✟25,153.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John 3:1-21, (NKJV)
1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.
2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him."
3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
6 "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 "Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'
8 "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."
9 Nicodemus answered and said to Him, "How can these things be?"
10 Jesus answered and said to him, "Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things?
11 "Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness.
12 "If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?
13 "No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven.
14 "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up,
15 "that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.
16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
17 "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 "And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 "For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
21 "But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God."

In this passage Jesus is talking to Nicodemus. I find this very encouraging. In part because Jesus is talking about second birth. And Nicodemus askes a very good question, he asks how he can be born again through his mother and then Jesus tells him that is not what he ment. We are first born of water, the vaginal birth from our mother's womb, then we are to be born of the Spirit, meaning accepting and believing in Jesus Christ as God's son. I must admit that growing up I had the same questions that Nicodemus had, and I am ever so glad that they are answered right here in this chapter.

armothe

Living in HIS kingdom...
May 22, 2002
Visit site
✟16,561.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Pegasus said:
In this passage Jesus is talking to Nicodemus. I find this very encouraging. In part because Jesus is talking about second birth. And Nicodemus askes a very good question, he asks how he can be born again through his mother and then Jesus tells him that is not what he ment. We are first born of water, the vaginal birth from our mother's womb, then we are to be born of the Spirit, meaning accepting and believing in Jesus Christ as God's son. I must admit that growing up I had the same questions that Nicodemus had, and I am ever so glad that they are answered right here in this chapter.
Caesarean? What about test-tube babies? or cloning in the future? Will they be able to be saved?

-A

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is a devotion I wrote.

Nicodemus

Nicodemus approaches Jesus under the cloak of night to investigate the circumstances surrounding his ministry and reputation. However, Jesus immediately changes the focus to anônthen (which in Greek means to be born again and be born from above. So every time one reads “born again” in John 3, it also means born from above). As a ruler of the Pharisees, Nicodemus speaks for the Pharisee’s saying “we know” but Jesus corrects him, saying, “You can not see God unless you come from God…and you can not go to heaven unless you are born from heaven.” And with the same word, anônthen, Jesus declares that when one is born from above, one is also born a second time. The first time a person is born, the “water breaks” from his mother before labor. The second time a person is born is from the Spirit, and accredits one heritage from heaven.

Jesus does not allow for any exceptions in his discourse with Nicodemus. He states, “You must be born again/above. (3.3)” If one is not born again/above then one is already condemned to judgment (3.17). If one accepts God’s gift, the Son, then one is not (18). This is why Jesus, twice warns Nicodemus about the truth (5, 11). Nicodemus tries to resist the truth, that one must be born anônthen, through the Son (4, 9). As a Pharisee of Pharisees, Nicodemus has worked tenaciously his whole life to adhere to the requirements of the Law. Yet, he and “knows” that Jesus comes from God (2). But, they do not know how to see the Kingdom of God. That is to say, Nicodemus thinks he knows but must release his assumptions if he is to hear Jesus out. But now he has come into the light, Jesus, and his deeds must be reproved. Like all who hear the truth, he must make a choice to accept the Son, and confess that he has been wrong, or reject the Son and remain in darkness and condemnation. Judgment and decision are also two inseparable themes in John 3 (19-21).

Later, we find that Nicodemus accepted the Truth and chose the Light (John 7.49-51). He expresses his love in John 13.39 with another Pharisee, Joseph of Arimathea. He anoints the body of Jesus with about 100 litrai (75 lbs) of myrrh and aloe as part of a lavish burial. He openly expresses his love in the light of day

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.