• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Is this all marketing, are we being duped?

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by JohnB445, Dec 15, 2018.

1. JohnB445

JohnB445 Well-Known Member

+671
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    When I was new I was very confused what Bible to get because of all the controversy, I used the NIV at first and people told me to use the KJV only. I couldn't understand the KJV English as well, so I got an ESV.

I believe regardless of what Bible you use, ESV, NASB, KJV. It is God's perfect word, and the Holy Spirit will assist you through the scriptures. For someone to say it's not perfect, doesn't sound right at all.

When looking for my first Bible I was flooded with marketing advertisements, this one caught my eye and it doesn't seem right they are judging the Word of God and treating it like a regular book saying their "translation" is better like its the Bible Olympics or something.

Here was the advertisement picture uploaded below. Why judge the Word of God like its a regular book? They come out with these new versions like there is no tomorrow and charge a good amount for their new "translation" or version like the other Bible's weren't good enough.

Here is their advertisement picture.

Attached Files:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+6,725
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    The best translation is the one you understand.

3. Apologetic_Warrior

Apologetic_Warrior Pilgrim

+3,186
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I believe in the inspiration, infallibility, and the unpopular inerrancy of Scripture (in the original languages, the autographs which are not known to still be in existence, understandable considering the natural properties of papyrus). That said, all English Bibles are translations, it is a word used to describe a process of translating from one language into another, in the instance of the Christian canon, from Hebrew, (Koine) Greek, and Aramaic.

Not all translations are equal, nor as accurate, nor were translated with the same "philosophy" of translating. Some translation philosophies aim more at word for word while others aim for "thought for thought" or meaning using common current language, still others attempt to achieve a balance between the two. I recommend reading translators notes, including the translator notes for the 1611 KJV.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  4. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,994
    Christian
    Single
    I like KJV because of "what they say", and because I'm now used to it. In my view, it has a certain poetic (is that the right word?) air about it, it's beautifully written, and the way it's written/worded makes it seem even more important/believable to me.

It's true, KJV is hard to impossible to understand at times, but I start with that and if I need an alternative, I won't hesitate to use one. Not sure what alternative is best, but I have heard some do change the meaning substantially, while I think most of them are probably pretty much right on target.

There will always be people trying to make a buck off even something so sacred as a bible, and I would separate that completely, and not let it sway me a bit when choosing a version of the bible.

5. Radagast

Radagast has left CF Supporter

+7,277
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    No, they are saying that you need a balance between readability and literal accuracy. This is correct. The CSB (which is an updated version of the HCSB) is indeed more readable than the ESV and the KJV, and it is indeed more literal than the NIV and the NLT.

You are being very unfair to the godly people behind the CSB (in fact, what you say is slander).

The CSB is a good translation. And it was not done "to make a buck" (it's published by B&H, which is a nonprofit publisher belonging to the Southern Baptist Convention). See here for information about the CSB.

I personally haven't read the CSB enough to decide if it's the best in the world. But it's pretty good.

Well, readability can certainly be judged just like a regular book. One can count up long sentences, for example.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  6. JesusYeshuaisLord

JesusYeshuaisLord Member

+77
    New Zealand
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I personally enjoy the Amplified bible as it gives you multiple word translations + it references 'linked' verses as you read so you don't really have to use a concordance. So it's easier when you do a bible study. Discovered the ESV recently. It's a bit hard to understand sometimes but I like it. I think KJ is hard to understand.

No one can prevent God from giving us the truth so he will always guide ppl to the right bible for each person.