Is this a valid reason to start looking for a new church?

Faithfulandtrue

Follow of Jesus Christ
Jun 24, 2014
✟40,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I left my church during the shut down and went back this year. Our new building is much smaller now and I've noticed some of the like kids are in main service. I think we still have children's ministry but I've noticed allot of families bring their little kids into main service now. It wouldn't bother me so much but that the kids are very distracting and it's so small in our sanctuary you can't escape the noise. I can't focus on what the pastor is saying and it's allot of different families so it doesn't matter where I sit. I feel like if I were to say anything people at church would get offended or make me feel bad because I'm not a mom. The "oh you don't understand how hard it is to be a mom". But in my opinion is rude to not teach your kids to be quiet and behave especially at church during the sermon. Is this a valid reason to switch churches?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you really can't worship with the noises of small children present, then go ahead and look elsewhere. Or, if your church has multiple Sunday services, you could attend a different service.

But remember that these small ones are church members too, and by being in church and watching us they will, little by little, learn what it is to worship God, and how to sing the hymns and say the prayers.

My congregation has made a specific effort to include families with small children in our worship. We've set aside one corner of the sanctuary as a place where children can sit and play with soft quiet toys, but where they can also see everything that's going on during worship. And, sure, they're squirmy toddlers, but just about the time I'm wondering if they ever pay attention to anything, I'll hear one of their small voices singing along with a hymn or saying the Lord's Prayer with us, and I know then that they're learning. (The children do leave for a short music program during the sermon, but that's only a small part of our Sunday worship; they're present for the rest of the liturgy.)

I do remember, though, that when I was younger, I found children's noises in church very distracting. So, if you really do need the quiet in order to worship, I think it's reasonable to find a quieter service.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I left my church during the shut down and went back this year. Our new building is much smaller now and I've noticed some of the like kids are in main service. I think we still have children's ministry but I've noticed allot of families bring their little kids into main service now. It wouldn't bother me so much but that the kids are very distracting and it's so small in our sanctuary you can't escape the noise. I can't focus on what the pastor is saying and it's allot of different families so it doesn't matter where I sit. I feel like if I were to say anything people at church would get offended or make me feel bad because I'm not a mom. The "oh you don't understand how hard it is to be a mom". But in my opinion is rude to not teach your kids to be quiet and behave especially at church during the sermon. Is this a valid reason to switch churches?
A congregation is actually one big family. Most of the time families have children in them.I believe sticking around will give you the patience needed to be in this kind of family. Pray for patience and understanding so that the voices of children become music to your ears. It is best for children to be present in regular worship.
Here is a write-up:

Blessings.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is important for young children to be taught to sit quietly to attend to the service otherwise the point of them sitting in the service is lost as they are utterly distracted and they distract the rest of the congregation. Maybe you should talk to your church leadership about this issue and see if they take any steps to address it and supplement your main Sunday service with youtube sermons in the meantime.

Upvote 0

Faithfulandtrue

Follow of Jesus Christ
Jun 24, 2014
✟40,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is important for young children to be taught to sit quietly to attend to the service otherwise the point of them sitting in the service is lost as they are utterly distracted and they distract the rest of the congregation. Maybe you should talk to your church leadership about this issue and see if they take any steps to address it and supplement your main Sunday service with youtube sermons in the meantime.
Thank you! You're the only one so far who understands where I'm coming from!

Reactions: Gentle Lamb
Upvote 0

Faithfulandtrue

Follow of Jesus Christ
Jun 24, 2014
✟40,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A congregation is actually one big family. Most of the time families have children in them.I believe sticking around will give you the patience needed to be in this kind of family. Pray for patience and understanding so that the voices of children become music to your ears. It is best for children to be present in regular worship.
Here is a write-up:

Blessings.
It's not during worship but during the sermon. I can't focus and I'm sure the little ones don't understand what's even going on. Wouldn't it be better for them to be in Sunday school where they can learn about the Lord on their level?

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not judging anyone one or criticizing anyone.

I don't go to church. I studied under pastor Murray, shepherds chapel, on YouTube. I also bought CD and tapes many years ago. I'm trained to be teacher.

Hebrews chapter 5 tells us. We should have meat of God's word. Not still on milk. After 20 years, Christian people should be teachers of God's word. Get the picture.

Amos chapter 3 and micah chapter 3 . God is repulsed by those who engage in traditions of men and false doctrine. Playing church.

Titus chapter 3 tells us to study sound doctrine.

I recommend shepherds chapel on YouTube.

It's your decision.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
In my day children attended the same services as adults. It didn't worry us and we were quiet. It made us think we were just as important as the adults. Some churches had a room with a big window and a loudspeaker so a parent could take a howling baby and they would still feel included.

Many churches' personnel are careless about projecting their voices / not gabbling / teaching children and adults useful things. I've often been told by authority they aren't going to listen to me when I make nice practical suggestions or recommendations.

The answer is a longer piece of string than it used to be.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I will also add that I had an order of service book with pictures and succinct articles / commentaries in multicoloured print, and in two languages. That was nice and highbrow and kept me in the right focus.

When older, order of service leaflets could be re-read, the shape of the lettering examined etc, and any notices on the reverse could be fun too.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I would talk with the church leadership about this problem, because you may not be the only one bothered by the noise. The irresponsible parents should be reprimanded and should use a church cry room for their squalling toddlers. When their children stop screaming, they can return to the service. That's part of child discipline, and the church should facilitate that process.

I agree with the article @Maria Billingsley cited, but below a certain age children struggle with controlling themselves, and the discipline process of getting children to sit still and keep quiet doesn't happen overnight.

I will also add that I had an order of service book with pictures and succinct articles / commentaries in multicoloured print, and in two languages. That was nice and highbrow and kept me in the right focus.

When older, order of service leaflets could be re-read, the shape of the lettering examined etc, and any notices on the reverse could be fun too.
This has been the practice that my church has adopted: bringing them back into the main worship service on certain intervals and giving them a special bulletin to keep them engaged.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It can be good to have families and senior mature Christians as our examples.

If the sermons are very good for you, I think you would not want to be in a hurry to go somewhere else where the preaching is not so sound.

Maybe taking notes could help you keep attention to the sermon, and you might record it and go through it later.

Upvote 0