Jun 27, 2015
✟38,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I recently switched to a flip phone and stopped using the smartphone and thought I would ask for your input on how to be more productive while not using a smartphone. Switching to a flip phone may be something I do for a few weeks or more permanently and I am thinking of doing this in order to avoid the distraction that can come from a smartphone.

With the smartphone I tend to spend my time listening to Christian podcasts, playing games of chess with people around the world, and texting friends a lot, enjoying the faster texting speeds. In the past switching to a flip phone meant there was less to do, so I would just go to bed way too early and sleep much more than usual. During my time not using a smartphone, I could be more productive by reading books and playing the guitar more, and memorizing Bible verses and praying more and fill my time with other activities rather than just sleep more. I am thinking I could find more friends in my church to text and call and chat, although I can tend to spend too much time texting even with a flip phone. I am trying to figure out how to be more productive during this time so I would appreciate your ideas. I also do not have my TV connected, do not have Internet, and I could try to go more than once a week to the fitness center I suppose.

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It is really a issue of time management. Making decisions such as using a flip phone can be a method to curb the temptation to distraction. However, the inclination to be tempted is still there. A key point will be your ability to summon the resolve to stick with a plan.

If you can allow yourself a certain amount of time for a particular activity and stick to it, you may be able to make it work.

Reactions: DerbyHist2
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You made a very wise choice! I want to change to a flip phone from a smart phone but my family says I need a smart phone in case I need to look something up in an emergency. If it was just me & my choice, I'd change no question.

It's just a giant distraction. Social media. Non-stop news. Games at your finger tips.

I would get a lot more reading regular paper books done, that's for sure, & would be more reliant on picking up the phone to call instead of texting. It'd be easy for me to find other things to do instead of beng reliant on it. Polls say most people don't like it, so why don't we go back????

Upvote 0