Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...and it is clearly the most beautiful, uplifting, and even familiar version. If people who say they need a "modern language" version only realized how many expressions and phrases that we all use every day come from the KJV, they might re-think the idea of turning to a simplified translation.

Anyway, it's actually much easier just to find out what the occasionally difficult word appearing in the KJV really means than to move to a completely different translation. Really. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bringing back a dead thread like this one is a sure sign that all you want to do is cause contention. Your post adds nothing to this thread but ignorance.

Please be very wise in the words chosen.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Please be very wise in the words chosen.
Do you not think the phrase "they might re-think the idea of turning to a 'dumbed down' translation" was goading? I did not call anyone ignorant. I said the post displayed ignorance. In addition I do not believe Anglicans are supposed to be putting their two cents in here are they?

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In addition I do not believe Anglicans are supposed to be putting their two cents in here are they?

So long as they do not preach against Baptist doctrine, they are free to post here.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Exactly! As such, they are free to say something either in favour of it or against it.
Agreed. But they are not free to goad people. Bringing this dead thread back to life especially in the manner of his post is meant to elicit a negative response.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Agreed. But they are not free to goad people. Bringing this dead thread back to life especially in the manner of his post is meant to elicit a negative response.

I am sure that @Albion's intention was not hurtful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you not think the phrase "they might re-think the idea of turning to a 'dumbed down' translation" was goading? I did not call anyone ignorant. I said the post displayed ignorance. In addition I do not believe Anglicans are supposed to be putting their two cents in here are they?
Oh, for heaven's sake. Why didn't you just point to whatever was upsetting and I'd have changed it. :doh: And no, I didn't say that every modern language translation is "d**** d****," and I really thought that that was a pretty mild and common expression. It wasn't about anyone, didn't refer to anyone, and no particular Bible edition was being discussed by anyone when I wrote that. But there are some that are quite inexact as they pursue readability at a junior high school level. That's fact. The KJV is considered difficult, and it's rated at a 12th grade reading level--12th grade! So anyone who is looking for a newer translation needs to be careful of the one that they choose.

Thank you, The Portuguese Baptist for your post and bye-bye to the rest of the forum. I think this forum produces some really interesting threads but if fellowship is not permitted, I'll pass it by in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It was not hurtful. It was obviously meant to incite. If he did not mean it to be that way he should change the wording.
Maybe I could have been asked that before the accusations started. I just now saw this little dust up and quite by accident.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Bringing this dead thread back to life especially in the manner of his post is meant to elicit a negative response.
I wasn't the one who did that, either. The post of mine referred to here was posted only six minutes after the previous one. Had I seen a dead thread, I would not have made any post, no matter what the topic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's the thing about texts and conversations online. No matter the structure, it can certainly be taken both ways - all in how the reader reads it.

My only suggestion would be to take a moment before posting anything and make sure what was read, was read accurately. If there are any questions as to what the other meant, by all means, ask politely.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, I remember the bible talking about the jots and tittles of scripture, 'Jots and tittles' are like crossing your t's and dotting your i's in the english idiom.
Except that phrase is NOT an "English idiom" since Our Lord was NOT speaking in English.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
King James wanted the new translation to be without bias..and no footnotes or commenatry or anything without scripture in it, which a lot of bibles had at the time..church agendas and dissensions. Just plain scripture.

It dispensed with commentary, but the Authorized Version did have notes in the margin. And sometimes they used them to discuss different possible meanings or translations.

Here is an example, from a scan of the 1611 text, of a marginal note that has alternate manuscript readings. It is from 2nd John.

You can check out the scans of the 1611 at this site, and get a text based side by side comparison of the 1611 KJV and the modern KJV.
THE FIRST EPISTLE GENERALL OF IOHN. (ORIGINAL 1611 KJV)

In the below scan we can see two types of margin notes. One gives different readings from "copies" and starts with "or" introducing other possible readings. In other words, it notes a different reading in other manuscripts.

The other starts with "Gr" which gives an elaboration on the Greek text. Usually these are more literal than the translation in the text. In this case the original text reads "mouth to mouth", but the more common English idiom was substituted, "face to face."

attachment.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0