Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Citing a study published in 2000 by the Glenmary Research Center, Shiflett reports that the Presbyterian Church USA declined by 11.6 percent over the previous decade, while the United Methodist Church lost "only" 6.7 percent and the Episcopal Church lost 5.3 percent. The United Church of Christ was abandoned by 14.8 percent of its members, while the American Baptist Churches USA were reduced by 5.7 percent.

"On the other side of the theological divide, most conservative denominations are growing. The conservative Presbyterian Church in America [PCA] grew 42.4 percent in the same decade that the more liberal Presbyterian denomination lost 11.6 percent of its members. Other conservative denominations experiencing significant growth included the Christian Missionary Alliance (21.8 percent), the Evangelical Free Church (57.2 percent), the Assemblies of God (18.5 percent), and the Southern Baptist Convention (five percent)."
..................................................................................................................
The above is from an article that was published about six years ago, but it remains approximately the same today. I would add the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America to the liberal list and the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod to the conservative list. Also, some of the smaller Lutheran churches and the Free Methodist Church and the Christian Reformed Church.

You can learn a lot online, but be mindful of the exact name of the denomination/national church body since within the same family of faith (Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc.) this separates the liberal ones from their conservative counterparts and most church groups have such a division.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,160,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And yet, though Jesus died for our sins and it's a free gift that we receive as long as we believe, it says in scripture that few that call Him Lord will go to Heaven...

Some will know He is real but refuse to do what He said, such as the commandment "love one another" or "forgive, and you will be forgiven".

But we can do these.....

His commands to us are enjoyable to do, once we start!

One need only overcome fear, and He will help us when we pray as He said, and do what He said is the greatest commandment, to love God with all that we've got.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Citing a study published in 2000 by the Glenmary Research Center, Shiflett reports that the Presbyterian Church USA declined by 11.6 percent over the previous decade, while the United Methodist Church lost "only" 6.7 percent and the Episcopal Church lost 5.3 percent. The United Church of Christ was abandoned by 14.8 percent of its members, while the American Baptist Churches USA were reduced by 5.7 percent.

"On the other side of the theological divide, most conservative denominations are growing. The conservative Presbyterian Church in America [PCA] grew 42.4 percent in the same decade that the more liberal Presbyterian denomination lost 11.6 percent of its members. Other conservative denominations experiencing significant growth included the Christian Missionary Alliance (21.8 percent), the Evangelical Free Church (57.2 percent), the Assemblies of God (18.5 percent), and the Southern Baptist Convention (five percent)."
..................................................................................................................
The above is from an article that was published about six years ago, but it remains approximately the same today. I would add the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America to the liberal list and the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod to the conservative list. Also, some of the smaller Lutheran churches and the Free Methodist Church and the Christian Reformed Church.

You can learn a lot online, but be mindful of the exact name of the denomination/national church body since within the same family of faith (Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc.) this separates the liberal ones from their conservative counterparts and most church groups have such a division.

Interesting, but when I looked up the first one, the PCA, I saw:

"The Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) was founded on December 4, 1973...."

Which of course suggests that it would grow a lot, right? Because it's still pretty young, and still can attract new member churches -- churches that already exist, and already have members, and already are pretty much the same as it.

But new conversions of people that were not previously baptized....that is a big deal. That would be the numbers that would be interesting to see.

I know that the ELCA has a lot of older members (large number), and of course they will age out, so even just to keep even, the ELCA has to get a lot of new people. An ELCA church could in a decade for example lose 100 to old age, and then would need 100 entirely new members just to stay even.

So, altogether I'm the most interested in how many new conversions of people that did not have Christ (not already Christian) a church has.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, but when I looked up the first one, the PCA, I saw:

"The Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) was founded on December 4, 1973...."

Which of course suggests that it would grow a lot, right? Because it's still pretty young, and still can attract new member churches -- churches that already exist, and already have members, and already are pretty much the same as it.

But new conversions of people that were not previously baptized....that is a big deal. That would be the numbers that would be interesting to see.

I know that the ELCA has a lot of older members (large number), and of course they will age out, so even just to keep even, the ELCA has to get a lot of new people. An ELCA church could in a decade for example lose 100 to old age, and then would need 100 entirely new members just to stay even.

So, altogether I'm the most interested in how many new conversions of people that did not have Christ (not already Christian) a church has.

All right, but I was referring that article to you in order to give some hints about which churches are known for being Bible-oriented and which others have a more freewheeling reputation. That's what you inquired about.

If you want to know which churches have done the best job at bringing people in, that's something else. But I would caution you that the ones that have attracted the most new members are not necessarily (actually, not at all) the ones that are the truest to the Bible.

Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel that I'm probably going to Hell.

Yet I don't feel afraid anymore. It used to bring me to tears but not for the past day.

I'm still going to try to follow Jesus and do as God commands, to the amount that I can, but even then I don't think I'll go to heaven.

I can't help but feel my best isn't good enough.
According to God's Word it is not your best or your righteousness that gets you to heaven, but the perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ. So if your faith is in Him as your Savior you will go to heaven.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Except in my area we're pretty much surrounded by liberal churches...

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yet I don't feel afraid anymore. It used to bring me to tears but not for the past day.

I'm still going to try to follow Jesus and do as God commands, to the amount that I can, but even then I don't think I'll go to heaven.

As I am sure others will say, no one's best is good enough to merit heaven. That is why Jesus had to die on the Cross to pay our sin price. All we have to do in order to be with Him in heaven forever is to: 1) repent of our sins, and 2) trust in Jesus Christ. It is that simple. It is your faith in His righteousness that merits heaven, not your own righteousness which is but "filthy rags." We are all in this same boat; no one deserves to be saved.

The first and fundamental ground of our assurance, because it is the sole ground of our salvation, is 'the finished work of Christ.'
Whenever the devil or even our conscience accuses us, and we feel burdened with guilt, we need to look away from ourselves to Christ crucified. Then again we will have peace. For our acceptance with God depends not on ourselves and what we could ever do (which could never be enough for any of us) but instead depends entirely on Christ and what he has done for all on the Cross. We simply must believe.

Upvote 0

Seymore Bell

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Jackson, MS
✟49,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced

Ch. Bell
You said, "I feel that I'm probably going to hell." Have you been save? Have you been born again? Apostle Paul said, "that if thou shalt confess with thou mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Roman 9:10. Do you believe Roman 9:10? If you have? Then you are saved! Also, you can know you have eternal life read 1 John 5:13 when you have time.
believer's home is Heaven, not hell.
I hope this help.

Upvote 0

Firearms

Feb 25, 2014
Colorado
✟18,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
do what He said is the greatest commandment, to love God with all that we've got.
I get confused by advice on this forum almost daily. As I understand it, the human condition is that of darkness and sin, and sin continues even after one is born again. I've always heard that it's impossible during this sin-tainted life, to live perfectly as we ought. Jesus told several in scripture to , "Go and sin no more", but we all have to agree that this side of the grave, perfection is just simply unattainable. So when Jesus commanded to "Love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind", I understand this to be another command that is impossible to reach 100% on, just like "Go and sin no more". That's why I have a hard time with this command being given by sinners to sinners as though it were accomplish-able. Might as well post that the OP go and sin no more. Pointing in the right direction for sure, but who among us is conceited enough to proclaim that they've already achieved the impossible that Jesus commanded? If I could butcher Pauls words so as to reveal what I see his meaning to be,

I want to know Christ—yes. Not that I have already obtained this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Examining myself here, if someone were to ask me, "Do you love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind?", I'd have to be honest and say, "Oh how I wish I did, but not even close, no. Try as I might, I'm still constantly persuaded by darkness, distracted by my flesh, and drawn by sin. I try, and yes I do love the Lord, but if I'm honest, by His grace alone do I ever, barely muster up the love from a portion of my heart, a part of my soul, some of my strength, and a fraction of my mind. I fall so very short in all I do I'm afraid.
All we have to do in order to be with Him in heaven forever is to: 1) repent of our sins, and 2) trust in Jesus Christ. It is that simple.
In a thread where the bulk of advice shares the vein that our works cannot acquire everlasting life, I'm confused why these two works are advised as the only simple hoops one has to jump through in order to achieve their salvation. Because aren't both faith and repentance gifts? As opposed to mere tasks we can duplicate to trick the One who will judge us.

Speaking for myself, whatever trust in Jesus that I possess; the faith that has been authored in my heart, and however much I might have walked or continue to walk in repentance, it was not I, but the grace of God that was with me.

Again, I confess to being confused by posts that fall contrary to what little I've absorbed over a lifetime of preaching and teaching.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Your best, and mine, will never be "good enough". Never. Trying to obtain righteousness by keeping the law (which you can't do anyway) will not get you where you want to go.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

• Winner
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If *anybody's* best was good enough, Jesus would have had nothing He needed to die for.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get confused by advice on this forum almost daily. As I understand it, the human condition is that of darkness and sin, and sin continues even after one is born again. I've always heard that it's impossible during this sin-tainted life, to live perfectly as we ought. Jesus told several in scripture to , "Go and sin no more", but we all have to agree that this side of the grave, perfection is just simply unattainable. So when Jesus commanded to "Love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind", I understand this to be another command that is impossible to reach 100% on, just like "Go and sin no more". That's why I have a hard time with this command being given by sinners to sinners as though it were accomplish-able. Might as well post that the OP go and sin no more. Pointing in the right direction for sure, but who among us is conceited enough to proclaim that they've already achieved the impossible that Jesus commanded? If I could butcher Pauls words so as to reveal what I see his meaning to be,

I want to know Christ—yes. Not that I have already obtained this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Examining myself here, if someone were to ask me, "Do you love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind?", I'd have to be honest and say, "Oh how I wish I did, but not even close, no. Try as I might, I'm still constantly persuaded by darkness, distracted by my flesh, and drawn by sin. I try, and yes I do love the Lord, but if I'm honest, by His grace alone do I ever, barely muster up the love from a portion of my heart, a part of my soul, some of my strength, and a fraction of my mind. I fall so very short in all I do I'm afraid.

In a thread where the bulk of advice shares the vein that our works cannot acquire everlasting life, I'm confused why these two works are advised as the only simple hoops one has to jump through in order to achieve their salvation. Because aren't both faith and repentance gifts? As opposed to mere tasks we can duplicate to trick the One who will judge us.

Speaking for myself, whatever trust in Jesus that I possess; the faith that has been authored in my heart, and however much I might have walked or continue to walk in repentance, it was not I, but the grace of God that was with me.

Again, I confess to being confused by posts that fall contrary to what little I've absorbed over a lifetime of preaching and teaching.

We know only your faith saves you, not your works. Others may know more about how we have faith. For me it comes from reading Christ's Words.

It's only by faith we are saved.
But the works are commanded to us anyway.

We are only saved by grace, because we have faith. And then we are commanded to do certain things.

We can pray for help though! The Lord's Prayer is one profound prayer for help we can do, but we can also ask for help to do specific things He told us to do I have found.

For the Greatest Commandment,
Don't think "I have to do it perfect.". Just do it with all you have.

Do it on faith.

I've got no idea if this is 1/4th of what is some total my heart could ultimately do in a perfect situation and fully fit, or 48% or what.

No idea.

But it is all i am able right now when I try. That's "all my might" and it does not matter how little might that is.

The widow gave 2 copper pennies! It was all she had, however little. It was enough.

Trust Christ and trust His Words, and do as He says.
Not me. Not a preacher unless the preacher is doing as Christ said, showing fruit as Christ said to look for, such as real love, teaching Christ's words. Not a doctrine. But we need Christ's Words, in the end. He is the One Who saves.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well the church I plan to go to doesn't seem to offer bible studies (Or I think they only have it once a month). Is it possible to go to the bible studies of another church?

I hope this can be of help to you until you....Start to Follow

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your best, and mine, will never be "good enough". Never. Trying to obtain righteousness by keeping the law (which you can't do anyway) will not get you where you want to go.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

He came for you and for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus washed the disciples feet it was symbolic that they were clean (saved by faith) but picked up dirt (sin).

Are you born again as in John 3:3?

If yes, you are fine and if no you need to be.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟325,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Except in my area we're pretty much surrounded by liberal churches...
My personal view on liberal churches: I wouldn't go. I'd sooner find a little six person evangelic home based or small store front group of true believers than go to a liberal church . I'd sooner go sit in a clearing in the woods or next to a pond and read my bible, and have done exactly that.. You can watch services at Great Grace World Outreach online, 9am, 11am and 6:30 pm on Sundays and 7:30 pm EST on Wed. They run about 90 minutes long each and are bible based. Better to join a body but not if it is going to be a liberal untrue church.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It's OK. None of us are "good enough". God loves us anyways, and sent Jesus to show us that and forgive our sins.

And yet, though Jesus died for our sins and it's a free gift that we receive as long as we believe, it says in scripture that few that call Him Lord will go to Heaven...

That doesn't mean it's the last word for us. Sometimes people misuse or misread verses like this to harm or manipulate people spiritually. This is a reason you need a good church where people will help you understand the Bible and live out being a Christian.

I want to please God instead of myself. I have stopped watching youtube videos or playing video games that don't have to do with God. (But I still sorta miss it...) And I am helping out around the house more.

God doesn't necessarily require us to stop playing video games or watching Youtube videos.

I belong to one of those "liberal churches". We don't necessarily think of ourselves as liberals, that's a label somebody else put on us. A "liberal church" may be just where you need to go to grow spiritually. We do in fact read the Bible, quite a bit, in our churches, even if we try to relate what the Bible says to our modern lives.

"Whosoever Will May Come" is a good group here on the forums to ask more questions about this particular way of being Christian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟325,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I'm sorry if you are confused but it might be best to start your own thread on that rather than further confound the OP in her own situation.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

The entirety of your life hasn't played out yet. You have acknowledged a change in your approach over time towards Jesus and His commandments. By the same evidence how do you know that there will be no further change in yourself towards the same things? The main point is don't give up on trying to follow Jesus because things have changed from the past. That only means things are able to change including what you can do today. Philippians 1:6

Upvote 0