✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Let me try asking another way.

Why are Orthodox always picking on Greek Orthodox?
they’re large, have the most money and political sway, and some parishes seem to care more about being ethnically Greek. to be fair, the latter point is found everywhere it just seems more prevalent in certain Greek parishes.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
they’re large, have the most money and political sway, and some parishes seem to care more about being ethnically Greek. to be fair, the latter point is found everywhere it just seems more prevalent in certain Greek parishes.
I think a big difference here is the accident of history that, say, the OCA parishes that cared about being ethnically Russian, for instance, largely died out, while there was an influx of Greek immigration in the 1970s to prop them up. We used to have a lot more big OCA parishes in the east... Part of that was also demographics, of course, Greek parishes were/are typically urban while the OCA was in a lot of mining, steel working, etc communities that for a variety of reasons declined...

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think a big difference here is the accident of history that, say, the OCA parishes that cared about being ethnically Russian, for instance, largely died out, while there was an influx of Greek immigration in the 1970s to prop them up. We used to have a lot more big OCA parishes in the east... Part of that was also demographics, of course, Greek parishes were/are typically urban while the OCA was in a lot of mining, steel working, etc communities that for a variety of reasons declined...
oh, to be sure

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He's by no means wackidoo, I recommend retracting this slander of your brother clergyman.
done, and forgive me for slipping on my own standard. sorry about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He's by no means wackidoo, I recommend retracting this slander of your brother clergyman.
But you are apparently OK with saying whatever you like about Fr Peter Heers?

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Do you have any comments of mine in particular in mind? I welcome the opportunity to correct any past wrongs, though also appreciate an apology for the implication if there aren't any.

EDIT: if the issue is grave enough, I may even write a letter of apology to his bishop if you let me know who that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Let me try asking another way.

Why are Orthodox always picking on Greek Orthodox?
Because the many GOA around the world are basically subsidizing "Constantinople." And it keeps calling itself the "Ecumenical Patriarchate" when there no longer is a Roman emperor.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Though the most leftist clergyman I know is in the ROCOR!
And ROCOR hasn't defrocked or excommunicated him yet? Interesting.
Because the many GOA around the world are basically subsidizing "Constantinople." And it keeps calling itself the "Ecumenical Patriarchate" when there no longer is a Roman emperor.
And hasn't been one for 570 years! But then again, ROCOR still prays for the so-called "God protected Russian land and holy diaspora". I'm sorry, but if it is so "God protected" (which implies all other lands are not) than why were most rank-and-file Bolsheviks the sons of priests?

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There was an attempt to begin a movement towards a possible unified American Orthodox Church in the 1990s. It seems many American Orthodox wanted to get past the jurisdictions issues but there was internal & external disagreement.

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And ROCOR hasn't defrocked or excommunicated him yet? Interesting.
ROCOR bishops, especially the Russian ones, are a lot more reasonable than the stereotypes would have you think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is the Greek Orthodox branch of Orthodoxy considered the most liberal?
I personally consider it to be so, but that’s recognizing that it’s not monolithically so. All jurisdictions have a range of people with a range of views clergy and laity. But as a general rule, and for reasons pointed out by others in the US (relative size and wealth), as well as in the rest of the world, and more notably in its hierarchy, the Greek Church does tend to be more on the Left side of things, and the “liberal” Orthodox Christians I know personally in the Eastern world decisively line up on the leftist side of issues, on the side of Constantinople against Russia, and of the schismatic Church in the Ukraine vs the canonical one, as well as on the alphabet soup of sexual anarchy and its rebellion against traditional morality.

In the US, I think the relative size and wealth produces relative corruption, and relative worldliness is a result. My mother was an inquirer into the Church before that worldliness and ethnic promotion of Greek everything over evangelization of Americans pushed her away and contributed to her turn to Islam in the last years of her life.

Certainly there are good, normal, traditional-minded, and pious people in the Greek Church; I speak only of the general trend.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can someone post an article explaining the Jurisdictions and the issues they have with each other as well as info on who is in communion with who? I know some recent immigrants that are Orthodox and they do not speak English well so I thought I'd help them out.

Thanks
It's not important. Go find your strongest local parish. Until one of the communions becomes RC, they are essentially fair game with the potential exception of the OCU (Ukrainian state church) as they are schismatic by every definition and propped up by persecution--but the OCU does not exist in the diaspora.

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
But you are apparently OK with saying whatever you like about Fr Peter Heers?
Hi, I'm going to have to reiterate: substantiate or apologize/retract your implication.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0