Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I noticed that lots of ppl seem to hate the KJV of the Bible. Why?
Even some christians mock it.
I dont understand this. If you dont read it, then fine, but why hate on others that do?
Maybe its just cos they dont understand it?

Reading it doesnt make you old fashioned. I mean Gods word is timeless. Anyway. I just find it weird that some ppl seem to hate it for no valid reason.

Its the easiest version to memorize, plus, its free.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know of no Christians that "hate" the KJV. There are some who prefer other more modern translations because of the fact that they are based on a much wider range of ancient manuscripts and have the benefit of an additional 400 years of biblical scholarship. I fall into that group but I still love the elegant Elizabethan English of the KJV. Nobody hates it.

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
If you dont read it, then fine, but why hate on others that do?
I believe it is KJV-Onlyism that others hate. Not the KJV itself. If you can show any specific examples of people saying they hate people who use the KJV I would like to see them.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't hate the KJV. I don't care to read Old English, plus people begin to say prayers like they're reading Scripture with "thee" & "thou". And I'm not hating on them either.

I dislike the NIV more, at least the original NIV. Haven't kept up with versions since.

I think what you see is most people don't care to read old English. Words don't all have the same meaning today they had back then.

It's when people start to say the KJV is the most accurate version, that the arguments arise over Textus Recuptus(KJV) vs Sinaiticus(ESV/NASB/NET...)

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I hate it because it is old English and hard to understand. I do not hate people who use it, but would rather not use it, myself.

Actually it is Elizabethan/Jacobian English. Old English is much more difficult to understand.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hmm seems conflicting views here...
I did notice that..some of the hatred for the KJV is projected onto the people who read it as their only version.

It actually is not even elizabethan english..it would have been first published in the jamesian era i.e King James, not queen elizabeth but anyway...as its a word of word translation even for the time some of it would have been archaic to anybody as both the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts were thousands of years old.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It actually is not even elizabethan english..it would have been first published in the jamesian era i.e King James, not queen elizabeth

That is why I called it "Jacobian" as well as "Elizabethan".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also its relatively simple to understand the different pronouns.
Ye and you are plural..like y'all
Thee, thou and thine are singular

In other languages they have this distinction, its lost in the modern english translations.
The orginal hebrew and greek had it.

Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The KJV of the bible has an interestng history of how it came about and i would recommend ppl research a bit more about this. Google tyndale.

Its one of those testimonies that make you thank the Lord that we still have it today.

Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jacobian? Who is jacob? Sorry. Dont follow.
I know Jacob in the bible of course.

The Jacobean Era refers to the period of time in English and Scottish history when James I (1603 - 1625) ruled. With the death of Elizabeth I, power transferred to the Stuarts, the ruling family of Scotland. As the first Stuart ruler, James I clashed with Parliament over divine right and tax collection, but he also pursued colonization in America. The Jacobean era is also characterized by a flourishing of the arts, architecture, and literature, with subtle changes from the previous Elizabethan period.

I should add that 'Jacobus' is the Latin form of 'James'.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Also its relatively simple to understand the different pronouns.
Ye and you are plural..like y'all
Thee, thou and thine are singular

In other languages they have this distinction, its lost in the modern english translations.
The orginal hebrew and greek had it.
It is really not lost. The meaning of the word, you, is now dependent upon context and who is speaking or being spoken to. Any modern English speaking person understands that which is why modern translations are much easier to understand. Many people prefer modern translations and just because they do not understand the archaic English it does not mean that they need to pray about it to understand it. Languages and word meanings change. I do not hate the KJV. I have two or three copies myself. I hate KJV-Onlyism and I hate the notion that if people do not understand it they should be praying to God for guidance. If that is the case there sure are a lot of Christians out there who God is not guiding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I noticed that lots of ppl seem to hate the KJV of the Bible. Why?
Even some christians mock it.
I dont understand this. If you dont read it, then fine, but why hate on others that do?
Maybe its just cos they dont understand it?

Reading it doesnt make you old fashioned. I mean Gods word is timeless. Anyway. I just find it weird that some ppl seem to hate it for no valid reason.

Its the easiest version to memorize, plus, its free.

Because Genesis 22:1 and James 1:13 blatantly contradict one another the way the KJV translates the Hebrew to the Greek. I'm sure it was an oversight, but one that has lasted over 400 years because now we refuse to go back and correct it.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh well there are two different english meanings of tempt which still means test but if you a stickler for words then I can see why you just wouldnt understand it. But the thing is hebrew and greek are two different languages so thats why the OT and NT dont always correspond when translated into english.

The hebrew OT itself was translated into Greek called the septagint and this thats where the NT quotes its scriptures from cos it was written much later when there were a lot of greek speaking jews.

This doesnt make the KJV wrong, it was just the OT is. translated from the original tongue. Not a translation of a translation.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do find that a lot of people misinterpet Gods motives in the story of abraham and isaac.
Even Job thought God was being mean to him. But remember this was back in the OT before Jesus came, and people didnt understand the whole battle between God and satan who is actually just an adversary that God allows into our lives when we dont listen to Him or His Son.

Like one of the ladies in my bible study, she doesnt like the KJV right, she reads from some other version and told me my KJV was too old. But she just didnt get the whole abraham isaac episode. That Abraham trusted God and knew that God would provide.

She thought God was being unreasonable.

Upvote 0