Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not every human chooses to touch,and not everyone is lead to.

So what would lead you to the point where you have no choice but to touch?

A husband that makes you cry for sex is one example.

Upvote 0

Josephus

<b>Co-Founder Christian Forums</b>
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Not so whatsoever. That is a Christian interpretation.

I read recently of a few Haredi (ultra Orthodox Jews) groups in Israel that teach their girls how to touch starting at about age 7. In Judaism it is considered a sin to deny one’s self a pleasure that is not forbidden, and masturbation is NOT considered forbidden.

And the death of Onan was NOT for masturbating; it was for denying his deceased brother Er a child/offspring to inherit his property.

On the contrary, in Judaism it is fully understand that not only is spilling one's seed a sin, but it is the gravest of all sins.

The Hebrew word for masturbation is onanut - derived from the person of the same root name found in the Torah:

“But Onan, knowing that the seed would not count as his, let it go to waste whenever he joined with his brother’s wife, so as not to provide offspring for his brother.”

The prohibition of masturbation for both men and women

Failure to fulfill levirate marriage does not incur a heavenly death penalty. If so, the Torah would not have provided a means for a man to not marry his deceased kin's wife. Instead, it was the act that was recorded, namely the wasting of seed, that Onan and later his brother were judged for. That the Torah indicates that a Heavenly death penalty is incurred for such, places such sin right on the level or worse than murder, adultery, or idolatry. And it is not surprising that Jewish sages through the ages concur that this is so. This stance is not a Christian invention by any means.

By the way, that link above goes to a website by Jews for Jews and others seeking to stop spilling their seed, and committing other such sins. Guard Your Eyes - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
On the contrary, in Judaism it is fully understand that not only is spilling one's seed a sin, but it is the gravest of all sins.

The Hebrew word for masturbation is onanut - derived from the person of the same root name found in the Torah:

“But Onan, knowing that the seed would not count as his, let it go to waste whenever he joined with his brother’s wife, so as not to provide offspring for his brother.”

The prohibition of masturbation for both men and women

Failure to fulfill levirate marriage does not incur a heavenly death penalty. If so, the Torah would not have provided a means for a man to not marry his deceased kin's wife. Instead, it was the act that was recorded, namely the wasting of seed, that Onan and later his brother were judged for. That the Torah indicates that a Heavenly death penalty is incurred for such, places such sin right on the level or worse than murder, adultery, or idolatry. And it is not surprising that Jewish sages through the ages concur that this is so. This stance is not a Christian invention by any means.

By the way, that link above goes to a website by Jews for Jews and others seeking to stop spilling their seed, and committing other such sins. Guard Your Eyes - Maintaining Moral Purity in Today's World

Do you have any idea how many sperm one male produces in a life time? Billions (at least). So if any one of those "puppies" gets "spilled" that's... worse than... genocide?

:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Is it just me, or does something seem a bit off?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
THen why do chassidic and other orthodox Jewish young men (yeshiva students) regularly [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] during their prayers? **

** From the book “Eros and the Jews”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Do you have any idea how many sperm one male produces in a life time? Billions (at least). So if any one of those "puppies" gets "spilled" that's... worse than... genocide?

:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Is it just me, or does something seem a bit off?

Intentional spilling of seed is the intentional killing of one's children and is thus equated to murder. Think of it this way, each seed is its own unique DNA. Each time someone purposefully spills it to kill it, is to kill each unique DNA signature, never again in the history of the universe to exist. Ever.

The fact that billions are produced, and die on their own, does not absolve the responsibility one incurs when they take action to make them die intentionally. Yes, it's mind boggling. But then again, so is the gravity of it. People have come back from near death experiences where each one of those intentionally spilled seeds, were spiritual entities that were later used as witnesses against them in the heavenly court, crying out that they were murdered by their father as they were no longer able to enter the world and live, and that they were used to fuel for the dark spiritual forces that were to be assigned to torment the perpetrator in Gheninnom.

Upvote 0

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
THen why do chassidic and other orthodox Jewish young men (yeshiva students) regularly [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] during their prayers? **

** From the book “Eros and the Jews”

I've never read the book, but such an activity would be an abomination, and by the rabbis I've studied under, anyone encouraging such would probably be in serious trouble both in this life, and in the life of the world to come.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Intentional spilling of seed is the intentional killing of one's children and is thus equated to murder. Think of it this way, each seed is its own unique DNA. Each time someone purposefully spills it to kill it, is to kill each unique DNA signature, never again in the history of the universe to exist. Ever.

The fact that billions are produced, and die on their own, does not absolve the responsibility one incurs when they take action to make them die intentionally. Yes, it's mind boggling. But then again, so is the gravity of it. People have come back from near death experiences where each one of those intentionally spilled seeds, were spiritual entities that were later used as witnesses against them in the heavenly court, crying out that they were murdered by their father as they were no longer able to enter the world and live, and that they were used to fuel for the dark spiritual forces that were to be assigned to torment the perpetrator in Gheninnom.

Yet if you are not engaged in sexual intercourse; they'll die anyways and if you are engaged in sexual intercourse only the one that fertilizes the egg will survive. So what's the difference if they die from being [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] into your pajamas during sleep, into a woman's body, into your hand, or get reabsorbed by the body?

Do you know what sperm consist of? They have 23 chromosomes, a protein cellar membrane, a tip that contains enzymes, a tail that propels them and mitochondria that feed the tail. That's it.

A female egg is actually a complete cell with a complete compliment of chromosomes. It doesn't shed the extra 23 until after it's fertilized. The only thing you inherit from your father are chromosomes. All other cell organelles that make up all the cellular structures in your body came from your mother.

Yet, eggs that aren't fertilized die too. Just like we slough off skin cells, cut our hair and clip our nails. Sperm are not people until conception occurs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's arguably a sin for those who think it's sinful.

Romans 14:23

The Bible is relatively silent on the subject, but I wouldn't want to encourage people to go against their conscience.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I've been following this thread and it seems to me that many things have become conflagulated together. Stuff about biology, stuff about the law. Seems to me to be an awful lot of confusion.

Who here (besides me) has changed more than 10 diapers on a male baby? Infants get erections and if they had sperm, they'd [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] it. Yet an infant has not the neurological connections in the brain to even understand what is going on, none to say "sin" about it. Same thing happens to female babies, it's just not obvious as it is with a male.

Now, (trying to recall from breastfeeding) if my son usually got erections from eating? Urinating did that to him. I'd assume so because it was usually in one end and out the other. He always peed and pooped while eating. Feeding him also would cause my uterus to contract. All this has biological purpose; not specifically having to do with "sex" but still produced a type of euphoria. Popping another human being out of your own body after 9 months is a pretty wild experience! My husband never understood this though. The child was perceived by him as a "threat". Husband had psychological issues - but anyways.

Anybody besides me been around 2 to 3 year old boys who've discovered their reproductive organs? "Mommy, why is my pee pee sticking up?" "It's just part of biology kid. It'll stop sticking up an a couple of minutes." Then they start playing with it. "Dear, if you want to do that; you have to go to your room. That's between you and God and no-one else, until and unless you decide to get married." "Huh?? What mommy???" then two minutes later they're playing with their feet.

All of this is a normal part of biology. Arousal happens as part of natural cycles of blood shunted to various organs for the purpose of cellular maintenance and keeping the body parts functioning correctly. It aint even thought dependent.

You want to curb libido and end nocturnal emissions; stick a guy in active combat for a month or longer. Stress lowers testerone production. Preoccupation with sex interferes with a soldier's ability to not get killed. So that's usually a self correcting issue. LOL

So.... Jesus Christ being a biological entity with a fully functioning male body - Ya think this stuff happened to Him too? I'd venture to conclude (despite upsetting the squeamish) the answer to that question would be - Yes!

Upvote 0

Josephus

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2000
Kerbal Space Center
✟150,343.00
Faith
Messianic
Yet if you are not engaged in sexual intercourse; they'll die anyways and if you are engaged in sexual intercourse only the one that fertilizes the egg will survive. So what's the difference if they die from being [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] into your pajamas during sleep, into a woman's body, into your hand, or get reabsorbed by the body?

What's the difference if someone dies by tornado, by car accident, by gunshot from your hand with intent, or by sickness? Three of the above are dead by the hands of Heaven, yet one is dead by your hand. It's the same scenario as shooting people in their seats to kill them, while the plane itself is on its way to a fiery crash. "They'll die anyways" is never a justification to be a willful instrument of death. If so, then murder could be justified since anyone alive "will die anyways" at some point within the next 120 or so years.

The bible is clear that murder is wrong. And it is clear from the logic in the bible that spilling seed intentionally is equal to murder or worse, since it incurs the death penalty by the Heavenly court.

Do you know what sperm consist of? They have 23 chromosomes, a protein cellar membrane, a tip that contains enzymes, a tail that propels them and mitochondria that feed the tail. That's it.

A female egg is actually a complete cell with a complete compliment of chromosomes. It doesn't shed the extra 23 until after it's fertilized. The only thing you inherit from your father are chromosomes. All other cell organelles that make up all the cellular structures in your body came from your mother.

Yet, eggs that aren't fertilized die too. Just like we slough off skin cells, cut our hair and clip our nails. Sperm are not people until conception occurs.

Actually, each sperm is its own unique combination of DNA. No two sperm are alike. And when combined with an egg from a woman, it will grow into a unique individual that is completely reliant upon that DNA to exist. The Torah even hints at the loss of this unique life-that-will-never-be for a woman's egg in the fact that women are to immerse after menstruation. It is no wonder then that the Torah says the same thing for a man when he spills his seed, that he too must immerse, since his seed too is a life-that-will-never-be, whether spilled unintentionally or intentionally. The Torah just goes through the extra step to address intentional spilling as worthy of death at the hands of Heaven (not men), and Judaism considers it the worse possible sin a man can commit that not only destroys their soul and reward in this world, but also their soul and reward in the world to come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
What's the difference if someone dies by tornado, by car accident, by gunshot from your hand with intent, or by sickness? Three of the above are dead by the hands of Heaven, yet one is dead by your hand. It's the same scenario as shooting people in their seats to kill them, while the plane itself is on its way to a fiery crash. "They'll die anyways" is never a justification to be a willful instrument of death. If so, then murder could be justified since anyone alive "will die anyways" at some point within the next 120 or so years.

The bible is clear that murder is wrong. And it is clear from the logic in the bible that spilling seed intentionally is equal to murder or worse, since it incurs the death penalty by the Heavenly court.

Actually, each sperm is its own unique combination of DNA. No two sperm are alike. And when combined with an egg from a woman, it will grow into a unique individual that is completely reliant upon that DNA to exist. The Torah even hints at the loss of this unique life-that-will-never-be for a woman's egg in the fact that women are to immerse after menstruation. It is no wonder then that the Torah says the same thing for a man when he spills his seed, that he too must immerse, since his seed too is a life-that-will-never-be, whether spilled unintentionally or intentionally. The Torah just goes through the extra step to address intentional spilling as worthy of death at the hands of Heaven (not men), and Judaism considers it the worse possible sin a man can commit that not only destroys their soul and reward in this world, but also their soul and reward in the world to come.

A sperm is not a person and neither is an egg; so thus the analogy of being killed in a natural disaster as opposed to murder does not apply. If it did; the Scripture would tell you to execute men who "spilled their seed".

:scratch::scratch::scratch: - Yet there is no such command now is there?

Have you ever considered that maybe bathing after sex, after mensuration, after giving birth, after touching a dead body..... what ever the case may have been that made one "unclean" (outside of the allegorical meaning) had a purely practical purpose?

Allegorically "Lo I come in the volume of the book it is written of me" is speaking of Christ; what would you suppose the meaning of some of this would be?

Upvote 0

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cool. So if you get married when you're 19 and your spouse abandons you physically a week later, and you live to be 119, it's the will of God that you spend several decades suicidal, beating your head against the sidewalk when no one's looking, and then maybe another half century just lying and staring and waiting to die. Sounds like a good Christian life to me.

Really, if that is how you would feel if you were denied masturbation, you already have a problem and need to seek spiritual help. You need to learn to put these energies to better use.

Upvote 0

Ing Bee

Son of Encouragement
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2018
East Bay
✟78,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This brief article will help with your question:

Church’s view of masturbation - Questions & Answers
Basically, I agree with the article. But let's assume for a second that "self-love" is not sinful, per se. Is it beneficial? I think not, and for the following reasons:
  • If you are intending to be married some day, you are practicing an anti-relational activity which will become a habit. In marriage, normal tensions often tempt married individuals to use sexual intercourse as a weapon: withholding your body as punishment or using sex as a "bribe". Masturbation creates the ability to "please yourself" regardless of your spouse who becomes an obstacle to your happiness rather than an image-bearer of the Most High God, and a gift to be treasured. When conflict arises, we revert to our habits. If you have developed a habit of meeting your own needs apart from relationship, you delay opportunities for reconciliation and self-giving love (agape). Practicing self-control now will produce a habit of self-control in marriage. Practicing self-centered activity now (including masturbation) will produce similar effects.

• If you're not planning on getting married, but are gifted to serve the Lord whole-heartedly as an unmarried believer, you are still engaging in a self-centered activity which produces fruit that is not of the Spirit.
Additionally, masturbation is nearly always linked with inappropriate contentography and hence is established in lust and turning an image-bearer into an object. To put it mildly, lust is not a fruit of the Spirit...

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So God creates us with hormones and sex drive that manifest in the teen years when we are least equipped to deal with it all and when we fail it is a sin? I think making it a big deal can be harmful. We should try to be chaste. Chastity is a virtue. It is Godly. But failure is inevitable for a young adult. But to do it casually, with no sense of regret or desire to improve chastity would immature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've skimmed through the thread at this point, but I want ask a question that some people may have already addressed--

does anyone actually think masturbation is good and should be actively pursued, or is it more just this is better than fornication?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Basically, I agree with the article. But let's assume for a second that "self-love" is not sinful, per se. Is it beneficial? I think not, and for the following reasons:
  • If you are intending to be married some day, you are practicing an anti-relational activity which will become a habit. In marriage, normal tensions often tempt married individuals to use sexual intercourse as a weapon: withholding your body as punishment or using sex as a "bribe". Masturbation creates the ability to "please yourself" regardless of your spouse who becomes an obstacle to your happiness rather than an image-bearer of the Most High God, and a gift to be treasured. When conflict arises, we revert to our habits. If you have developed a habit of meeting your own needs apart from relationship, you delay opportunities for reconciliation and self-giving love (agape). Practicing self-control now will produce a habit of self-control in marriage. Practicing self-centered activity now (including masturbation) will produce similar effects.

• If you're not planning on getting married, but are gifted to serve the Lord whole-heartedly as an unmarried believer, you are still engaging in a self-centered activity which produces fruit that is not of the Spirit.
Additionally, masturbation is nearly always linked with inappropriate contentography and hence is established in lust and turning an image-bearer into an object. To put it mildly, lust is not a fruit of the Spirit...
The idea that masturbation is necessarily connected with inappropriate contentography is ahistorical. For most people at most times, there was no inappropriate contentography.

Further, one wonders (again) what people are to do when they get married in good faith and their partner effectively dumps them and openly says they refuse counseling and have zero intention of changing.

The idea of a self-centered activity is interesting, though. So if one's spouse was willing but not "into it," should one also refrain from sex - permanently - because it would be self-centered?

What other activities are self-centered to the point of being sinful? Getting haircuts so as to conform to fashions of the world, etc?

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I also have spent a lot of time researching this topic, and came to the exact opposite conclusion.

If it is a sin, why did it get described in the Song of Solomon in positive terms?

Although I did research this topic, I think I could have spent more time on it. This is a gray area. I've since deleted my post as it's in error. There is no evidence in the Bible that states masturbation is a sin.
My reasoning for calling it a sin was this: Jesus said if one even looks at his neighbor with lust he has committed adultery. He's not literally talking about your neighbor but fantasizing about any woman you find hot that's walking the streets. And so given that one usually masturbates alone, it gives the mind a lot of opportunity to fantasize about the woman at the office, or the waitress at the restaurant, or whatever. I don't how enjoyable or practical masturbation would be if one is simply thinking of their taxes or what they're going to have for dinner while doing their thing. I personally choose to picture a hot woman. And so in my case, I consider this a sin.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Although I did research this topic, I think I could have spent more time on it. This is a gray area. I've since deleted my post as it's in error. There is no evidence in the Bible that states masturbation is a sin.
My reasoning for calling it a sin was this: Jesus said if one even looks at his neighbor with lust he has committed adultery. He's not literally talking about your neighbor but fantasizing about any woman you find hot that's walking the streets. And so given that one usually masturbates alone, it gives the mind a lot of opportunity to fantasize about the woman at the office, or the waitress at the restaurant, or whatever. I don't how enjoyable or practical masturbation would be if one is simply thinking of their taxes or what they're going to have for dinner while doing their thing. I personally choose to picture a hot woman. And so in my case, I consider this a sin.
You might check out @Dave-W 's post in this thread about that passage and its meaning.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If he is anything like I was at 17, a very strong physical need for release.

If you just focus your attention on those sensations, there is no need for lusting after anyone.

That's assuming that the OP never lust. If you can firmly say that for a 17 year old boy can do that everytime without visuals, then ok.

Even without visuals, masturbation isn't something you NEED to do, at all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.