✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel that I'm probably going to Hell.

Yet I don't feel afraid anymore. It used to bring me to tears but not for the past day.

I'm still going to try to follow Jesus and do as God commands, to the amount that I can, but even then I don't think I'll go to heaven.

I can't help but feel my best isn't good enough.

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yet I don't feel afraid anymore. It used to bring me to tears but not for the past day.

I'm still going to try to follow Jesus and do as God commands, to the amount that I can, but even then I don't think I'll go to heaven.

Well, Jesus4Ever, that is why Jesus died, sis.............to do for us what our 'best' couldn't do for us. Jesus died so He could perfectly mediate between us and the Father and bestow upon us perfect forgiveness as we daily reach out to Him in faith.

So, if you've decided to try to follow Jesus and do as God commands, you're in a good position. Remember..........He's only asking us to have faith that is at least as large as a "mustard seed." And that is not very big.

In other words, don't beat yourself up; just keep looking to Christ and let Him help you pick yourself up each day, despite what you feel. :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

J4E, your best ISN'T good enough. That's true for all of us.

Once you get beyond the arguments of the "Faith but Works" crowd, the advocates of the idea of saving oneself by doing enough good deeds to induce God to grant salvation in return...you will see the situation with totally different eyes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Jesus died to pay the penalty for people who's best is not good enough.. You do not seem to believe Jesus..

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I can relate to that . The gospels/Jesus Christ set a high benchmark. But apparently our best is good enough. That's our burden. We have to live with our imperfect selves. But somehow take the focus off ourselves, having trust and confidence that Jesus in us will make up the shortfall.
EDIT
oops my learned friends here feel that our best isn't good enough for God, oh dear

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You are correct. You fall impossibly short.
Your feelings are dead on.

The reason for any "Faith" needed in Christianity is becasue
our best efforts will never make us perfect enough to be
in the presence of God Himself. But, even while we were
still sinners, God sent His only Son to die for our sins.

God did this to bridge the gap that will always exist between
us and God. With "Faith" a person must accept the sacrifice
to cover for our being less than perfect.

Once that Faith is established, God then puts us all in the
class of "Forgiven" rather than being "in debt" for every
thought we have independant of God's plan for us.

We don't ever deserve to go to Heaven, but Jesus gives
us a free-pass anyway. It's a gift to be thankful for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

I can understand that feeling, I know that rut. It seems like a good idea to me to seek biblical love (explore what it is and have good relationships) and maybe fast? If you can?

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I can relate to that . The gospels/Jesus Christ set a high benchmark. But apparently our best is good enough. That's our burden. We have to live with our imperfect selves. But somehow take the focus off ourselves, having trust and confidence that Jesus in us will make up the shortfall.
EDIT
oops my learned friends here feel that our best isn't good enough for God, oh dear

I think you said the same thing. Christ coverd our imperfections, our sins, on our own our works cannot save us. As in, an athiest however "good" could not save him/her self from even one sin.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think you said the same thing. Christ coverd our imperfections, our sins, on our own our works cannot save us. As in, an athiest however "good" could not save him/her self from even one sin.
I hope so. i'm not sure though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,589.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I can't help but feel my best isn't good enough

Can you explain why what you are 'feeling' has anything to do with whether you are saved or not?

Historical fact Jesus lived, walked, taught, died and rose again.
Spiritual fact we are saved by faith alone, good works only show that we have faith.

Turn this around. You live in a house etc, yes, do you live there because you 'feel' that is your home or do you live there because legaly it is your home.

You are a Christian because of Jesus alone.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That our friend's post seemed to offer two different and opposing views on the subject.
But apparently our best is good enough. That's our burden. We have to live with our imperfect selves. But somehow take the focus off ourselves, having trust and confidence that Jesus in us will make up the shortfall.

Of course, I could have misread it. But that was my initial impression.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

You have yourself living in torment and it doesn't have to be that way. I really hope you will listen to the 54 minutes and 45 seconds of this message: Saved by grace through faith not of works video - Bing video

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That our friend's post seemed to offer two different and opposing views on the subject.

Of course, I could have misread it. But that was my initial impression.
I think the first line is like, it's not impossible to be saved, but still with the second we cannot save outselved Christ has to bridge the gap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeerGlow

Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Whichever it is, this is Christian Advice and therefore I'm wary of accidentally turning the thread into any debate rather than continuing to focus on the OP.
Good point, any advice to the OP?

• Haha
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  1. My advice to J4E was that so long as we think salvation is a matter of how much we do to please God, there will remain a good chance that we will feel depressed at our failings, just as J4E explained. Once we understand that we cannot earn heaven but that Jesus paid the price for sin, that mood usually changes. Indeed, that is almost the exact story of how Dr. Martin Luther turned his life around--a journey that I'd recommend reading up on in case there is anyone else who feels there's no way he can do enough to earn salvation.

Upvote 0