Is the Earth Flat?

Degrees of Earth flatness:

• It's not flat. It's a giant, spinning spaceball.

Votes: 90 82.6%
  • It's flat, but all the other planets are giant, spinning spaceballs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's flat, and a dome surrounds it.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • It's flat, a dome surrounds it, and the Earth is the center of the universe.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • It's flat, domed, and planets/stars are actually illusions/objects in the dome.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • It's all of the above, and the government is covering it all up at the behest of Satan.

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It's a common noun to describe them all at once.

Well back to why we started this discussion.

You ask why i did not vote and i stated that you did not have and actual choice representing the Bibles description of creation.

So again why i did not vote and will not vote because i will not vote for a choice where illusions/objects would be part of my choice.

Now if you want to say that is the same as actually using sun, moon and stars. That is fine with me if you want to word it that way. But again i will not select a choice like that, so i will not vote.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Another verse from the Bible, which exposes the lie of the earth as a globe.

After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was illuminated with his glory.

• Informative
Reactions: Siddhi Koli
Upvote 0

KitKat1230

Truth Seeker
Oct 7, 2019
California
✟43,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe the Earth is a round sphere because scientists, including astronomers, and astronauts have made discoveries throughout the millennia. The Bible is not, and was never meant to be, a science book. It is the story about God and his children, and about how Christ became a man, died for our sins, and rose again. The Bible was never meant to tell us everything about everything. Scientific discoveries of our round earth, our heliocentric galaxy, the other planets in the galaxy besides Earth, other galaxies such as the Andromeda galaxy, and other things do not contradict the Bible. The Bible is still true if these things exist. God is still real if these things exist. God still created the Earth if these things exist. Jesus still came and died for our sins if these things exist. These scientific findings do not change that.

You can be a Christian and believe that God created a heliocentric galaxy with multiple planets. You can be a Christian and believe in other galaxies. You can even be a Christian and believe in extraterrestrial life forms, though there have been no findings of life supported by the other planets and moons in the galaxy, except scientists do believe there may have been ancient microbial life on Mars's surface once.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But does it matter if they want to believe the earth is flat? Does this belief affect their day to day life or faith?
Perhaps not, but it does indicate a particular mindset. If you can believe that the earth is flat, what other insane nonsense are you going to buy into? Stolen elections? Vaccines making you magnetic? Implanting tracking chips? Mind control? Chemtrails? Illuminati? QAnon?

We have seen on more than one occasion the danger of believing the utterly absurd claims of the QAnon cult - a guy fired shots into a pizza place because Q told the idiots that there was a satanic pedophile ring run out of the basement (the pizza place did not actually even have a basement). Q told the idiots that Trump was going to root out all the pedophile leftists, even as conservative after conservative gets arrested for child sex trafficking, etc.

So while being gullible/stupid enough to think the earth is flat in and of itself is not a huge deal, people that can be driven to believe that can also be driven to believe in more sinister lies and nonsense and worse - to act on them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: KitKat1230
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
But does it matter if they want to believe the earth is flat? Does this belief affect their day to day life or faith? I don't think it does, no more than believing the earth is a globe does. People still wake up in the morning go about their day and turn in at night. They still read the Bible and go to worship. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe I should stick to flying potato and see if it changes anything.

Coffee4U,

The shape of the earth, sphere or flat disk, does not have any bearing on my life or my belief in God.

However, there are numerous people who were non believers, atheists or just lost souls. These people, for some reason, heard about the FE concept, looked into it and from their own research into it .... have come to the conclusion that it is a flat disk.

For them, the flat disk with a dome over top, like a typical snow globe, led them to conclud that there is no way for evolution to be true. There is no way for that model to exist without having a creator as the biblical account suggests.

From that, they embraced the bible and have become bible believing Christians and now are part of Christs church.

So, no, your belief in the shape of the earth does not determine if you are saved or not.. However, to some their understanding and belief in the shape of the earth has brought them to salvation.

In the end, I don`t personally care. What really bothers me is when people ridicule and condescend those that have the FE view.

Some day we will know all truth and the shape of our earth will be part of that.

The anger that some folks exhibit when someone claims that the earth is flat is a huge window into their character.

• Friendly
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Coffee4U,

The shape of the earth, sphere or flat disk, does not have any bearing on my life or my belief in God.

However, there are numerous people who were non believers, atheists or just lost souls. These people, for some reason, heard about the FE concept, looked into it and from their own research into it .... have come to the conclusion that it is a flat disk.

For them, the flat disk with a dome over top, like a typical snow globe, led them to conclud that there is no way for evolution to be true. There is no way for that model to exist without having a creator as the biblical account suggests.

From that, they embraced the bible and have become bible believing Christians and now are part of Christs church.

So, no, your belief in the shape of the earth does not determine if you are saved or not.. However, to some their understanding and belief in the shape of the earth has brought them to salvation.

In the end, I don`t personally care. What really bothers me is when people ridicule and condescend those that have the FE view.

Some day we will know all truth and the shape of our earth will be part of that.

The anger that some folks exhibit when someone claims that the earth is flat is a huge window into their character.

I don't understand the anger, to me it isn't an important issue. Not something large like, is Jesus God or not, or is baptism or sabbath keeping required for salvation. Those to me are important issues.

I do believe creation vs evolution can become a salvation issue- for some people. I am sure others carry on their whole lives somehow marrying the two together but I think its a small step from theistic evolution to full evolution and not needing a creator. After all what else does an atheist believe in? If flat earth helps some then who am I to stop them? I am only concerned with evolution creeping or is it now stampeding? Into the church. I honestly had no idea it was so widely accepted until joining CF. I come from a country town and my church teaches creation, I thought most churches did. To see so many Christians wanting to uphold what I believe to be a satanic deception was quite shocking.

Some day we will indeed know the truth about all things and I am sure much will be like nothing mankind has even imagined.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand the anger, to me it isn't an important issue. Not something large like, is Jesus God or not, or is baptism or sabbath keeping required for salvation. Those to me are important issues.

I do believe creation vs evolution can become a salvation issue- for some people. I am sure others carry on their whole lives somehow marrying the two together but I think its a small step from theistic evolution to full evolution and not needing a creator. After all what else does an atheist believe in? If flat earth helps some then who am I to stop them? I am only concerned with evolution creeping or is it now stampeding? Into the church. I honestly had no idea it was so widely accepted until joining CF. I come from a country town and my church teaches creation, I thought most churches did. To see so many Christians wanting to uphold what I believe to be a satanic deception was quite shocking.

Some day we will indeed know the truth about all things and I am sure much will be like nothing mankind has even imagined.
I , too, was surprised, when I came to CF, how many Christians hold to the theory of evolution or theistic evolution.

One night after our cell group, the hosts and the pastor and I were chatting and the only ones left. The host, sensing that the question needed to be asked, questioned our pastor if he held to the literal six days of creation. We were both standing there, mouths agape, when he said he wasn't sure but was leaning toward six literal days.

Sad, but Christ did say that there would be scoffers in the end times.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I , too, was surprised, when I came to CF, how many Christians hold to the theory of evolution or theistic evolution.

One night after our cell group, the hosts and the pastor and I were chatting and the only ones left. The host, sensing that the question needed to be asked, questioned our pastor if he held to the literal six days of creation. We were both standing there, mouths agape, when he said he wasn't sure but was leaning toward six literal days.

Sad, but Christ did say that there would be scoffers in the end times.

The way I see it is we all have issues we are weaker on. Maybe it's controlling our temper or substances like alcohol or maybe for some its these proofs shown by the world. I imagine that these proofs can seem very hard to overlook and then the idea that scripture might be interpreted to fit into it might be very persuasive to some people.
It really reminds me of the garden and how Satan used the appeal to the senses to trick Eve. When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it.
Every sin comes down to the mind/flesh overriding the spirit, even lack of faith does. Peter sunk beneath the waves due to what his senses told him. The spirit was willing the flesh was weak. I feel this is similar with the mind going the way of worldly proofs.
Proverbs 14:12
There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.

Right now they may only be scoffing at 6 day creation which they don't believe is affecting their faith in Christ (Although I believe it is which is why it weights upon me) But what will happen if science comes out with proofs against the resurrection? I can see mass falling away.

Hopefully he didn't just say that to appease you both.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Looks flat there on the screen behind these people at the start.

upload_2021-9-16_20-42-57.png

upload_2021-9-16_20-45-35.png

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would like to look at this question of a flat earth from the perspective of the philosophy of science. Note this field is slightly different than just science. The philosophy of science is where, for instance, you might place the discussion of Schrödinger's cat. So with that said, let me begin.

Suppose the earth is actually really and truly flat. In addition, suppose we consider a mapping of all the points in the flat earth model to all the points in the "accepted" model of a round earth. This includes all the points on the surface of the earth as well as all the points above and below the surface. In short, it includes all the points in the entire universe. (Actually two models of the universe: one in which the earth is flat and the other in which the earth is round.) Students of topology may object that such a mapping cannot exist without positing a singularity somewhere on the surface of the round earth that maps to a point not on the flat earth. So let's go ahead and assume that too. All we have to do is place that singularity somewhere on the round earth where no one ever goes. I'm sure we could find someplace near the poles that would do nicely. I claim that such a mapping between a plane and a sphere does exist (except for the singular point on the sphere), and that the mapping is continuous almost everywhere. That is, small changes in one point result in small changes in its counterpart in the other model.

With all that set up, let us now posit the rules of physics in the flat earth model that are defined so that they correspond to the rules of physics that we are familiar with in the standard model of the earth. I claim that under all those assumptions, people living on the flat earth under those very unique rules of physics will experience the world exactly the same as they would if the world were round. That's because the rules of physics have been chosen to do just that. Therefore it might be the case that the world is flat, even though it appears round.

Now that I have set up this theory I will explain why in the philosophy of science, it should be rejected in favor of the standard model. The point is, our understanding of the world that we gather from our experience in the world is formed so as to allow us to make predictions on what will happen. The rules of physics necessary to make the flat earth world seem like the round earth world are ridiculously complex. There is no way anyone could deduce them from experience alone. By contrast, the rules of physics in the round world are simple enough to deduce. For example, gravity behaves in the same way in every part of the universe. The same is true of other rules of physics. But the rules of physics in the flat earth world are not uniform across space. So what we do is choose the model of the world that makes it possible to understand how that world works. If the round earth model makes the most sense, then that's the model we use. Science is not equipped to make philosophical statements. Science is practical. That's why primitive man may have thought the world was flat because in his experience that model was the easiest to analyze. It didn't take long before that model was challenged as soon as people noticing how the mast of ships was the last to disappear over the horizon, or until they travelled far enough north or south to notice a different angle of the sun. But for people who did not build ships or did not travel more than 50 miles from home, the flat earth model made sense.

Fast forward to Einstein and relativity. This was fairly recent challenge to the then-standard model of Newtonian physics. It required a much more complex understanding of things like time and distance. But as our experience expanded we modified our model of the world to explain that experience. Does that mean people were wrong to have believed the Newtonian model of the universe before then? Of course not. The model explained the experience they had, and so was the correct model for them to adopt at the time.

Returning to the flat earth question, we see that the choice of model is not driven by some universal notion of truth. Rather it is a practical choice that facilitates our dealing with the world in which we find ourselves. Currently, that is not a flat earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Do you get your way to receive God's free gift of Eternal life (salvation) from science, if not. Do you get information of angels and what they are from science, if not. Do you get your information about prophecy from science, if not. Do you get your information about who Jesus is from science, if not.

Then why are you getting your creation information about God's creation from science and not the Bible.

Upvote 0

KitKat1230

Truth Seeker
Oct 7, 2019
California
✟43,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you get your way to receive God's free gift of Eternal life (salvation) from science, if not. Do you get information of angels and what they are from science, if not. Do you get your information about prophecy from science, if not. Do you get your information about who Jesus is from science, if not.

Then why are you getting your creation information about God's creation from science and not the Bible.

False equivalency. The Bible only tells us what we need to know about God's creation of the earth, God's people, Jesus, and the start of the Christian Church. Like I've said before, the Bible was not created to be a science book or the be-all, end-all of all knowledge. That's Sola Scriptura to an extreme, with a particular, rigid interpretation of Scripture. Also, many of the verses of the Bible describe the Earth as a circle.

What Does the Bible Say About Round Earth? (openbible.info)

But I suppose us "Globe Earthers" are wasting our time. If scientific evidence won't convince Flat Earthers, if the Bible won't convince Flat Earthers, then I guess nothing will.

Oh well, lo que sera, sera.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
False equivalency. The Bible only tells us what we need to know about God's creation of the earth, God's people, Jesus, and the start of the Christian Church. Like I've said before, the Bible was not created to be a science book or the be-all, end-all of all knowledge. That's Sola Scriptura to an extreme, with a particular, rigid interpretation of Scripture. Also, many of the verses of the Bible describe the Earth as a circle.

What Does the Bible Say About Round Earth? (openbible.info)

But I suppose us "Globe Earthers" are wasting our time. If scientific evidence won't convince Flat Earthers, if the Bible won't convince Flat Earthers, then I guess nothing will.

Oh well, lo que sera, sera.

So tell, how do you change up the Bible to make these God inspired accounts of God's creation. To work with the lies of science.

Then Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel:

“Sun, stand still over Gibeon;
And Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.”
So the sun stood still,
And the moon stopped,
Till the people had revenge
Upon their enemies.

Is this not written in the Book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day. And there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the Lord heeded the voice of a man; for the Lord fought for Israel.

-

And the word of the Lord came to Isaiah, saying, “Go and tell Hezekiah, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of David your father: “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; surely I will add to your days fifteen years. I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria, and I will defend this city.” ’ And this is the sign to you from the Lord, that the Lord will do this thing which He has spoken: Behold, I will bring the shadow on the sundial, which has gone down with the sun on the sundial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward.” So the sun returned ten degrees on the dial by which it had gone down.

_

This last one is Jesus, speaking i guess He does not know that science states, that stars are trillion, billion, light years away from earth.

“Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven,and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Reactions: Siddhi Koli
Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another verse from the Bible, which exposes the lie of the earth as a globe.

After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was illuminated with his glory.

You think the whole earth cannot be illuminated because if it was a sphere it cannot be illuminated entirely, the earth is in His hand surely He can.

Psalm 95:4
In His hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to Him.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You think the whole earth cannot be illuminated because if it was a sphere it cannot be illuminated entirely, the earth is in His hand surely He can.

Psalm 95:4
In His hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to Him.

There is no globe earth (there are only people who believe there is) so there is no need to even consider any verse from the Bible as applying to a globe earth.

People even had to change up one verse in the Bible to even have a hit at a globe earth. But the verse translated the way it is, is not supported from any other part of the Bible (Tanakh or New Testament).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.