Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can record 3hrs 10 hrs 2 weeks 1 month it will not matter the shadows will not move.

Have you ever seen a crescent moon? How about a half-moon? Maybe a full moon? You've seen all 3? Guess what! You've seen the shadows move. :)

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is little wonder then that the flat earth notion persisted so long and that the bible was used to support it. After all the flat earth was the biblical worldview. Should it concern us that the bible supported this notion? Not at all! We do not need to rush to its defense and use weasel words to somehow prove to ourselves that the bible authors had the same worldview that we do. We must realize that these authors lived in a historical context and that the language and ideas that they used fit that context as well.

The etymology of Hebrew terms shows that early Israelites saw the Earth as flat, with a solid domed sky above. By the time of Jesus, a literate Jew would have laughed at the notion of a flat Earth.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever seen a crescent moon? How about a half-moon? Maybe a full moon? You've seen all 3? Guess what! You've seen the shadows move. :)
That is just me not being able to communicate a idea in writing. I am a poor writer and especially when it come to communicating ideas which comes from an (unofficial diagnosis of dyslexia being that i am older (50+) and these thing were not look into in my youth).
I addressed this in a previous post. but i will restate again. i am saying that the sun has never caused the shadows to move. the light of the moon going through its stages causes the change of the moons light. so shadows change because of the moon not the sun. My two videos prove that because if the moon was lit by the sun then there would have been a change in the time i recorded those videos. i could have even recorded the next day and those shadows would have been the same because the moon had not change its light very much by the next day. I will look into that on another time.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That is just me not being able to communicate a idea in writing. I am a poor writer and especially when it come to communicating ideas which comes from an (unofficial diagnosis of dyslexia being that i am older (50+) and these thing were not look into in my youth).
I addressed this in a previous post. but i will restate again. i am saying that the sun has never caused the shadows to move. the light of the moon going through its stages causes the change of the moons light. so shadows change because of the moon not the sun. My two videos prove that because if the moon was lit by the sun then there would have been a change in the time i recorded those videos. i could have even recorded the next day and those shadows would have been the same because the moon had not change its light very much by the next day. I will look into that on another time.

You mention the moon going through its stages because of the moon rather than the sun. Can you explain then why part of the moon is lit while the rest isn't, and why shadows are cast in the location between the lit and unlit section? Take a close look and you'll see that the features on the moon are casting those shadows, the same as when the sun's light casts shadows from objects here on earth. How can a light do that from inside the moon?

If you had an inflated balloon with a light bulb inside, and there were small objects attached to the outside of the balloon, you would not see those objects cast light against the outside the balloon.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My two videos prove that because if the moon was lit by the sun then there would have been a change in the time i recorded those videos. i could have even recorded the next day and those shadows would have been the same because the moon had not change its light very much by the next day. I will look into that on another time.

Your videos don't prove what you want because the shadows did change ... you just have never acknowledged that truth.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

hiwaystar

May 30, 2018
Good ole 'Merica
✟18,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe the Earth is round; but I also believe there's a reason why the Bible seems to imply a flat Earth.

Here's the reason: if God told ancient nomads that the Earth is round, they might think there's a spot to hide from God--which conveniently consists of half the globe. But if they instead think the Earth is flat, they'd be convinced that they couldn't hide from God.

Of course, God doesn't lie; but He doesn't need to state out the obvious all the time as well.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe the Earth is round; but I also believe there's a reason why the Bible seems to imply a flat Earth.

Here's the reason: if God told ancient nomads that the Earth is round, they might think there's a spot to hide from God--which conveniently consists of half the globe. But if they instead think the Earth is flat, they'd be convinced that they couldn't hide from God.

Of course, God doesn't lie; but He doesn't need to state out the obvious all the time as well.

You make a good observation here.
He seems to show tell people about that which they can relate to, which means what they can see for themselves. To people who had limited means of travel, and no way to fly, the earth seemed flat a small. It would have made no sense for God to go into details that they couldn't relate to. That's just Genesis and the rest of the OT we're talking about. When we get into John's views in Revelation where he is shown future events, the vocabulary is related to what was known at that time. Having John write about computers and airplanes and other things we have today would have made no sense to anyone back then. In fact, if someone were to time travel 1,000 years into our future, the words and descriptions used to describe it would no doubt have to be scaled back to what we can understand now. Otherwise, it would be useless knowledge that would be of no benefit.

• Agree
Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EDM1

Sep 21, 2016
USA
✟15,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Isaiah 40: It is he [God] who sits above the circle of the earth.”

The Hebrew word for circle is "Khug" which means either a 3-dimensional circle (sphere) or 2-dimensional circle (disk). In various NON-English Bibles, the word appears as sphaera, globus, globo, and orbis.

• Winner
Reactions: FEZZILLA
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Wow! Learning so much.. amazing stuff out there folks. Still looking into things going far as possible as I can. :)

With 1,373 posts in this thread, it would seem that all questions that could possibly be asked should already have been answered.

• Agree
Reactions: NobleMouse
Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm really starting to believe that our Earth is really flat and not a globe like the world leads us to believe and need others thoughts on this as well.

In Genesus 1:6-9 we read (lets look at the word firmament and what it's really saying) and in verses 14,15,17 it's talking about the sun and moon and stars

6,And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7,And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8,And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day
9,And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry landappear: and it was so.
14,And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15,And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
17,And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

There also been documentaries on earth being measured and found not to be round/globe as the world wants us to believe.

P.S copy and pasting from kjv blueletterbible thanks on any other thoughts on this.
Please read post #110 & 111 on the link below
The Holy Bible Teaches Globe Earth.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
If we examine our local universe there are a number of observations that must be consistently explained:

1. tidal effects on earth

2. moon's near side "locked' to earth

3. phases of the moon

4. retardation of the moon's 'rising'

5. seasons of the earth

6. seasonal 24 hour days and nights in the arctic and antarctic

7. coreolis effects on earth

8. Foucault's pendulum

9. precession of the earth's axis

10. apparent daily rotation of the "fixed stars" about the pole star

11. this rotation being in opposite directions at the two poles

12. motion of the "wandering stars" (planets) including retrograde motion

13. earth-moon centre of gravity orbits

14. eclipses of the sun, moon and planets

15. northern and southern lights

16. meteors, asteroids and comets

17. moons and/or rings around other planets

18. people in the southern hemisphere observe the moon "upside down" relative to those in the northern hemisphere

19. there are certainly other effects that I have missed

There is only one self consistent model/theory that explains all of these observations and that is the present cosmology of our solar system. This does not explain why these objects behave as they do, it only provides a very refined model that accounts for all the observed effects.

Now add into this the experimentally verified non-relativistic laws of motion and of gravity, known as Newtonian or classical mechanics, and we now have the why that explains the model in a near perfect manner. It is so successful that it has enabled us to send people into earth and moon orbits, to the moon itself and return to earth. We have been able to navigate probes to all the planets and beyond. People have stood on our moon and observed our planet rotating in front of them in real time. Any other cosmology finds it necessary to suspend known laws of science, hypothesize supernatural intervention and invoke a conspiracy theory extending over centuries involving tens of millions of people a great many of whom are Christian.

In Old Testament times it is certainly true that they regarded the earth as flat in a three tiered universe --- flat with a sky-dome (the firmament) overhead. Just like the rapture theory and the trinity theory, the flat earth worldview is nowhere stated explicitly but it is alluded to in many places. There are also many old testament and even a few new testament stories that are only to be understood in a flat earth context. Generally this flat earth was regarded as circular but we are in places told that it has four corners and is supported by pillars and that there are storehouses for the snow and hail. Of course this seems very primitive to us today but we must remember that these scriptures come out of a far less sophisticated culture. A culture that was deeply suspicious of anything Gentile. It may well be that some of the educated elite were aware of the Greek notion of a spherical world but with an illiteracy rate of about 90% the common people certainly were not. The scriptures were most likely written with the naivety of the common people in mind and used language that would not stretch their credulity too far.

In New Testament times, the young Christian church had a similar suspicion of paganism. Over a period of several centuries it systematically destroyed all things pagan. Temples, shrines, academies, libraries and universities were pulled down and burned. Their priests, teachers and professors were tortured and executed often in front of bloodthirsty Christian mobs. They destroyed not just spiritual works but any book even the slightest bit tainted by paganism even if it was on astronomy, medicine, engineering, technology, mathematics, geography, history or architecture. This massive loss of the underpinnings of civilization contributed in part to the decline and fall of the Roman Empire and the subsequent thousand years of the Dark Ages. In AD 380 after a yet another wave of persecution, the 95 year-old hierophant Nestorius, ended the Eleusinian Mysteries and announced the predominance of mental darkness over the human race. How very ironic and prophetic!

It is little wonder then that the flat earth notion persisted so long and that the bible was used to support it. After all the flat earth was the biblical worldview. Should it concern us that the bible supported this notion? Not at all! We do not need to rush to its defense and use weasel words to somehow prove to ourselves that the bible authors had the same worldview that we do. We must realize that these authors lived in a historical context and that the language and ideas that they used fit that context as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Daniel 4:11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the ENDS OF ALL THE EARTH: (KJV)

The phrase "ends of the earth" has never been interpreted to mean the shape of the earth. It literally means the far reaches of the earth and its extremities. It has nothing to do with the shape of the earth.

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; (KJV)

This passage has nothing to do with the shape of the earth either.

Psalm 96:10 "Say among the nations, "The LORD reigns." The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity." (NIV)

Psalm 96:10 is another tebel verse which means "the habitable globe."

"Tell it out amonge the Heathen, that the Lorde is kynge: and that it is he, which hath made the rounde worlde so faste, that it can not be moued, and howe that he shall iudge the people righteously" (1537 Matthew's Bible).

"Say ye among the nations, Jehovah reigned: also the habitable globe shall be prepared, it shall not be moved: he will judge the peoples in uprightness" (1876 Julia E. Smith Bible).

Does the Bible Teach a Stationary Earth That Never Moves?

One of the more favorite arguments from flat earthers are verses which say how the earth shall not be moved. This expression in modern English carries the opposite meaning that it originally meant in Hebrew. So in order to understand this ancient expression it is necessary to seek out an ancient scholar to define what it means.

How Do We Properly Interpret verses that say how the earth shall not be moved? St.Ambrose, a prominent 4th century church father, explains what those passages mean:

“How the disposition of the earth therefore depends upon the power of God, you may learn also where it is written: ‘He looketh upon the earth and maketh it tremble,’ and elsewhere: ‘One again I move the earth.’ Therefore, the earth remains immovable not by its balances, but is moved frequently by the nod and free will of God, as Job, too, says: ‘The Lord shaketh it from its foundations, and the pillars thereof tremble.’ And elsewhere: ‘Hell is naked before him and there is no covering for death. He stretched out the north over the empty space and hangeth the earth upon nothing. He bindeth up the waters in his clouds. The pillars of heaven fled away and are in dread at his rebuke. By his power the seas are calmed, by his wisdom is struck down the sea-monster, and the gates of heaven fear him.’
By the will of God, therefore, the earth remains immovable. ‘The earth standeth for ever,’ according to Ecclesiastes, yet is moved and nods according to the will of God. It does not therefore continue to exist because based on its own foundation. It does not stay stable because based on its own props. The Lord established it by the support of His will, because ‘in his hand are all the ends of the earth.’ The simplicity of this faith is worth all the proffered proofs.
Let others hold approvingly that the earth never will fall, because it keeps its position in the midst of the world in accordance with nature. They maintain that it is from necessity that the earth remains in its place and is not inclined in another direction, as long as it does not move contrary to nature but in accordance with it. Let them take occasion to magnify the excellence of their divine Artist and eternal Craftsman. What artist is not indebted to Him? ‘Who gave to women the knowledge of weaving or the understanding of embroidery?’ However, I who am unable to comprehend the excellence of His majesty and His art do not entrust myself to theoretical weights and measures. Rather, I believe that all things depend on His will, which is the foundation of the universe and because of which the world endures up to the present” (St.Ambrose, "Hexameron" The Fathers Of The Church series translated by John J. Savage, pp.22-23).

So the immovable earth is an expression that means how the earth, which is suspended in space over nothing, will not fall or drift away from the laws God ordained for it; that the earth maintains its position in the solar system without corruption, as the laws ordained are fixed laws and will not change.

Origen (185-254 A.D.)

Origen is a Ante-Nicene church father who wrote On First Principles, which is the very first book on Theology ever written by a Christian. The following quotation is taken from the John C. Cavadini edition.

“Certainly what some say of this world, that it is corruptible because it was made, and yet does not go to corruption because the will of God, who made it and preserves it from being mastered by corruption, is stronger and more powerful than corruption, may more rightly be believed of that world which we have above called a “fixed” sphere, because by the will of God it is in no way “subject to corruption” (cf.Rom 8:20, 21), for the reason that it has not admitted the causes of corruption."

Notice how Origen calls this earth a "fixed sphere" which means the laws ordained by God for this earth will not go into corruption. When God created this earth and all that there is therein, He called it "very good" which means God did not create this earth to fall down from its position in the solar system or float away into space etc. That is what the immovable earth verses mean.

"The Lord reigneth; let the people tremble: he sitteth between the cherubims; let the earth be moved" (Ps.99:1).

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ecclesiastes 1:5 "The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises." (NIV)

Ecclesiastes 1:5

The entire Book of Ecclesiastes is Solomon’s conclusion of his life’s journey. The Book contains a wealth of wisdom which even today one will do well to learn from. Even though Solomon fell deeply into idolatry and embraced pagan gods and did what he pretty much wanted to do; he did, in the end, realize that in his error he accomplished nothing more than chasing after the wind. His final conclusion to the meaning of life was to love and obey the Lord and keep His Commandments. Ecclesiastes is not a Book of Prophecy, but contains King Solomon’s personal testimony according to his own perspective. This does not mean the Book is rubbish and unworthy to be read. On the contrary, his wise testimony should be read by everyone!

“The sun riseth, and the sun goeth down, and draweth to his place where he riseth”(Ecc.1:5, 1599 Geneva Bible).

While this verse has been used to describe the sun rising and setting, it has also been used to describe the sun circling the earth. This sun, as literally read, draweth to his place where he riseth. If indeed we are to take this literally, and I believe that to be the case with this verse, then the sun is circling the earth. I simply do not see any sign of figurative speech in this verse, and believe that this verse is to be interpreted as a sun circling the earth. God did not reveal to the Jews all there is to know about scientific mysteries. The Jews, including all the Biblical writers, were not gods nor were they God. They were just as subject to human err as you and I are. God revealed to them only what He thought would be of greater importance, such as the salvation of the world. It is only by God’s wisdom that He did reveal some modern scientific knowledge to His servants so that we, the future readers, will know that He is the Lord. But we also must know that the Bible itself is not the object of worship as it is not God. God’s servants, the Prophets, were people, ordinary people, who were chosen by God to deliver His message to the people of earth.
We must understand that the Bible was never meant to be a science textbook. The message in the Bible is there to secure our souls for a more important afterlife. Such content demands more attention than physical science. God left science up for people to discover, as God wanted mankind to explore His creation and enjoy what He had made. But many will automatically ask the question: Well if the sun goes around the earth in the Bible, what else in the Bible contains scientific errors? A reasonable question to ask. I have arrived to the conclusion, which I firmly believe is the correct conclusion, that there is only one scientific blunder in the Bible (Ecc.1:5) and that deals with the circuit of the sun. But this err in the Bible has absolutely no impact on the infallible message the Lord has given to us on earth. Perhaps, when Solomon fell into idolatry, his view of the sun was shaped by pagan philosophers of his time.
Lastly, I firmly believe that God revealed the spherical shape of the earth to Job first, which Solomon well understood, and then God delivers that message again to Isaiah. There is no question that Isaiah 40:22 is straight out prophecy from the LORD. God may have revealed a stationary sun to Job, but what was revealed could not have been understood until the modern era. So the Bible does teach a stationary sun (Job 38:12; Psalm 19:4) and a mobile sun (Ecc.1:5), depending on whether you are reading Job or Ecclesiastes. But one thing we can be certain about is how the earth is a sphere and, in the Bible, the sun travels around this sphere in Ecc.1:5 . So even an err of a circling sun in Ecclesiates proves the earth is round! I do believe God searches for humble hearts and does not like a man so proud as to believe he is above the knowledge of God.
Yes, I believe the Bible is the authoritative word of God and I hold this belief very dearly and do not stray from it. My reasons for writing this section were to increase faith and not to decrease it. For when people are told for centuries that the sun in the Bible is stationary in all verses, and then see Solomon speaking about a circling sun, then the Bible student reads that, this can cause one to lose faith over something so small. Its small because it has no impact on the Message. Most importantly: Think with a clear mind and do not let your mind dwell on sensations which are demonic and unnecessary to dwell upon. The unstable mind will dwell on little things and turn little things into major issues. But the Lord wants us to keep a level head and a clear mind, and not to live in conspiracy and in constant suspicion. Just keep your eyes set on Christ and stay in the Word daily and you will be saved for your faith. But when you lose faith over little matters that mean nothing, you lose your soul for an eternity over nothing that mattered.

*Note: When I wrote this short write-up on Ecc.1:5, I was also studying the Geneva Bible at the time. As it turns out, the Geneva Bible is the worst translation of the 16th century. However, since the verse quoted here was accurately translated I didn't switch it out for another translation but left it as it is.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Isaiah 40:22 "He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in." (NIV)

Isaiah 40:22, חוּג chûwg

Outline Of Discussion:
Hebrew Masoretic Text
Corpus Of English Translations
A Brief Explanation
Hebrew Lexicons
Bible Commentaries
Chuwg: How It Was Understood By The Ancient Church

Hebrew Masoretic Text:

הישׁב על חוג הארץ וישׁביה כחגבים הנוטה כדק שׁמים וימתחם כאהל לשׁבת

"Which sittith on the cumpas of erthe, and the dwelleris therof ben as locustis; which stretchith forth heuenes as nouyt, and spredith abrood tho as a tabernacle to dwelle" (1382 Wycliffe Bible).

"That he sytteth vpon the Circle of the worlde, and that all the inhabitours of the worlde are in coparison of him, but as greshoppers: That he spredeth out the heaues as a coueringe, that he stretcheth them out, as. a tent to dwell in" (1535 Coverdale Bible).

"That he sytteth vpon the circle of the worlde, and that al the inhabytours of the worlde are in comparison of him, but as greshoppers: That he spredeth out the heauens as a coueryng, that he stretcheth them out, as a tent to dwell in" (1537 Matthew's Bible)

"that he sytteth vpon the circle of the worlde, and that all the inhabitoures of the worlde are in comparyson of him, but as greshopers. That he spredeth out the heauens as a couerynge, that he stretched them out, as a tent to dwell in" (1539 Great Bible).

"He sitteth vpon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grashoppers, hee stretcheth out ye heauens, as a curtaine, and spreadeth them out, as a tent to dwell in" (1560 Geneva Bible).

"It is he that sitteth vpon the circle of the world, whole inhabiters are [in comparison of him] but as grasshoppers: *he spreadeth out the heauens as a couering, he stretcheth them out as a tent to dwell in" (1568 Bishop's Bible).

"It is he that sitteth upon the globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts: he that stretcheth out the heavens as nothing, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in" (Douay-Rheims Bible).

“It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in” (KJV).

"He sitting upon the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants as locusts; he stretching out the heavens as fine cloth, and he will extend them as a tent to dwell in" (1876 Julia E. Smith Bible).

“It is He who sits above the circle of the earth,
And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,
Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in” (NKJV).

“It is He who sits upon the circle of the earth,
and the inhabitants are as grasshoppers,
who stretches out the heavens as a curtain,
and spreads them out as a tent to dwell in” (MEV).

“God sits above the circle of the earth.
The people below seem like grasshoppers to him!
He spreads out the heavens like a curtain
and makes his tent from them” (NLT).

“It is he who sits above the circle of the earth,
and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
and spreads them like a tent to dwell in” (RSV).

“It is he who sits above the circle of the earth,
and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
who stretches out the heavens like a curtain,
and spreads them like a tent to dwell in” (ESV).

"God is enthroned above the circle of the earth;
its inhabitants are like grasshoppers.
He stretches out the heavens like thin cloth
and spreads them out like a tent to live in" (HCSB).

"He who is sitting on the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants [are] as grasshoppers, He who is stretching out as a thin thing the heavens, And spreadeth them as a tent to dwell in" (YLT).

The English word “circle” is the Hebrew “Chuwg,” which means to describe a circle, circuit---compass, as in a compassing circle (as in a globe shape, 3D circle).Therefore chuwg (or khug) is used to describe a circle that compasses itself. The English word compass used as a verb means to surround; to encircle; to environ; to stretch round, while encompass (also used as a verb) is to form a circle around; to encircle. As a noun the word compass means a magnetic or electronic device used to determine the cardinal directions (usually magnetic or true north). The flat earth conspiracists reject the four cardinal directions in their flat earth model. Flat earthers reject the reality that the polar regions (North and South) exist.
Chuwg had always meant to be understood as a 3D circle -- a globe, sphere, orb.
https://wikidiff.com/compass/encompass…

The earth also looks circular from space.

The New Strong’s Expanded Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible,

H2328. חוּג Chuwg, kloog; a prim. root [comp.2287]; to describe a circle:--compass [1x]."

H2329. חוּג Chuwg, khoog; from 2328; a circle:--circle [1x], circuit [1x], compass [1x].".

Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon, H2329: "חוּג m. a circle, sphere, used of the arch or vault of the sky, Pro.8:27; Job 22:14; of the world, Isa.40:22."
sphere-circle.png

Chuwg: circle, circuit, compass, sphere.

Jamieson, Fausset & Brown: Commentary on the Whole Bible,

“It is he--rather, connected to the last verse, Have ye not known?--have ye not understood Him that sitteth...? (vs.26) [MAUDER]. Circle--applicable to the globular form of the earth, above which, and the vault of the sky around it, above it, He sits. For “upon” translate “above.” as grasshoppers--or locusts in His sight (Num.13:33), as He looks down from on high (Ps.33:13, 14; 113:4-6).”

Matthew Henry's Commentary,

"Now that which is here said of God is (1.) That he has command of all creatures. The heaven and the earth themselves are under his management: He sits upon the circle, or globe, of the earth, v. 22. He that has the special residence of his glory in the upper world maintains a dominion over the lower world, gives law to it, and directs all the motions of it to his own glory. He sits undisturbed upon the earth, and establishes it. He is still stretching out the heavens, his power and providence keep them still stretched out, and will do so till the comes that they shall be rolled together like a scroll. He spreads them out as easily as we draw a curtain to and fro, opening these curtains in the morning and drawing them close again at night. And the heaven is to this earth as a tent to dwell in; it is a canopy drawn over our heads, et quod tegit omnia coelum --- and it encircles all. --Ovid. See Ps.104:2 (2.) That the children of men, even the greatest and mightiest, are as nothing before him. The numerous inhabitants of this earth are in his eye as grasshoppers in ours, so little and inconsiderable, of such small value, of such little use, and so easily crushed. Proud men's lifting up themselves is but like the grasshopper's leap; in an instant they must stoop down to the earth again. If the spies thought themselves as grasshoppers before the sons of Anak (Num.13:33), what are we before the great God? Grasshoppers live but awhile, and live carelessly, not like the ant; so do the most men. (3.) That those who appear and act against him, how formidable soever they may be to their fellow-creatures, will certainly be humble and brought down by the mighty hand of God."

The Bible Knowledge Commentary (1985 Edition)

“God’s sovereign control over the world (40:21-26). 40:21-22. From His sovereign position in heaven God watches over His created universe. You (used four times in v.21) refers to people in general. The force of the first question, for example, is “Doesn’t everyone know this?” (cf. v. 28) The Lord is like a king sitting enthroned above the circle (hug, “horizon,” which is circular; cf. Job 26:10: Prov.8:27) of the earth and over His people who by comparison seem like mere grasshoppers. The heavens (the sky) are pictured as spread out like a tent for Him to live in (cf.Ps.104:2). Isaiah was not presenting a detailed idea of God’s abode. He was merely using imagery that his readers would easily understand.”

Henry Morris Study Bible,

“40:22 circle of the earth. Hebrew khug, translated “compassed” in Job 26:10 and “compass” in Proverbs 8:27. All three, in context, clearly refer to the spherical shape of the earth.
40:22 stretcheth out the heavens. This phrase is possibly a reference to the expanding universe, as envisioned by modern astronomers. There are numerous references in Scripture to the “stretching-out” or “spreading-out” of the heavens (space) when God created the universe. See, for example, Job 9:8; Psalm 104:2; Isaiah 42:5; 44:24; 51:13; Jeremiah 10:12. Alternatively, the “heavens” referred to here may refer simply to the atmospheric heavens, spread out like a curtain or “tent to dwell in” around a circle of the earth. This atmospheric “tent”, refracting and spreading light over the hemisphere, is sharply distinct from the darkness outside.”

Here is 4th century Bishop Ambrose giving a reading from Isaiah 40:22.

"And further on: 'Who sitteth upon the globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts, who stretcheth out the heavens as an arch?' Who, then, ventures to put his knowledge in the same plane with that of God?” (St.Ambrose, "Hexameron" The Fathers Of The Church series translated by John J. Savage, p.231).

† Jerome's Latin Vulgate,

"qui sedet super gyrum terrae et habitatores eius sunt quasi lucustae qui extendit velut nihilum caelos et expandit eos sicut tabernaculum ad inhabitandum."

The Latin word gyrum (also gyrus) translates as circle/globe/orb in English.
https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/t...qULBDnQ-5WDWDzB63e3secUI598Ouozluc64iU8BCSE7A

The Douay-Rheims Bible is an English translation of Jerome's Latin Vulgate:

"It is he that sitteth upon the globe of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as locusts: he that stretcheth out the heavens as nothing, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in" (Douay-Rheims Bible).

The English "circle" is meant to be understood as a 3D circle as seen from space.
planet-earth-facts.jpg

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Job 9:6 He shakes the earth from its place and makes its pillars tremble. (NIV)

The pillars in this verse poetically describes the foundations of the earth. Job also says the earth is suspended in space over nothing.

Job 26:11 The pillars of the heavens quake, aghast at his rebuke. (NIV)

Here again pillars is being used poetically. In this verse it means angels. Job 26:7 is a direct reference to the earth and it says nothing holds up the earth.

Job 26:11,

“The pillars of heaven tremble and are astonished at his reproof” (KJV).

Other Translations:

"The very pillers of heauen tremble & quake at his reprofe" (1537 Matthew's Bible).

“The pillars of heaven tremble,
And are astonished at His rebuke” (NKJV).

“The pillars of heaven tremble
and are astonished at His reproof” (MEV).

Ancient Christian Commentary, Vol.VI, Job

“THE MEANING OF PILLARS AND SEA. PHILIP THE PRIEST: “The pillars of heaven tremble and are frightened at his nod.” We interpret the word pillars as the stability that is permanent only in the nature of angels, because they are not only constantly persisting in holiness but also splendid in the glory of eternal blessedness. Indeed about the future immobility of humanity, the Son of God said, “Those who prove victorious I will make into pillars in the sanctuary of my God.” But the church, which is the congregation of all saints, is said to be the pillar and foundation of truth thanks to its eternal stability in the Lord.”

The verse is speaking about angels.

The word pillars carries a very broad meaning in the Bible and is an interchangeable word which goes alongside foundation/foundations. TWOT (Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament) describes "pillars" to mean a basic term for "stand", or "to take one's stand" to "stand firm, fast" or "to stand up, get up," or "to stand before Yahweh." It is used to even describe the church:

1 Tim.3:15: “But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.”

The next verse describes James, Peter and John as pillars:

Gal.2:9: “And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.”

This verse means that James, Cephas (aka., Peter) and John were pillars of the Christian movement, which also means they seemed to Paul like leaders of authoritative strength. And indeed they were. Also notice how Paul’s fellowship was accepted by these three pillars of the church. Peter was called the Rock by Jesus but he didn’t literally mean Peter was an actual rock. Jesus knew Peter was a man and not a literal rock.

Here is another verse often cited by flat earthers which means the exact opposite of a flat earth.

1 Samuel 2:8,

"He reyseth vp the poore out of the duste, and lyfteth vp the begger from the dong hill: to set them among princes, and to enheret them with the seate of glory. For the pyllers of the earth are the Lordes, and he hath set the rounde worlde vpon them" (1537 Matthew-Tyndale Bible).

Here again the word pillars is being used figurative to mean "saints," or in this case, poor saints. For God does not abandon the poor and hears their cries for help. The wealthy who did not listen to them will be judged harshly. God will elevate the poor and make them more wise than princes.

Lastly, the Hebrew word tebel is used here which means "the inhabitable globe." William Tyndale was the only translator to have correctly rendered it to read "round world."

Amos 9:6 The One who builds His upper chambers in the heavens and has founded His VAULTED DOME over the earth, He who calls for the waters of the sea and pours them out on the face of the earth, The LORD is His name. (NASB)

The NASB provides the most baseless rendering of this verse. Lets see what better translations say.

"He that hath hys dwellynge in heauen, & groundeth hys tabernacle in the earth: He that calleth the waters of the sea, and poureth them out vpon the playne grounde: hys name is the Lorde" (1537 Matthews Bible).

"He buildeth his spheres in the heauen, and hath laide the foundation of his globe of elements in the earth: hee calleth the waters of the sea, and powreth them out vpon the open earth: the Lord is his Name" (1560 Geneva Bible).

"He buyldeth his spheres in the heauen, & hath layde the foundation of his globe of elementes on the earth: he calleth the waters of the sea, and poureth them out vpon the open earth, the Lorde is his name" (1568 Bishop's Bible).

"He building his ascents in the heavens, and founding his arches upon the earth; he calling to the waters of the sea, and he will pour them forth upon the face of the earth: Jehovah his name" (1876 Julia E. Smith Bible).

"It is he that buildeth his stories in the heaven, and hath founded his troop in the earth; he that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: The Lord is his name" (KJV).

"It is He that buildeth His spheres in the heaven, and hath founded His troop on the earth. He that calleth for the waters of the sea and poureth them out upon the face of the earth—the Lord is His name" (KJ21).

"who builds His chambers in the heavens,
and founds His vault over the earth;
who summons the waters of the sea,
and pours them out upon the surface of the earth—
the Lord is His name" (MEV).

“who builds his upper chambers in the heavens
and founds his vault upon the earth;
who calls for the waters of the sea
the Lord is his name” (ESV).

“He who builds His layers in the sky,
And has founded His strata in the earth;
Who calls for the waters of the sea,
And pours them out on the face of the earth—
The Lord is His name” (NKJV).

“Who is building in the heavens His upper chambers; As to His troop, Upon earth He hath founded it, Who is calling for the waters of the sea, And poureth them out on the face of the land, Yahweh [is] His name” (YLT).

"who builds his upper chambers in the heavens,
and founds his vault upon the earth;
who calls for the waters of the sea,
the Lord is his name" (RSV).

The NASB is the only Bible that ideologically translated the verse to mean dome.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

Johnny Slick

Nov 9, 2018
Houston, TX
✟1,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm really starting to believe that our Earth is really flat and not a globe like the world leads us to believe and need others thoughts on this as well.

In Genesus 1:6-9 we read (lets look at the word firmament and what it's really saying) and in verses 14,15,17 it's talking about the sun and moon and stars

6,And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7,And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8,And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day
9,And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry landappear: and it was so.
14,And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15,And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
17,And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

There also been documentaries on earth being measured and found not to be round/globe as the world wants us to believe.

P.S copy and pasting from kjv blueletterbible thanks on any other thoughts on this.

The earth is flat. No one has ever observed a round earth.

Upvote 0