I've never met another millenial without a smartphone.

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When people at work see me with a flip phone, they usually comment on it. I don't really see why smartphones are so popular. You can access the Internet, but I don't need to do that when away from home.
In a way I like being the only person I know to not own one. Makes me unique. Plus I find it annoying how everyone is always staring at them.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When people at work see me with a flip phone, they usually comment on it. I don't really see why smartphones are so popular. You can access the Internet, but I don't need to do that when away from home.
In a way I like being the only person I know to not own one. Makes me unique. Plus I find it annoying how everyone is always staring at them.
They'll make a comeback in the future.

communicator-840x637.jpg

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I have an 'old person's' flip phone (Jitterbug), but just for emergencies when travelling. I use a land line/answering machine for all needed communications. Everyone one I work with has a smart phone and uses many of the functions and apps for business. That said it is also an expensive toy for many. Sales of these phones is part of the great global 'trickle up' flow of money to the upper middle and wealthy classes.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I only just switched to a smartphone about half a year ago, and mostly because it's getting tricky to find vacation plans for older phones when you travel abroad. Also for the map function.

But yeah, I got lots of comments over the flip phone as well.

Upvote 0

WadeTheophan

Falling and getting up to fall again
Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Houston Texas
✟89,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

communicator-840x637.jpg
I love the pic from Star Trek. Personally I’d like to start a whole movement towards “dumb” technology regressing back to around late seventies early eighties technology pertaining to phones, cars, tv’s etc. I think it would really catch on. Does anyone know how to use every button on their TV remote? I recently bought a car 2013 model that has an owners manual 547 pages long- all in English. Occasionally out of nowhere the car speaks to me and tells me I need to talk to it some more, for safety of course. Sounds like my wife/mother. I don’t think a command for shut up or be quiet is in it’s vocabulary unfortunately.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,934.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

If my parents didn't push me to own a smarphone, I would still be using my old Nokia N73 brick phone :) In fact, I still have it and still in working order...and sometimes I still use it when I don't want to bring my tablet.

But I don't know.... When the Nokia N73 came out in the market, it was considered a smartphone even if it is using the old T9 keys, tiny non touchscreen, no wifi, etc, etc.

In a way I like being the only person I know to not own one. Makes me unique.

Ironically, that is a popular sentiment among millenials! ^_^ In their quest to be unique, they end up being alike!!:doh:

I didn't want to get the newer touchscreen phones because I simply don't need it.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In today's world, that's like saying that you prefer not to use electricity.

I think that it is that our minds crave stimulation, and smart-phones cater to that craving ...

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not a Millennial (gen x) but I work in IT and use a smart phone for my business. I would rather not have the thing, though. I've been reading more about smart phones emitting dangerous radiation. I also long for the simpler times before the internet. Ironically, before the internet, we were more connected as a society.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think that it is that our minds crave stimulation, and smart-phones cater to that craving ...

Modernity is tearing this world apart.

Happily not everyone needs to be constantly stimulated by the newest technology. That fact is that the west is overstimulated in many destructive ways.

Who was ever hit by a bus while talking on a land phone line.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Not my world. I may see smartphones everywhere, but buying one wouldn't enable me to do anything else, aside from GPS. I just look up maps at home before driving somewhere.

Upvote 0

gerbilwoman

Gerbil Queen
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2014
USA
✟436,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a millennial and I had a flip phone for the longest time. I now have a smart phone but it's a very cheap smart phone. I rarely use the smart features but decided it was worth buying a little data to compare prices in stores. I'm also vegan and sometimes I'll see something in the store and not know the source of an ingredient so I'll look it up on my phone. Unlike most millennials I'm not totally attached to my phone, I just use it when it is practical.

Upvote 0

KStyles

Hillsong ✨
Apr 2, 2018
United States
✟16,492.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I think that's awesome! I personally hate how obsessed people are with their phones/tablets! I used to never go on my phone until my mom and cousin would always be in the same room as me but they would be on their devices ignoring me. Then I just forced myself to be on my phone because I was bored. My parents are far worse about being on their phones than I am...I enjoy my smartphone due to all the things I can do on it; it's quite convenient! But I would much rather live in a world pre-iphones. It honestly sucks being born in the mid 90s. I'm old enough to remember what life was like before Apple and social media took over, but too young to have much time without it. Everyone is so obsessed with it nowadays and I honestly can't stand it. I feel like I was born in the wrong generation...;;

communicator-840x637.jpg

Lol! You're probably right! Vintage items always have their comeback! Like rotary phones and record players. They're super cool and aesthetic now. I wouldn't be surprised if the early cellphones make their comeback soon...The 90s shows, fashions, and even foods have come back, cellphones may be next!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums