Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello. I’m not quite sure if I’m posting in the correct area because I’m new to the site and forums in general, but here we go. I’m a 17 year old boy and lately I have been curious about this issue in the church. I would tend to lean more towards it NOT being sinful. However, I’m open to having my mind changed. I’ve researched this quite a bit and gathered various answers from both sides of the debate. Most answers I’ve gathered against masturbation involve scripture twisting or just aren’t logically sound (at least that is how I see them). I’ve asked my parents and pastors with no real answer. Obviously living in the United States, I cannot get married legally unless I have parental consent (I do not). So Paul’s advice in 1 Corinthians 7:9 doesn’t help since our cultures are different. So, that said, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello. I’m not quite sure if I’m posting in the correct area because I’m new to the site and forums in general, but here we go. I’m a 17 year old boy and lately I have been curious about this issue in the church. I would tend to lean more towards it NOT being sinful. However, I’m open to having my mind changed. I’ve researched this quite a bit and gathered various answers from both sides of the debate. Most answers I’ve gathered against masturbation involve scripture twisting or just are logically sound (at least that is how I see them). I’ve asked my parents and pastors with no real answer. Obviously living in the United States, I cannoot get married legally unless I have parental consent (I do not). So Paul’s advice in 1 Corinthians 7:9 doesn’t help since our cultures are different. So, that said, what are your thoughts?

You are more than the burning passions of your member. Pubescence can be rough; I don't ever want to be 17 again (no offense). But, without going too far into it, what made you ask the question?

In other words, what convicted you to ask whether something as allegedly normal as masturbation is right or wrong?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello. I’m not quite sure if I’m posting in the correct area because I’m new to the site and forums in general, but here we go. I’m a 17 year old boy and lately I have been curious about this issue in the church. I would tend to lean more towards it NOT being sinful. However, I’m open to having my mind changed. I’ve researched this quite a bit and gathered various answers from both sides of the debate. Most answers I’ve gathered against masturbation involve scripture twisting or just are logically sound (at least that is how I see them). I’ve asked my parents and pastors with no real answer. Obviously living in the United States, I cannot get married legally unless I have parental consent (I do not). So Paul’s advice in 1 Corinthians 7:9 doesn’t help since our cultures are different. So, that said, what are your thoughts?

This brief article will help with your question:

Church’s view of masturbation - Questions & Answers

Upvote 0

CLN

Aug 31, 2018
Rock Hill
✟9,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are more than the burning passions of your member. Pubescence can be rough; I don't ever want to be 17 again (no offense). But, without going too far into it, what made you ask the question?

In other words, what convicted you to ask whether something as allegedly normal as masturbation is right or wrong?
I appreciate the empathy, and no offense taken, it definitely is rough. Now, I don’t necessarily feel convicted. I don’t have that gut feeling of God saying I should stop. I just see the church seeming to bash sexuality in what I see as an unhealthy way.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I appreciate the empathy, and no offense taken, it definitely is rough. Now, I don’t necessarily feel convicted. I don’t have that gut feeling of God saying I should stop. I just see the church seeming to bash sexuality in what I see as an unhealthy way.

You may not see this as huge, but the very fact you notice, and the very fact that you (spiritually) acted on what you saw - even to go as far as to ask pastors/family, and eventually us here - lets me know you were convicted.

And, that is is a good thing. Even if you ask because you see a disproportionate amount of negative or positive attention toward something - that is a conviction.

Now, let me ask another question, and you can answer this to yourself: does masturbation require you to visualize another person in a sexual way?

Upvote 0

CLN

Aug 31, 2018
Rock Hill
✟9,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You may not see this as huge, but the very fact you notice, and the very fact that you (spiritually) acted on what you saw - even to go as far as to ask pastors/family, and eventually us here - lets me know you were convicted.

And, that is is a good thing. Even if you ask because you see a disproportionate amount of negative or positive attention toward something - that is a conviction.

Now, let me ask another question, and you can answer this to yourself: does masturbation require you to visualize another person in a sexual way?
I've seen this asked multiple times when searching for an answer. For me? No, I do not require visual or mental aid.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on the view of the church you go to.

My view is that it depends on the context. For a 17year old it is part of the journey. It is more virtuous to be chaste and to try to be chaste but failures will occur. But don't think it is a "mortal sin" as some Catholics do. As your hormones are activated you are under more stress and tempatation than most other people at other ages and probabaly have already developed a bit of a habit. Any habit is hard to break.

Upvote 0

CLN

Aug 31, 2018
Rock Hill
✟9,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It depends on the view of the church you go to.

My view is that it depends on the context. For a 17year old it is part of the journey. It is more virtuous to be chaste and to try to be chaste but failures will occur. But don't think it is a "mortal sin" as some Catholics do. As your hormones are activated you are under more stress and tempatation than most other people at other ages and probabaly have already developed a bit of a habit. Any habit is hard to break.
I attend a protestant church, specifically Church of God. From what I understand, I follow the idea of chastity pretty well, as I have never had intercourse. One thing I have realized is that masturbation helps curve temptation more than avoiding it. For me, not masturbating causes sexual tension that leads to lustful and immoral thoughts and desires.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I’m not quite sure if I’m posting in the correct area because I’m new to the site and forums in general, but here we go. I’m a 17 year old boy and lately I have been curious about this issue in the church. I would tend to lean more towards it NOT being sinful. However, I’m open to having my mind changed. I’ve researched this quite a bit and gathered various answers from both sides of the debate. Most answers I’ve gathered against masturbation involve scripture twisting or just aren’t logically sound (at least that is how I see them). I’ve asked my parents and pastors with no real answer. Obviously living in the United States, I cannot get married legally unless I have parental consent (I do not). So Paul’s advice in 1 Corinthians 7:9 doesn’t help since our cultures are different. So, that said, what are your thoughts?
Do you think about a woman with lust when you touch?

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh. on a woman to lust after her hath committed. adultery with her already in his heart. (Matthew 5:28)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CLN

Aug 31, 2018
Rock Hill
✟9,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think about a woman with lust when you touch?

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh. on a woman to lust after her hath committed. adultery with her already in his heart. (Matthew 5:28)
I was asked above, and no I don't.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Care to explain?
Sure. It's basically using the human body, sexually, in a manner that gratifies the flesh, and self. Sexual interaction and gratification is meant to occur within marriage between a husband and wife, naturally.

Upvote 0

CLN

Aug 31, 2018
Rock Hill
✟9,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sure. It's basically using the human body, sexually, in a manner that gratifies the flesh, and self. Sexual interaction and gratification is meant to occur within marriage between a husband and wife, naturally.
In my mind, just because something "gratifies the flesh" doesn't make it sinful. Like I said in the original post, I cannot get married. I happily would if possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
it is a sin if you have imaginations that are lustful. anything done in doubt is sin, for it is not done in faith. lust is a heart issue. and if you are imagining things in your mind, it is condoning lustful thoughts, it is condoning immoral activity, and frankly, if you are not married, I am not, neither of us have a right to think about any woman in an immoral way, nor is it right to pretend we are married to any woman we are not married to. also, it is a lust of the flesh. to tell you my opinion in this next sentence. if it is wrong to look at a woman to lust after her, I think it is wrong to indulge your flesh through masturbation.
Romans 14:20-23 20Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. 21It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall. 22So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. 23But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin.

this is talking about food, but still.
but let there not be a hint of sexual immorality mentioned among you. something like that.
I would not like to tamper with the wrath of God.
I don't know about you.
if it defiles your conscience, don't do it.

also, I used to be addicted to masturbation. but love God, He will set you free. lean on Him, not masturbation. He set me free from it when I fasted for a few days to quit. fast and pray. He will set you free. get rid of the phone if you struggle with inappropriate content, get a flip phone if you can. or one without internet access. it is worth it. and turn to God. trust in Him, He is infinitely better than any action that we can do to try to lean on. I also found that masturbation takes up our thoughts.
Galatians 5:19-21 19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Justasurvivor

Mar 5, 2019
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟12,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
to be honest I'm 17 I started partaking in this sin when I was 12 and I discovered inappropriate content when I was 15 right now I'm trying to retrace my steps to where I started just to be on the safe side bc I know inappropriate content is bad but masturbating is a slippery slope like that bible verse that people commonly use "if you look at a woman lustfully with your heart you already committed adultery" but the thing is that adultery is something between one that's married and one that's not and it can be between both people that are married but not to each other
so basically if in the future you were married and you look lustfully at a woman that's not your spouse that's sin and if you are still single and yet you look at a married woman in lust that's sin such and such forth

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.