help and resolve issues.

Wherever you feel God is leading you is place to go.

That's always the criteria to go by with everything. What God desires of you and is leading you to.

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Go for the meat.

Perhaps by changing churches your experience with children will be useful in making the new church more "kid friendly". But you know sometimes it's good for children to have a safe place to just talk.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Our Old Church

The Good

The Bad

Possible New Church

The Good

The Bad (?)

There *is* only *one* Church . We are *all* the Church . Why wouldn't you be able to be with any or as many fellow Christians as you want and anywhere they are ? This idea of only being with specific groups or clubs is forsaking the assemblies of your brothers and sisters .

Be free - meet with other siblings .

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I don't mind people moving to another church. Things change and people change, I don't see what makes someone so stagnant as "having" to stay at one place just to say they haven't moved in 50 years.

We moved churches last year and we cannot be more edified spiritually than what this church is currently providing.
We've never been more impressed - only 1 other church we went to thrilled us this much, but we had to move out of the area. My husband continually comments about how much he's inspired and taught here.

I think it's something personal that you and your family have to pray over and seek the Lord on. Nothing in the bible says to eternally stay or play musical chairs as far as being fed at any given church.

I'd pray & seek intently & not rush things. Ask God to lead & direct you. Also pray for the church itself that you think has the flaws.
What you see as a flaw, others may not... who knows.
:holy: :wave:

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There *is* only *one* Church . We are *all* the Church . Why wouldn't you be able to be with any or as many fellow Christians as you want and anywhere they are ? This idea of only being with specific groups or clubs is forsaking the assemblies of your brothers and sisters .

Be free - meet with other siblings .
I see your points, but...
The point of having a shepherd and elders is to also remain responsible & accountable to one another.
Is there something particularly "wrong" with meeting at a certain church that you've established relationships in? Or are being fed spiritually by or who you are kept accountable with?

Awhile back, I was going thru some real spiritual turmoil and stopped going to church for a month straight. When I went, an acquaintance of my husband's came up to me to ask me if anything was wrong becuz he hadn't seen me for awhile.
Church hopping keeps us anonymous and unaccountable to others who could help keep us afloat spiritually or offer a helping hand when they see we may be in trouble. How else would complete strangers know about us to ask?

In the NT they met in houses - and they were meeting with the same groups and knew one another. (this fits with how certain ones were claiming to be "of Apollos" or "of Paul" etc.)

I don't think I'd promote NOT going to 1 "home" church to be grounded in... and I wouldnt' promote constant church hopping without being 'planted' anywhere or staying in one where I wasn't being fed or cared for either.

There's nothing WRONG w/ staying somewhere, is there?? If so, please provide me with a verse that teaches this.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Our Old Church

The Good

The Bad

Possible New Church

The Good

The Bad (?)

"Can anyone give me (experience or scripturally supported) help in this touchy subject. We've been members of a church for about 5 years. It's a non-denom that had a slight charismatic bent when we first attended. The church made the switch to the Purpose Driven model a few years ago and thus has grown exponentially."

Of course it has! That's what Purpose driven churches tend to do. Because it takes the focus off of God and puts it squarely on you and all the things you must do for the next 40 days to find your purpose.

"Our Old Church

The Good

The Bad

One Pastor - Our pastor has forced out or let every other pastor in the church go. There's no teaching pastor or anyone else to share in building the flock or discipiling them."

Yeah, I'd leave a church like that too. It's worse than the non-denom church I did attend for 5 years before leaving for the Lutheran church.

"Possible New Church

The Good

The Bad (?)

REALLY SMALL - 20-30 members in the congregation. Is this a bad thing? I don't know."

No, I would say that's a good thing. Because in a congregation that small, based upon what you've said is taught at this new church, those 20-30 are the people who really want to dig into the written word of God and serve Him with all their hearts, minds and souls. They most likely can take a sermon dealing with sin and hell and how we, without Christ, deserve nothing but.

"No Frills Kids Ministry - Since their are like 7 kids, it's pretty much just sit around a table and talk. Good or bad? Dunno."

That's good. You don't want a kids ministry that lures them in with the latest music and video games, that plays upon their emotions rather than giving them the meat of God's word. Remember, and this goes for both kids and adults, whatever you bring them in with, you have to keep them with. So, if the kid's ministry has a really cool selection of video games and what not, that really cool selection is gonna have to constantly be updated to keep the kids there. Because the message that alot of churches and youth ministers send out is, Jesus just isn't as "cool" as an XBox 360.

"We are not fleeing heresy, or false teaching. We're just sorta bored. Our old church really wants the more experienced body to find their deeper teaching through small groups, house church, etc. but we simply do not have the time (kids, both work, lots of overtime, etc). I'm torn mainly due to the quality of the kids church, not the fact that I work in that ministry, as God can always get a replacement for me, so it's not a pride issue. We have an 8 y.o and a 3 y.o."

I'd trade in the old for the new. Also, go here to read an article on how to choose a new church. I wrote this awhile ago when I was in the process of choosing a new church.

http://zecryphon.blogspot.com

Upvote 0

amadeus2

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2007
Oklahoma
✟28,229.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I have changed home churches several times in my life. Each time the decision was mine, but the question to ask was was it really what God wanted for me and my family? Was it His will?

We went from from RCC(Roman Catholic to UPC (oneness)to apostolic (similar to UPC, but a most black group while we were white), to a Spanish apostolic and that was followed by 2 different UPC assemblies.

After leaving the final UPC church in Wyoming, we joined a non-denominational church in northern Oklahoma where we remained for nearly 20 years.

In each of these places God taught us some good and necessary lessons, but that only means that He used present circumstances to accomplish what He desired. It does not mean that we were right in the center of His will in our decision to move each time.I am certain that we were not.

Three of the changes I felt very comfortable with at the time and also now looking back. The others raise serious doubts in my mind, but they are past. We cannot change yesterday. We can only strive to make the right decisions today.

It is usually easy to see what "WE" want to do, but checking that against God's idea for us is another thing. I know that I did not check with God on all of my church changes, and each time I didn't I regretted that failure.

I sounds like you have reason to question whether you are in the right place. Just remember to ask God what He thinks about a change for you and yours. May God richly bless you in your continued walk with Him!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.