✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Jeffery said:
I drank before I became a Christian, when I lived wicked,but God changed my heart thankfully. I don't think that a Christian should drink beer , wine or any strong drink.
So you think that for a Christian to put alchohol near his lips is a sin? Even in the light of the quotes i posted earlier. Maybe you mean "i dont think I should drink alchohol"

Remember Jesus was accused of being a drunkard because he went to parties and associated with the "dregs" of society. Remember his first miracle when he changed water into wine--- alchoholic wine i might add !otherwise why did the host say------ "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

You simply cant make broad sweeping statements that christians shouldnt do this or that unless what is being done is contrary to CLEAR teaching from scripture! Otherwise you end up with Peters attitude when he started to disassociate with those of the uncircumcised group of believers.
I too have been redeemed from a former life of promiscuity,drunkeness and addiction to other substances. I was never an alchoholic because that was a substitute when there were no drugs available to me, so i dont have a problem with limiting my intake to 2 cans of beer maybe once a week on a saturday night while watching a movie or playing a computer game. Im also friendly with a very godly former pastor of a large evangelical church here in Scotland who will take the occasional glass of whisky at hogmany time, this man is an anointed bible teacher and held in the highest regard around the world. Im also friends with a high ranking theologian who is a former alchoholic and cant even bear the smell of drink. In this mans company i would NEVER take alchohol, and neither would i in any persons company who had ever had a drink problem.
The real problem with alchohol for the christian is inebriation. if you are drinking for the affect then that is the wrong motivation and you should stop!! If you like the taste then its no more than drinking a cup of tea or coffee in which case you would only drink one or perhaps 2 cups in succession.

Upvote 0

pentecostal girl

Nov 19, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟817.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jeffery said:
I drank before I became a Christian, when I lived wicked,but God changed my heart thankfully. I don't think that a Christian should drink beer , wine or any strong drink.
I agree with you. To me alcohol is alcohol, no matter what you're drinking.

Upvote 0

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Bible says to abstain from all apperance of evil.

Also ask yourself. "What would Jesus do?" As Christians we are to strive to be Christ-like. Can you see Jesus camped out on the couch on Saturday night with a Budweiser. I don't think so.

I think by drinking you are being conformed to this world and not being transformed into the new creature in Christ Jesus that you should be.

Plus drinking destroys your witness to the lost. If a lost person sees you drinking they are going to say "If they're going to heaven, then so am I"

Upvote 0

JesusFreak06

Jun 27, 2003
louisiana
Visit site
✟15,252.00
Faith
Christian
oworm said:
So you think that for a Christian to put alchohol near his lips is a sin? Even in the light of the quotes i posted earlier. Maybe you mean "i dont think I should drink alchohol"

Remember Jesus was accused of being a drunkard because he went to parties and associated with the "dregs" of society. Remember his first miracle when he changed water into wine--- alchoholic wine i might add !otherwise why did the host say------ "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

You simply cant make broad sweeping statements that christians shouldnt do this or that unless what is being done is contrary to CLEAR teaching from scripture! Otherwise you end up with Peters attitude when he started to disassociate with those of the uncircumcised group of believers.
I too have been redeemed from a former life of promiscuity,drunkeness and addiction to other substances. I was never an alchoholic because that was a substitute when there were no drugs available to me, so i dont have a problem with limiting my intake to 2 cans of beer maybe once a week on a saturday night while watching a movie or playing a computer game. Im also friendly with a very godly former pastor of a large evangelical church here in Scotland who will take the occasional glass of whisky at hogmany time, this man is an anointed bible teacher and held in the highest regard around the world. Im also friends with a high ranking theologian who is a former alchoholic and cant even bear the smell of drink. In this mans company i would NEVER take alchohol, and neither would i in any persons company who had ever had a drink problem.
The real problem with alchohol for the christian is inebriation. if you are drinking for the affect then that is the wrong motivation and you should stop!! If you like the taste then its no more than drinking a cup of tea or coffee in which case you would only drink one or perhaps 2 cups in succession.

i totally agree with you!! you can't push your conviction onto someone else. i mean i don't believe i should drink, but other people may have a different conviction about it. you see my best friends parents are really strong christians but they have the occasional beer here and there. but they don't drink to the point of drunkeness. so it's by they're conviction. not yours.

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
mrstace said:
I think by drinking you are being conformed to this world
There were others who thought this way too:

MT 11:18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, `He has a demon.' 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, `Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

Im not advocating that ALL christians should drink beer and wine. Conformity to the world is not drinking one or two beers. if you think that is conformity to the world then what about watching tv , going to a football game, playing sports,listening to non christian music,doing a jigsaw puzzle which doesnt depict a christian theme or having any kind of conversation which doesnt include a christian theme?

Upvote 0

Stanfi

Senior Veteran
Aug 22, 2003
West Virginia
✟17,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
oworm said:
Im not advocating that ALL christians should drink beer and wine. Conformity to the world is not drinking one or two beers. if you think that is conformity to the world then what about watching tv , going to a football game, playing sports,listening to non christian music,doing a jigsaw puzzle which doesnt depict a christian theme or having any kind of conversation which doesnt include a christian theme?
If you want to get precise about it. I would say that they're are many things that we do that are not acceptable. If we would all take the time to refine our lives a little better. Then perphaps we would be better christians. Honestly, if we can't imagine Jesus doing it, then I don't think we need to be doing it!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lostgal said:
i was wondering whether drinking alcohol is wrong? u see, drinking wine/alcohol, damages our organs for example the liver. according to the Bible, we're not suppose to do anything which may hurt our organs. it is said that smoking is a sin. but what bout drinking? in the Bable, Jesus turned water into wine during a gathering and they drink it. so is it considered a sin?

its almost the same thing bout giving someone Euthanasia. wat if this guy's bed-ridden and is a burden to his family, and everybody's sure there's 0% of recovery. wat if he request for Euthanasia so that he can lessen his family's "already worst" situation? committing suicide is a sin? bout wat about this situation? if he isnt given Euthanasia, his family would be the one suffering n might starve to death. so wat's ur opinion?

and wat bout the late Iranian conjoined twins? it was of course a sad tragedy, but is it right to change their fate? ur opinions will be most appreciated. thanks.
No alcohol consumption by itself is not wrong. Overindulgence however can and often is.

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
mrstace said:
If you want to get precise about it. I would say that they're are many things that we do that are not acceptable. If we would all take the time to refine our lives a little better. Then perphaps we would be better christians. Honestly, if we can't imagine Jesus doing it, then I don't think we need to be doing it!!
Can't imagine Jesus drinking alcohol?

How did He institute the Eucharist? Ribena wasn't around in 30AD
Why was He criticised for eating and drinking by the pharisees? Why did they accuse Him of being a Winebibber.

I don't have to imagine Jesus doing it - the gospels clearly record He did.

I find it amusing that the same conservatives who oppose gun control on the grounds that "guns don't kill people - people kill people" will turn round and say that beer destroys families. It doesn't. People's abuse of alcohol is damaging - the stuff itself is not. Rather, as the Psalmist said, God gave us it to gladden our hearts.

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
mrstace said:
If you want to get precise about it. I would say that they're are many things that we do that are not acceptable.
Could you be more precise on that please?

mrstace said:
if we can't imagine Jesus doing it, then I don't think we need to be doing it!!
I cant imagine Jesus engaging in sexual intercourse (he never married) Does that mean we shouldnt get married and engage in sexual relations?

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Plus drinking destroys your witness to the lost. If a lost person sees you drinking they are going to say "If they're going to heaven, then so am I"

Or perhaps a lost person will remain lost because they 'think' it is a Doctrine of Christianity not to drink when in reality it is not. Perhaps they would see a Christian that uses alcohol responsibly as evidence that not all Christians are judgmental hypocrites but sinners working out their salvation with fear and trembling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think beer it a tool of God. I believe it is a tool of Satan that destroys lives families, you name it. So yes, I believe beer is evil.

Who created beer and wine ? After it was created, was it bad, or good ? Provide references please.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MayBee said:
Was the wine they drank in the day of Jesus grape juice or was it fermented?

At the coming of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost (Acts 2) we see that the Apostles were accused of being drunk early in the day. A bit hard to do with grape juice. There are also several admonitions not to abuse wine in Scripture, again this indicates that it was fermented.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.